Hi guys!

Just like in the topic. I was wondering if buying a Passport SE in 2016 is a good idea. I've sold my V10, because I miss PKB, but I'm afraid that Passport will be a "brick phone" because of BB10 which is dying slowly. Unfortunately I can't afford Priv and DTEK is a big NO for me.

I don't use SnapChat, I don't play games on my phone, but I use Spotify very often, I use Facebook Messenger for my daily communication and I use WhatsApp to comunicate with my firends. Also I use Google Duo to communicate with my parents, but I can replace it with BBM Video.

So what is your opinion?
    10-07-16 01:51 AM
    Well I did asking too.
    Spotify works fine when sideloaded.

People have different whatsapp sideload experience so still in the air for me. (Native whatsapp is fine until 12/31/2016)

Facebook lite seems to work fine.

I did not ask duo but since it is Google based I highly doubt it. But Skype is fine they say.
    10-07-16 02:31 AM
    Facebook lite seems to work fine.
    Facebook Lite from Google Play Store? What about Face10 from Nemory?
    10-07-16 02:35 AM
    Native is always better
    10-07-16 03:40 AM
    Absolutely!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 04:01 AM
    Native is always better
    Can you say something about Face10 and Messenger from Nemory Studios?

Absolutely!

Posted via CB10
    This means yes?
    10-07-16 04:02 AM
    Can you say something about Face10 and Messenger from Nemory Studios?

This means yes?
    I just bought the black Passport from shop BlackBerry and I forgot how amazing this device is! So yes, jump on it! This is the best BlackBerry phone till date.

Posted via CB10
    Robert Bitter likes this.
    10-07-16 04:48 AM
    I think at current prices it is a good deal. I would never pay full price for it at this point though!

Posted via CB10
    Dr Potato likes this.
    10-07-16 05:39 AM
    I think at current prices it is a good deal. I would never pay full price for it at this point though!
    Hm, I wouldn't pay full price for any gadget! But yeah, I hear ya, buying a BB10 device at this point only makes sense if you accept the future limitations and can find a good discount. It just happens the latter is true for the Passport right now if you buy it direct from Blackberry.
    10-07-16 05:59 AM
    If whatsapp is a must have for you, no BB10 phone is an option for you. If BBM or Chiffry messenger are suitable substitutes for your purposes, then go ahead and get one.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 09:10 AM
    I just got one, as this might be the last one. I already had the normal passport. Love the SE, it's so gorgeous. By the way the keyboard types a lot better.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 10:18 AM
    Get facebook messenger lite. It works well, takes up virtual no space, and offers most of the regular functions of the normal facebook messenger app.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-07-16 10:31 AM
    If whatsapp is a must have for you, no BB10 phone is an option for you. If BBM or Chiffry messenger are suitable substitutes for your purposes, then go ahead and get one.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, but what about sideloading WhatsApp?
    10-07-16 11:23 AM
    It's a great price, depending on how long you keep your phones. The BlackBerry10 OS; if it has a limited lifespan, you would want to buy as soon as possible to get the most of it.
    I just purchased one for a good price and if the OS were to function for at lease 2-3 years, I'd be happy. The average smartphone contract is roughly 2 years and if you were to buy a flagship outright, how much would it be?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 12:11 PM
    The average smartphone contract is roughly 2 years and if you were to buy a flagship outright, how much would it be?
    Oh it's hard to say, it depends on the phone. If I like it very much I probably keep it for a year, in other case for about six months.
    10-07-16 01:17 PM
    While it's a great phone which I love, I don't think it's worth to buy at this point. Bb10 is dead, no apps, probably soon the support for this phone will be gone, whatsapp and other important apps are gone or will be gone pretty soon, tons of sideloaded apps doesn't work or are really bad, and of course the fact that you have to sideload apps and not simply download it from the app store. At this point there are lots of negative points instead of positive. However I do love my SE, I think in fact it's the most beautiful phone ever created. I wouldn't sell it and won't sell it, however I wouldn't buy it either right now if I didn't had one. I bought a Priv two months ago and I'm supper happy with it too, it's not a BB10 and they're clearly very different and I was scared before purchasing it, but I absolutely love it now and got used to it

Posted via Passport SE
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-07-16 01:47 PM
    I have a SE and I'm looking to sell it so I can find an android phone for my kids....

But of course this isn't the correct sub forum for that

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 05:16 PM
    Definitely worth it, yes support might be cut, but back when I had a Passport earlier this year, for a year in total, things worked pretty well. Facebook the app and messenger worked well (didn't try Nemory's though), Youtube was great because it worked in the background (I miss that multitasking option on my Priv), streaming apps worked fine but Google Maps did have some slight hiccups when it relies only on GPS.
    10-07-16 05:23 PM
    For some crazy reason I am thinking about the SE again as well. Its a great price. Only buy if you are fully understand the recreational limitations of the device.

It is still able to:
    - message very well
    - manage calendars and tasks.
    - file management ease, including cloud support (even google drive with cobalt tools)
    - free USB-OTG
    - blackberry travel management (compared to $10 for worldmate)
    -

What it can't do:
    - Snapchat
    - Periscope
    - FB messenger video
    - Complete Whatsapp support (in 2017)
    - provide the comfort of incessant updates

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-16 06:00 PM
    I just got one, as this might be the last one. I already had the normal passport. Love the SE, it's so gorgeous. By the way the keyboard types a lot better.

Posted via CB10
    I have the silver one. Thinking of getting a black one on sale, a phone I don't really need. The black one is a little less expensive, in lieu of getting another silver one. So if you had the silver one first, would you get a black or white one?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 11:53 PM
    Ok, so summing up all your posts, I think it's worth to buy a Passport SE in 2016.

So Facebook works(face10), Instagram too(iGrann or Inst10), WhatsApp can be sideloaded or downloaded directly form GP Store, there is alternative for Periscope - Scope10 from Nemory Studios.

Can anyone tell me how sideloaded Facebook and Instagram works and also Spotify?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-08-16 09:21 AM
    Ok, but what about sideloading WhatsApp?
    I don't think that making a hardware purchase decision that you will probably have to live with for a couple of years based on sideloading an android version of an app that a dev is discontinuing for your native OS is a particularly good decision. The passport - bb10 for that matter - still has great messaging options...but Whatsapp isn't going to be one of them going forward.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 09:46 AM
    I plan to use Passport for maximum six months to one year.
    10-08-16 09:56 AM
    If you like it and don't need the apps or have another phone for them, then its a good idea.

Doesn't matter 2016 or 2020. Don't fall for the old phone thing. They view phones released from 1 year as old. I read articles telling you the SD 820 chipset is a little outdated. And phones that were released on April have been out for a "while". These idiots want people to buy phones every 6 months and chase the latest chipset and specs even if they don't need it. They're people who mostly get devices to test them and so they just have the latest toy and they want to inject their way of thinking into yours. A one year old phone now is like a 500 years relic. Don't fall for such ridiculous opinions.
    10-08-16 10:48 AM
    If you like it and don't need the apps or have another phone for them, then its a good idea.
    I don't have other phone for apps and apps I need I've mentioned in the first post.
    10-08-16 10:50 AM
99 123 ...