With so many passwords required these days and the need to change many of them every 90 days or so, I've succumb to needing a safe place to store them to access as needed. I see BB has a standard pre-loaded app called Password Keeper. It seems easy enough to use - one password lets you in and you enter multiple passwords for safe keeping - but is it safe?

Since I plan to keep all of my passwords there, if someone opens it they could pretty much have access to everything I have. My protocol is to have my BB Bold time out every 10 minutes or so requiring input of my password for access so I think I am secure for the most part unless someone tells me there is a better/safer program out there or a better solution.

Thanks for your insight.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-13 06:01 PM

I use password keeper, and have never had a problem. Hope it makes it to bb10!!!!
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-13 06:06 PM
    Been using Password Keeper on BlackBerry for over 5 years now without a problem
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-13 06:44 PM
    Password Keeper is so reliable that you best not forget your password for it. Never had a worry about it.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-18-13 06:51 PM
    Be sure to backup your BlackBerry with desktop manager to save your Password keeper info.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-13 07:45 PM
    Yes. Password lock your phone after a reasonable time out and choose a reasonably complex master password for password keeper and you are good to go.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 08:11 PM
    Password Keeper is very secure. Make sure you make backups with Desktop Manager, just in case you temporarily forget the password.

I ended up switching to KeePass so I could have access to the same password file on my BB, PlayBook, and computer.
    01-18-13 08:38 PM
    Elcomsoft had a look at mobile phone password managers in February and March, and they didn't note any serious deficiencies with Password Keeper. Its key derivation function was a bit weaker than what you now see on some of the full-featured password managers, but they were not able access the Password Keeper database on a locked BlackBerry.

Xopher makes an important point about cross-platform compatibility. Maintaining separate password databases for different devices can quickly become a hassle. Quality password managers offer two-factor authentication, one-time passwords, strong key derivation functions (to resist cracking), good random password generators, and they decrypt entries only as needed, so all your confidential data is not exposed at once. A cross-platform manager like KeyPass will be easier to maintain, and it will provide more security on your other devices. LastPass is an excellent cloud-based alternative.
    Xopher, BergerKing and Geeoff like this.
    01-18-13 09:54 PM
    very reliable....never had one single issue with P.K.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-18-13 09:59 PM
    As far as database backup is concerned as assuming you trust RIM, latest version of Blackberry Protect (for BIS users) backs up also Password Keeper database by default but you can opt out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 10:57 PM
    i've started to use PK and i am liking it i use the random password feature and I think I am well secured. The only issue I have now is if all of my passwords are kept in PK and my device is stolen or malfunctions requiring a reboot, how do I recover the PK with all my passwords in it? Thanks

02-22-13 09:59 PM
    As far as database backup is concerned as assuming you trust RIM, latest version of Blackberry Protect (for BIS users) backs up also Password Keeper database by default but you can opt out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    I wish they'd had that on my last BB backup. Sure would've made life easier.
    02-22-13 10:16 PM
    i've started to use PK and i am liking it i use the random password feature and I think I am well secured. The only issue I have now is if all of my passwords are kept in PK and my device is stolen or malfunctions requiring a reboot, how do I recover the PK with all my passwords in it? Thanks

Make sure you are backed up to Protect and a computer and you'll be fine.
    02-22-13 10:17 PM
    thanks, now I can start using that and not worry about it. Great native feature on this phone.
    Enyigma and BergerKing like this.
    02-22-13 10:34 PM
    I use password keeper, and have never had a problem. Hope it makes it to bb10!!!!
    It's on Blackberry World now. Just downloaded it today.
    02-22-13 10:35 PM
    Simple answer is yes
    02-22-13 11:32 PM
    Voice notes..
    Can't seem to find this feature on my new Z10

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:20 AM
    Voice notes..
    Can't seem to find this feature on my new Z10

Posted via CB10
    Wrong thread... but to answer your question -- it's in the Remember App. Remember > New Entry > Voice Note
    02-23-13 01:30 AM
    Make sure you are backed up to Protect and a computer and you'll be fine.
    How does one test to make sure it is accessible if device is lost/stolen or reboot/wipe needed? Assume BES system and backup to BB desktop occurs weekly which is stored on desktop.

I've tried to access BB desktop to see if the PK file is there, but it asks to connect to device before you can proceed. If my device is lost/stolen, what good is that requirement?

Thanks
    02-23-13 07:12 AM
    How does one test to make sure it is accessible if device is lost/stolen or reboot/wipe needed? Assume BES system and backup to BB desktop occurs weekly which is stored on desktop.

I've tried to access BB desktop to see if the PK file is there, but it asks to connect to device before you can proceed. If my device is lost/stolen, what good is that requirement?

Thanks
    i believe you need to connect a replacement BB to the desktop and do a restore i don't think you can view the info any other way

02-23-13 07:44 AM
    I've used the restore function from Protect on many occasions and it's never failed. Used PK for a long time as well with no issues at all. It's extremely handy because your BB is always at hand wherever you may be.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-23-13 08:57 AM
    If my device is lost/stolen, what good is that requirement?
    Since Password Keeper is not a standalone or a multi-platform app, you will need another BlackBerry phone to restore the passwords to it.
    02-23-13 01:47 PM
    Since Password Keeper is not a standalone or a multi-platform app, you will need another BlackBerry phone to restore the passwords to it.
    Is there no way to validate that PK backs up through desktop manager without connecting a BB phone and restoring? It seems to me this leap of faith that it will be there is too much of a risk without confirmation prior to a problem occurring.

I use Crashplan for my PC online backup and I can see what files are backed up to ensure they are in fact copied so if my PC goes down, I have the files I need. Surely there has to be a way to validate alleged backed up data - in this case, PK - so if something happens I can have confidence in recovering PK and all of my passwords. Remember, the passwords selected through PK were randomized using PK randomizer with at least 8 digits which means there is no way of remembering what all of them are if PK was non-existent. Thanks

02-23-13 10:18 PM
    Is there no way to validate that PK backs up through desktop manager without connecting a BB phone and restoring? It seems to me this leap of faith that it will be there is too much of a risk without confirmation prior to a problem occurring.
    I know that DM gives the option to do selective restores, so I'm guessing it allows selective backups too, or at least shows what fields of data are being backed up? I haven't looked as closely while backing up, but it's seems plausible.

I don't rely on it for this purpose, but hasn't BB Protect as of late started backing up passwords too? And doesn't it also have a setting for choosing what data you want to back up?
    02-23-13 11:28 PM
    It's on a BlackBerry isn't it?
    02-24-13 07:35 AM
40 12