2012_ Samsung S3

Above are the smartphones I've owned over the years and I believe
    it's appropriate to give my verdict on where the BBP stands amongst
    other smartphone platforms.

G2
    For what it's worth the LG G2 was my favorite phone I've ever owned,
    the power button on the rear is innovative and exclusive to only the
    G2/G3 at least to my knowledge it is. The G2 is consumer friendly,the
    freedom and creativity of the Android platform is the showcased best on the G2.
    My biggest Gripe with the G2 was how large it was and how difficult it is
    to take in and out of my pocket. This is probably not a deal breaker for most
    but for me not being able to easily pull my phone from my front jean pocket is a pet peeve.

Passport
    Which brings me to the BBP, I love this Phone it looks sweet(White) the screen looks amazing in person, online photos don't do it justice. This was the first BB phone I ever owned so my BB experience is different than most people on the forum I would imagine. My pros on the BBP would be battery life,camera quality,exclusivity,security,ways to turn off and wake up phone which BBP
    has completely crushed all competition, making it easy to organize via priority HUB, reminder app is great.

I ending up parting with my BBP because as a student I use a few social apps and they didn't work with the efficiency I need, not to mention my Bank App wasn't available and that's crucial for me since I like to monitor funds and activity while I'm on the run. Finally the overall size of the BBP was quite controversial as it continued to embattle my psyche with un-conventionalism vs practicality. The screen is great but again it's slightly too wide to be practical in my everyday life.

iPhone6
    Why do I now have the IPhone 6??back when I owned the G2 I worked for Verizon and I realized (maybe demographically) that 90% of our clientele were interested in Iphones, so being an Android user I challenged myself to learn everything about IOS and by doing so I sort've became married to ios by default.
    I also believe the iPhone is routinely the easiest phone to sell to consumers, particularly for those who are up in the air regarding which side to choose. It's easy to explain/sell to people particularly the 30-60age group in large part
    because of the simplicity.

iPhone continued
    I finally gave the 5s a shot and my decision surely was influenced by the fact that I was the only person in my family who was using Android and not being able to use features like Facetime were a bummer considering all my family at the time lived on the East Coast and that was our primary source of communication. For what's it's worth I believe the IPhone 6 has the perfect shape for a smartphone and it's easily looks the best and the ios platform works for what I do in life.

Verdict:
    The BBP is the best phone on the market but it's not for everyone.
    IPhone 6 is my happy medium.
    I can live without the BBP but I can't live without the IPhone.
    Last edited by nicky_willz; 05-07-15 at 01:44 PM.
    05-04-15 03:16 PM
    To each his own.
    05-04-15 03:47 PM
    You can most likely get your favorite social apps and banking app from the Google Play store if you sideload Snap onto your Passport. They might not be in the Amazon store, but they are sure to be in Google Play. It takes a little work to set up Snap initially, but it is well worth it because it opens up a lot more app options.
    05-04-15 03:49 PM
    Or even better download your apps from the real Google Play Store for Blackberry 10:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=11189556
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    05-04-15 04:37 PM
    You can most likely get your favorite social apps and banking app from the Google Play store if you sideload Snap onto your Passport. They might not be in the Amazon store, but they are sure to be in Google Play. It takes a little work to set up Snap initially, but it is well worth it because it opens up a lot more app options.
    I know what your saying, I really do. I've used snap myself to make up for the lack of apps but let me just say that it's like a 20% good option at best when it comes to experience. And the fact that you don't mention that is really the epitome of some hardcore blackberry users. IM NOT SAYING YOU, I m really sorry but I just had to use what you said as an example. There's one consistent behavior on the forums that just rubs me the wrong way.

Here's how it goes, 1 rightly so disappointed member who owns BB10 will go on the forums to just vent a little bit on the lack of apps resulting in his or her frustration. You know what happens next? 50 people (exaggerting obviously) jump into the forum with things along the lines of "have you tried this, have you tried that, try searching for an older version and side load" list goes on and on. I'm really sorry, forgive me but it just seems like such a plain attempt to suade a person back to bb10 when it really isn't best operating system for majority of people. Because majority of people love apps apps apps.

And oh my god, to those people that say the words "tools not toys", I hope they're never ever happy again hahaha (kidding, kind of)

Sorry bros, I just like to say what I feel, don't let me ruin your day. Happy summer

Posted via CB10
    cribble2k likes this.
    05-04-15 04:37 PM
    Passport for me.... :-)

Bought an iPad mini 2 a few days ago to see what all the Apple fuss is about, apart from app selection it's pretty boring. PlayBook operation is much more fun!

(yes, that's right, Prem's bought an iDevice, lol!)

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    05-04-15 06:08 PM
    OP makes some excellent points. I started BlackBerry with a Z10 and although I was super happy with it, I can understand where the lack of apps would be a problem for some and really, sideloading in today's day and age of smart phones just shouldn't have to happen at all.

I'm on a Z30 now and I love it too but I can totally see why so many will stay away from BlackBerry because of apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:29 PM
    Smartphone Ownership
    2015_Iphone6
    2014_BBPassport(White)
    2014_Iphone5s
    2013_Lg G2
    2012_ Samsung S3

Above are the smartphones I've owned over the years and I believe
    it's appropriate to give my verdict on where the BBP stands amongst
    other smartphone platforms.

G2
    For what it's worth the LG G2 was my favorite phone I've ever owned,
    the power button on the rear is innovative and exclusive to only the
    G2/G3 at least to my knowledge it is. The G2 is consumer friendly,the
    freedom and creativity of the Android platform is the showcased best on the G2.
    My biggest Gripe with the G2 was how large it was and how difficult it is
    to take in and out of my pocket. This is probably not a deal breaker for most
    but for me not being able to easily pull my phone from my front jean pocket is a pet peeve.

Passport
    Which brings me to the BBP, I love this Phone it looks sweet(White) the screen looks amazing in person, online photos don't do it justice. This was the first BB phone I ever owned so my BB experience is different than most people on the forum I would imagine. My pros on the BBP would be battery life,camera quality,exclusivity,security,ways to turn off and wake up phone which BBP
    has completely crushed all competition, making it easy to organize via priority HUB, reminder app is great.

I ending up parting with my BBP because as a student I use a few social apps and they didn't work with the
    efficiency I need, not to mention my Bank App wasn't available and that's crucial for me since I like to monitor
    funds and activity while I'm on the run. Finally the overall size of the BBP was quite controversial as it continued
    to embattle my psyche with un-conventionalism vs practicality. The screen is great but again it's slightly to wide to
    be practical in my everyday life.

iPhone6
    Why do I now have the IPhone 6??back when I owned the G2 I worked for Verizon and I realized (maybe demographically) that 90% of our clientele were interested in Iphones, so being an Android user I challenged myself to learn everything about IOS and by doing so I sort've became married to ios by default.
    I also believe the iPhone is routinely the easiest phone to sell to consumers, particularly for those who are up in the air regarding which side to choose. It's easy to explain/sell to people particularly the 30-60age group in large part
    because of the simplicity.

iPhone continued
    I finally gave the 5s a shot and my decision surely was influenced by the fact that I was the only person in my family
    who was using Android and not being able to use features like Facetime were a bummer considering all my family
    at the time lived on the East Coast and that was our primary source of communication. For what's it's worth I believe the IPhone 6 has the perfect shape for a smartphone and it's easily looks the best and the ios platform works for what
    I do in life.

Verdict:
    The BBP is the best phone on the market but it's not for everyone.
    IPhone 6 is my happy medium.
    I can live without the BBP but I can't live without the IPhone.
    I like the breakdown of the phones you've owned. I'm still on LG G2 and you're right about the back buttons. I take a lot of photos and when I see a photo opp, I slide my finger on that back button and press as I grab the phone from my pocket and the Camera is ready to shoot when it's up on my face. I have no problems with the G2's size. I also like the sticky feeling of the back of the G2 (reaction of my sweat of my hand with the plastic back) so the phone has never slipped off my hand. I'm due for an upgrade but I think I'll enjoy my G2 for the third year, maybe 4th. Glad you made reviews without bashing the platform you left for another.
    05-05-15 07:46 AM
    I know what your saying, I really do. I've used snap myself to make up for the lack of apps but let me just say that it's like a 20% good option at best when it comes to experience. And the fact that you don't mention that is really the epitome of some hardcore blackberry users. IM NOT SAYING YOU, I m really sorry but I just had to use what you said as an example. There's one consistent behavior on the forums that just rubs me the wrong way.

Here's how it goes, 1 rightly so disappointed member who owns BB10 will go on the forums to just vent a little bit on the lack of apps resulting in his or her frustration. You know what happens next? 50 people (exaggerting obviously) jump into the forum with things along the lines of "have you tried this, have you tried that, try searching for an older version and side load" list goes on and on. I'm really sorry, forgive me but it just seems like such a plain attempt to suade a person back to bb10 when it really isn't best operating system for majority of people. Because majority of people love apps apps apps.

And oh my god, to those people that say the words "tools not toys", I hope they're never ever happy again hahaha (kidding, kind of)

Sorry bros, I just like to say what I feel, don't let me ruin your day. Happy summer

Posted via CB10
    Amazon Appstore comes pre-loaded since 10.3.0 and the real Google play store can be installed in literally 5mins without any sideloading or technical knowledge (since last year). Things don't remain the same. Knowledge, however is power and even though some of the Crackberry faithful might come across as overzealous sometimes, I think they're for the most part trying to enlighten those who post here because they don't know something. As for my experience, with the combination of Google Play Store, Amazon Appstore and BlackBerry World, BlackBerry 10 users have a very wide selection of apps available to them comparable to the ecosystems on the other major platforms. Not all may work but in my experience the vast majority of apps that I install from Google Play Store work seamlessly and update seamlessly to the point where I don't even have to think about it. I actually expect apps I download from Play Store to work and not the other way around. So I disagree with your 20% good option at best. It's much better than that to me. A lot has improved since last year. You can now purchase apps and download apps that large obb data which couldn't be done on Snap in the "old days".

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 08:09 AM
    OP makes some excellent points. I started BlackBerry with a Z10 and although I was super happy with it, I can understand where the lack of apps would be a problem for some and really, sideloading in today's day and age of smart phones just shouldn't have to happen at all.

I'm on a Z30 now and I love it too but I can totally see why so many will stay away from BlackBerry because of apps.

Posted via CB10
    That's good that you think that because with Amazon Appstore being preloaded and with Google Play Store now being able to be installed (since last year!) without the use of any computer or special skills, sideloading in today's day and age of BlackBerry 10 Smartphones is no longer necessary. Spread the word.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 08:14 AM
    Amazon Appstore comes pre-loaded since 10.3.0 and the real Google play store can be installed in literally 5mins without any sideloading or technical knowledge (since last year). Things don't remain the same. Knowledge, however is power and even though some of the Crackberry faithful might come across as overzealous sometimes, I think they're for the most part trying to enlighten those who post here because they don't know something. As for my experience, with the combination of Google Play Store, Amazon Appstore and BlackBerry World, BlackBerry 10 users have a very wide selection of apps available to them comparable to the ecosystems on the other major platforms. Not all may work but in my experience the vast majority of apps that I install from Google Play Store work seamlessly and update seamlessly to the point where I don't even have to think about it. I actually expect apps I download from Play Store to work and not the other way around. So I disagree with your 20% good option at best. It's much better than that to me. A lot has improved since last year. You can now purchase apps and download apps that large obb data which couldn't be done on Snap in the "old days".

Posted via CB10
    Ok you make fair points conceptually. But practically, amazon app store is a joke compared to the play store or ios app store. Yes it may be good enough for you but for the vast majority isn't. Second, using snap is still a side loading job aka a workaround. And mentioned blackberry world in there kind of shows that your really reaching. Overall my question is this, many hardcore users say that the workarounds are well worth it because of the benefit you get with hub, email, and file manager (these are the only real pluses compared to ios /android). Well to be honest, android and ios users aren't as misinformed as you think because their cost benefit is the exact opposite- take advantage of the ecosystem and manage workarounds for the others. Not to mention rumors about a hub like feature possibly coming to those os's. I'm just trying to say, and not doing a very good job at it, and not aiming this directly at you, but the truly hardcore blackberry fans are some of the most hypocritical people.

Again don't let me ruin your day sometimes I really want to speak my mind

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 01:00 PM
    Ok you make fair points conceptually. But practically, amazon app store is a joke compared to the play store or ios app store. Yes it may be good enough for you but for the vast majority isn't. Second, using snap is still a side loading job aka a workaround. And mentioned blackberry world in there kind of shows that your really reaching. Overall my question is this, many hardcore users say that the workarounds are well worth it because of the benefit you get with hub, email, and file manager (these are the only real pluses compared to ios /android). Well to be honest, android and ios users aren't as misinformed as you think because their cost benefit is the exact opposite- take advantage of the ecosystem and manage workarounds for the others. Not to mention rumors about a hub like feature possibly coming to those os's. I'm just trying to say, and not doing a very good job at it, and not aiming this directly at you, but the truly hardcore blackberry fans are some of the most hypocritical people.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. I love BlackBerry and I think they have great hardware with the best OS but the truth is the truth. Let's collectively hope that the ship continued to right itself with Chen and BlackBerry users showing what it can do for the average person.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 04:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think you need to take your time and read over my post a little more carefully. Judging from your reply it seems as if you've misunderstood a lot of what I wrote. I never once mentioned nor even suggested that sideloading Snap was an option. I spoke about installing the real Google Play APK file from Cobalt. It can be installed very easily. Have you ever tried it? Go to Cobalt's link and see if it's difficult or as difficult as Sideloading Snap using a computer. You said Amazon appstore is a joke compared to the play store or iOS app store and then said I was over reaching by even mentioning BlackBerry World. You totally misunderstood what I wrote. I lumped Amazon Appstore, Google Play Store and BlackBerry World together. I tried to show that that any BlackBerry 10 user today has access to apps from all of those sources. So when you add what's available in Amazon Appstore + Google Play Store + BlackBerry World, in my opinion you would end up with an App ecosystem that's at least comparable to what is available on other platforms. I don't remember saying that iOS and Android users are misinformed and certainly don't think that they are.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:21 AM
    I think you need to take your time and read over my post a little more carefully. Judging from your reply it seems as if you've misunderstood a lot of what I wrote. I never once mentioned nor even suggested that sideloading Snap was an option. I spoke about installing the real Google Play APK file from Cobalt. It can be installed very easily. Have you ever tried it? Go to Cobalt's link and see if it's difficult or as difficult as Sideloading Snap using a computer. You said Amazon appstore is a joke compared to the play store or iOS app store and then said I was over reaching by even mentioning BlackBerry World. You totally misunderstood what I wrote. I lumped Amazon Appstore, Google Play Store and BlackBerry World together. I tried to show that that any BlackBerry 10 user today has access to apps from all of those sources. So when you add what's available in Amazon Appstore + Google Play Store + BlackBerry World, in my opinion you would end up with an App ecosystem that's at least comparable to what is available on other platforms. I don't remember saying that iOS and Android users are misinformed and certainly don't think that they are.

Posted via CB10
    But why should an average customer even have to consider going through all that?? Isn't blackberry all about productivity and making lives easier? But to make that happen, we must all become technical and download the Google apk like you mentioned?? Not to mention that it's only going to work if the number of users for that stay low. Once traffic gets going, Google is going to have a huge fuss about it and rightly so.

It just blows my mind that the hardcore users believe in "tools not toys" and all that bulls***. How is it not obvious that the cost benefit of taking advantage of hub, email,and file manager and finding workarounds for others is so much less than taking advantage of an ecosystem and finding workarounds for the others? I'm ok with BlackBerry but I know my app tastes and ecosystem needs aren't comparable to the average user, but most blackberry users won't admit that. Meanwhile, they will go on the forums, cherry pick the flaws of other OS's so to convince themselves they're making the smarter pick.

Is apple a money hungry, power driven, and sometimes unethical pieces of ****? Haha of course. But the benefit of just having everything in sync, from software updates, to music, I message, connectivity with social media, music, and so much more. I get all of that for the price of having no hub? No brainer.

Posted via CB10
    nicky_willz likes this.
    05-06-15 09:43 AM
    But why should an average customer even have to consider going through all that?? Isn't blackberry all about productivity and making lives easier? But to make that happen, we must all become technical and download the Google apk like you mentioned?? Not to mention that it's only going to work if the number of users for that stay low. Once traffic gets going, Google is going to have a huge fuss about it and rightly so.

It just blows my mind that the hardcore users believe in "tools not toys" and all that bulls***. How is it not obvious that the cost benefit of taking advantage of hub, email,and file manager and finding workarounds for others is so much less than taking advantage of an ecosystem and finding workarounds for the others? I'm ok with BlackBerry but I know my app tastes and ecosystem needs aren't comparable to the average user, but most blackberry users won't admit that. Meanwhile, they will go on the forums, cherry pick the flaws of other OS's so to convince themselves they're making the smarter pick.

Is apple a money hungry, power driven, and sometimes unethical pieces of ****? Haha of course. But the benefit of just having everything in sync, from software updates, to music, I message, connectivity with social media, music, and so much more. I get all of that for the price of having no hub? No brainer.

Posted via CB10
    Now you're getting into cost benefit and stuff. I think I understand your point but you have to understand that there are many different types of people in this world. Many who wouldn't mind installing the Google Play Store if they knew it was possible. Many who would mind. People buy into different brands for a number of reasons. Some prefer one interface over another. Some might choose based on how the device looks. Some might be turned off if they hear that there aren't certain apps available e.t.c. Others might hear that and it may not be a problem for them. The benefits that you see, may not be obvious to others who have chosen based on different criteria than yourself. I know you didn't ask my opinion but I prefer BlackBerry 10 OS and devices over Android and Windows Phone for a number of reasons. The most basic of those reasons might be, I just like the way it works and looks. I think the whole gesture based user interaction is sleek and fast. I find the sharing system is "boss"! I like the keyboards, virtual, physical and Passport, hybrid. I like the seamless app switching e.t.c. I like the fact that my Nintendo Wii Remotes connect to it out of the box and very easily. I love the integrated file manager and the simple folder structure it presents compared to what Android file managers show you when you click on files. I could go on and on because there's a lot more that I like and prefer about the BlackBerry 10 way of doing things over the other platforms. I've used all Windows Phone 8.1, Android and iOS. Sometimes doing things on those platforms are a lot more complicated than doing things on BlackBerry 10. To me choosing BlackBerry 10 over the other OSes should be a "No Brainer" but I understand that not everyone else's brains work the same as mine. The same things I like about it might put off others. Especially those who have been accustomed to doing things in a particular way.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 10:03 AM