So I misplaced my phone last night (i know i'm an *****) and since I'm on BES i had my friend who has access add a password and change the owner message to instructions on how to get it back to me. If the guy tries the password 10 times and the device wipes will they still need a password to use the phone? I just want to make sure the phone is totally useless to them. If not I need to get to a tmobile asap to get a new sim.
    11-22-09 07:06 PM
    I can not confirm this becasue I do not have BES access, but I have replied to a lot of members that have encountered this situation.

If the BlackBerry is using BIS with a password, the security wipe will remove all setting, data and third party software. It will restart open and can be used by anyone. It makes sense, given the range of user skills on BIS device.

BES, on the other hand, is primarily used by Corporations that are very concerned about protecting access to data and to intranet resources.

When the password security is tripped, the device will wipe everything, leaving a white screen with a JVM 513 error message.

In this conditon, you can still reload the software, if you have the correct password. Without the password, it will remain a paperweight.
    11-23-09 09:46 AM
    Wow, yeah i tried inputing the wrong pw 10 times and my bberry was fully wiped. Had to reload OS.
    11-23-09 10:13 AM
    That is good to know. Thank you very much. That makes me confused as to why the guy won't just give it back. hmmmm :/
    11-23-09 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD