To counter everyone's thought about not being able to use the passport with one hand, why doesn't Blackberry create a feature that re-sizes the screen for a one-hand use? I saw this on the Note 4 and was impressed.
    Medeon likes this.
    10-30-14 12:12 AM
    That would be a great idea. I never knew that I one-handed my phone so much until I couldn't do it anymore. It is becoming a big deal for me

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:58 AM
    To counter everyone's thought about not being able to use the passport with one hand, why doesn't Blackberry create a feature that re-sizes the screen for a one-hand use? I saw this on the Note 4 and was impressed.
    Resizing the screen isn't going to do much. The hardware stays the same size. How would it be any easier to navigate through?

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-30-14 08:26 AM
    The note resizes everything, you can't really change the keyboard unless the idea is when you resize a virtual keyboard pops up.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 08:45 AM
    The note resizes everything, you can't really change the keyboard unless the idea is when you resize a virtual keyboard pops up.

Posted via CB10
    What this guy said. Resizing the screen isn't going to make the phone any easier to hold with one hand.

10-30-14 08:47 AM
    BlackBerry makes many devices. Buy the one that suits your needs. Period!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 08:59 AM
    The way most people hold a smartphone is towards the bottom, with a corner in the palm of the hand, fingers wrapped around, and thumb floating over top. What some of the re-sizing functions do (like Apple's Reachability) is bring the top of the screen down to bring it within reach of the thumb. With the physical keyboard form factor, the keyboard will always occupy the lower portion of the phone.

If anything, the touch sensitive keyboard can be used to make one handed use simpler.
    10-30-14 09:41 AM
    The way most people hold a smartphone is towards the bottom, with a corner in the palm of the hand, fingers wrapped around, and thumb floating over top. What some of the re-sizing functions do (like Apple's Reachability) is bring the top of the screen down to bring it within reach of the thumb. With the physical keyboard form factor, the keyboard will always occupy the lower portion of the phone.

If anything, the touch sensitive keyboard can be used to make one handed use simpler.
    If the keyboard could be used as a trackpad and it supported a cursor like in BBOS, then I could see it happening.

10-30-14 09:48 AM
    Technically it could make it slightly easier. One handed option with it asking if you are left handed or right handed.

This way it could shrink content to the side of the screen based on which handed you chose to set. Also with regards to typing, it would arrange the predictive text from left to right or right to left based on the hand you chose for the best recommended word. Meaning that a word I'm more likely to select would be "flickable" using my right thumb if I selected right handed use because it would be on the right side of the screen not left.

Having cursor control would also make this easier because it will allow one handed navigation. Maybe allow the spacebar to be used for selecting in cursor control mode.

This way they only two handed requirement is when typing full sentences, otherwise most other tasks can be done in one handed more.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 10:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    They have a one handed operation mode, it shrinks the keyboard to the left or right based on what hand you select.

Edit: my bad, I misunderstood your comment lol, I get what you mean. But on that note, they could arrange the predictions based on which hand you set.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 10:36 AM
    How's this for starter

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=969679

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.1154
    10-30-14 11:13 AM
    Just add a MOUSE and CURSOR option by triple-clicking Passport keyboard. This would be the greatest.

Passport One-Hand feature-img_20141030_122955.png

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    10-30-14 11:30 AM
    Are we getting so darmn lazy we can't extend a second hand to hold an object that weighs a few ounces?

Seriously, we want a company to intentionally build a an object that needs 2 hands to use (bigger screen+PKB) then ask them to modify it at the software level so we don't have to use both hands?

What are you people smoking!?

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    Tkarps and spikesolie like this.
    10-30-14 11:34 AM
    I think apple brings the entire screen down when u double tap the home button so that you can easily touch the top bits. I'd love to see a BlackBerry feature or at least keyboard shortcuts!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:35 AM
    Are we getting so darmn lazy we can't extend a second hand to hold an object that weighs a few ounces?

Seriously, we want a company to intentionally build a an object that needs 2 hands to use (bigger screen+PKB) then ask them to modify it at the software level so we don't have to use both hands?

You're right. I couldn't care less about using a device single handedly. Next, people are going to complain about holding the device at all. "Why can't I just use my eyes to text??!?!"

BUT those people are out there and apparently are the majority so blackberry should figure a solution to please them so that they buy many many many blackberrys. That way, blackberry never goes under.

10-30-14 11:41 AM
    I think blackberry 10 os is really manageable with one hand use better than android and ios
    except for typing which most of us use two hands, I think no matter how blackberry go big with devices, th os is very easy with one hand at least comparing it to android or ios

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:07 PM
    It is hard to do some man things while holding a device. And if I am not holding my PP in one hand, my other is Always on my pp. Watch your mouth.

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    10-30-14 04:01 PM
    I smoke salmon, by the way.

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    10-30-14 04:02 PM
    Everyone turned out to be an architect telling me how it's not doable and how lazy we've become. It was just a thought, jeez!
    lactose likes this.
    10-31-14 12:08 AM
    I don't think It's navigating the screen as much as it's one handed typing (at least for me), a possible solution is a one handed mode in the browser that would make half of the keyboard virtually appear of half of the physical, would work nicely

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 12:49 AM

Ummmmm no, how about we try this instead. People that wake up at 5 in the morning, pick up a coffee and begin walking into their office where they plan on getting stuff done that day. AKA BlackBerry's target audience. What about these people?

Should they just wait until they reach their desk to check their Passport? What happened to efficiency? Instead of shooting down ideas and calling others lazy, how about we foster innovation instead? Enough with the "be happy with what you already have" attitude.

I bet if someone back in 2011 said "I don't want to reach up to my touch screen on my bold 9900 as it blocks the view and also makes me move my thumb too much" you would have responded with "really?? Are people getting so Damn lazy they can't extend their thumbs half an inch to a touch screen? What do you want, a Damn touch keypad??!"

All I am saying is don't shoot down ideas that seem crazy today. From what I have seen BlackBerry has huge amounts of talent and I am confident they can surprise us with software to make the PP more 1 hand friendly.

Posted Via My Passport From The Big T.O
    10-31-14 01:00 AM
    Ummmmm no, how about we try this instead. People that wake up at 5 in the morning, pick up a coffee and begin walking into their office where they plan on getting stuff done that day. AKA BlackBerry's target audience. What about these people?

Should they just wait until they reach their desk to check their Passport? What happened to efficiency? Instead of shooting down ideas and calling others lazy, how about we foster innovation instead? Enough with the "be happy with what you already have" attitude.

I bet if someone back in 2011 said "I don't want to reach up to my touch screen on my bold 9900 as it blocks the view and also makes me move my thumb too much" you would have responded with "really?? Are people getting so Damn lazy they can't extend their thumbs half an inch to a touch screen? What do you want, a Damn touch keypad??!"

All I am saying is don't shoot down ideas that seem crazy today. From what I have seen BlackBerry has huge amounts of talent and I am confident they can surprise us with software to make the PP more 1 hand friendly.

This guy is running in my lane with me.

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    10-31-14 09:21 AM

Guess what? Simple fact. Every product can't have it all, regardless of innovation. I want Ford or Chevy to add a cargo bed and towing capacity to a luxury car. I want a car ride, handling and comfort, but I want to tow my boat and grab a load of gravel, too.

Oh yeah, they tried that with Rancheros and El Caminos but doesn't look like it worked out long term (I love both, BTW as old muscle car type rides).

Point being that innovation is great, but use the correct tool for the job, man! Need a one handed capable phone so you can run through the airport while texting /emailing/ tweeting ? Get one! How about a Z30 or successor, or the Classic?

spikesolie likes this.
    10-31-14 01:29 PM

Well how about this... people need to know what their needs are before you buy something. It wasn't a secret hidden that passport couldn't be used one handed with ease. They bought it and now need a "solution " to a problem that was be warned

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    DocDRM likes this.
    10-31-14 01:40 PM
    Well how about this... people need to know what their needs are before you buy something. It wasn't a secret hidden that passport couldn't be used one handed with ease. They bought it and now need a "solution " to a problem that was be warned

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    I agree with this. People who bought the passport already knew what it looked like and most likely watched videos and saw it's size for what it is. You don't buy dress shoes and complain that you can't run in them. You don't buy a Hyundai Elantra and expect to win a drag race. People should know what they're buying before they buy it. Phone too big? That's your fault. Should have waited for the classic or whatever phone they come out with next.

10-31-14 01:46 PM
34 12