After reading that LastPass have been hacked I wonder if a made for BlackBerry password word keeper word be anymore secure.

Anyone know or have any tips or advice on the best or most secure ones available?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 12:03 AM
    I don't know. I only use BlackBerry password keeper. It has no connection to the Internet so it could never be hacked.

Posted via CB.10 on my  Z10
    06-23-15 12:06 AM
    Password keeper is very secure, and is also very easy to use!

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 02:25 AM
    No security problem with BlackBerry's password keeper.

Other apps can't access password keeper, which is also the reason why apps like Backup Pro can't backup your passwords.

Password Keeper has an integrated cloud backup function (disabled by default), so you could store your passwords in encrypted form om BlackBerry servers; however the encryption key is derived from your password.
    In my case the password is horribly weak for convenience reasons, so I decided not to use this feature.

Posted via CB10
    Stewartj1 and Kimberella like this.
    06-23-15 02:30 AM
    I really don't know which app is really more secure, as it is hard to find unbiased reviews these days. All I know is that based on BlackBerry's history, I FEEL more secure using the BlackBerry Password Keeper app in a BlackBerry device!
    theotherjoeboy and chgaida like this.
    06-23-15 05:21 AM
    It's verified. BlackBerry password keeper is the MOST secure

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 05:39 AM
    It's verified. BlackBerry password keeper is the MOST secure

Posted via CB10
    Can you give me the source of this information?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 05:42 AM
    NOTHING on teh interwebz is secure... BlackBerry or not... Password keepers are a set up for a headache... In a high tech world, low tech is your best friend...

Posted via CB10
    chgaida likes this.
    06-23-15 06:42 AM
    No security problem with BlackBerry's password keeper.

Other apps can't access password keeper, which is also the reason why apps like Backup Pro can't backup your passwords.

Password Keeper has an integrated cloud backup function (disabled by default), so you could store your passwords in encrypted form om BlackBerry servers; however the encryption key is derived from your password.
    In my case the password is horribly weak for convenience reasons, so I decided not to use this feature.

Posted via CB10
    You can also export to a file which you need your password to import. I always backup to my SD card just to be safe.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 08:04 AM
    Is Password Keeper included on the Device Switch app.?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 09:58 AM
    Can you give me the source of this information?

Posted via CB10
    Don't you trust me?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 10:29 AM
    Don't you trust me?

Posted via CB10
    That means that was sarcasm, does it?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 03:34 PM
    I used BlackBerry Protect to restore Password Keeper from a bb7 device to a Q10. When I switched to different Q10, I did a backup with Link and restored my password keeper from that backup as Protect was not able to do it at that time. Apparently now there is a cloud backup option.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 03:47 PM
    Data on Password Keeper is not transferred when you do a Device Switch. I transferred data with NFC.
    06-23-15 03:47 PM
    The LastPass hack is a non-issue for anyone with a decent master password. I've covered this at length in another thread somewhere, but to make a long story short, the passwords obtained by hackers were hashed with LastPass' extremely complex hashing algorithm. It makes brute-forcing infeasible so long as you aren't using a terrible password - which would be a pretty dangerous thing to do to begin with.

Even if you do use a weak password, LastPass forced all new IP addresses to confirm their login via email after the breach (unless you use two-factor authentication). That wouldn't help you if the hackers got access to the actual password databases, but they didn't.

As for BlackBerry Password Keeper? It doesn't give me much reason to trust it. Very little is known about how it works - BlackBerry says it uses 256-bit AES to encrypt the database by "deriving" a key from your master password, but that's it. There's no info on how specifically that key is derived, and as far as cloud synchronization, they simply say it's "designed" to always remain encrypted with that key. No info on whether or not your database is transmitted through a secure connection, whether or not the databases are segmented from other data on their servers. "Trust us" is simply not an acceptable security model - BlackBerry needs to be more transparent about how it works.
    chgaida likes this.
    06-23-15 04:13 PM