Nice grammar. Refreshing to see.
    Great snakes think alike?

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-13-16 07:49 PM
    BBRY's flaw was/is failing to make it simple to port android apps to native BB10. If the developer didn't have to jump through hoops just to get the dev software, then through even more hoops to get their software approved then take up may have been greater, hell no developer is going to refuse a '5 minute conversion process' if it adds to their market.
    Didn't they have an app that did all the work for the devs? It literally was like a 5 minute conversion process (to upload and check compatibility and then allow submission). I'm not an Android dev so could be wrong but I recall reading about the ease of submitting APKs.

I asked Australia Post to make their Android app work in BlackBerry World and they flat out refused. So now I avoid them wherever possible.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-16 01:47 AM
    Nice grammar. Refreshing to see.
    As an Englishman, I endorse this message!
    10-14-16 04:31 AM
    Didn't they have an app that did all the work for the devs? It literally was like a 5 minute conversion process (to upload and check compatibility and then allow submission). I'm not an Android dev so could be wrong but I recall reading about the ease of submitting APKs.

I asked Australia Post to make their Android app work in BlackBerry World and they flat out refused. So now I avoid them wherever possible.
    That 5-minute claim was horribly misleading. They sponsored portathons where people spent far more than 5 minutes on any non-trivial app.

There were APIs missing from the Android runtime. Other APIs have very different performance characteristics than real android. With the Q10 you had a new screen size that most of us had never designed for.

So for most real apps, it was a significant investment. What was worse is the prospect of then maintaining the BB specific version going forward with every new release of your main app in Play.
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-14-16 11:08 AM
    At launch BB10 had no first tier apps. You can't launch a new platform with no market share and no app ecosystem. It was Heins (and all of the old guard) that was responsible for BB10 OS's failure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    But they were already "committed"... ;-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    10-14-16 06:22 PM
    I seem to remember this too, the process of conversation was incredibly easy as far as I know.

Having to modify the app to work comfortably after being converted is a separate issue. Any developer who wants to target BB10 OS should put the time into tweaking it. If it wasn't worth that time then the problem is more about the value of developing for BB10 OS. The alternative is having people make shoddy ports for a quick buck, giving you a large app store full of junk (which is the problem with the Android store relative to the iOS one).
    10-15-16 06:21 AM
    I seem to remember this too, the process of conversation was incredibly easy as far as I know.

Having to modify the app to work comfortably after being converted is a separate issue. Any developer who wants to target BB10 OS should put the time into tweaking it. If it wasn't worth that time then the problem is more about the value of developing for BB10 OS. The alternative is having people make shoddy ports for a quick buck, giving you a large app store full of junk (which is the problem with the Android store relative to the iOS one).
    Yeah, AppStore curation. Admittedly, App-le still has the best.

Droidland looks a little like a junkyard. Landfill Android, landfill appstore...
    No offense! :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-15-16 02:02 PM
    A competent CEO would have realized that a cell phone was dependent on its ecosystem. So rather than gutting BlackBerry world while releasing new phones, he would have either left it intact and continued to release bb10 phones or completely shut down bb10 then and there and released the z30 and classic as Droid devices.

Gutting bbworld while continuing to release bb10 devices is silly.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-16 12:30 PM
    Lol yeah, I wonder what would have happened if Blackberry had instead tried to develop phones for everyday people and youth, instead of targeting business. It is pointless to compare a phone designed for people who like physical keyboards, unique gadgets, or need a secure business phone, to that of devices like the iPhone which are designed for social media, multimedia, and games.
    iPhones and Androids are being used securely and successfully on a daily basis for business, that is part of the reason BB is dying, so your last sentence makes no sense.

Androids and iPhones are designed to be what you want them to be,and for a vast majority they do both work and leisure damn well. We both know this.

The aviation, medical, education, financial etc... Industries all have adopted them very well.
    JeepBB and MikeX74 like this.
    10-16-16 02:11 PM
    For one, Blackberry's marketing around the Passport was that you could view spreadsheets on it better than you could with a slab phone. It was very surprising to me that people weren't running out in droves to buy it so that they could go home and fire up Docs To Go on their phones and start inputting in their favorite spreadsheet
    I guess that's what professionals do. Remember, that's what they were marketing BB10 for in 2013 and 2014: professionals.
    That's the reason my only phone and tablet is still a passport and I cannot find a replacement in an iphone or android phone.
    If you use your phone like a laptop and type a lot of papers, write a lot of emails, load, save and file a lot of attachments, the Passport is still irreplaceable.
    10-16-16 09:53 PM
    No phone could replace my Mac book Air .

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 12:03 AM
    The Windows 10 people would like to beg to differ...
    10-17-16 12:17 AM
    I guess that's what professionals do. Remember, that's what they were marketing BB10 for in 2013 and 2014: professionals.
    That's the reason my only phone and tablet is still a passport and I cannot find a replacement in an iphone or android phone.
    If you use your phone like a laptop and type a lot of papers, write a lot of emails, load, save and file a lot of attachments, the Passport is still irreplaceable.
    Maybe some do. I'm a business professional and the last thing I want to do on my phone is mess with a spreadsheet.
    10-17-16 02:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    My Passport does replace my Macbook 12 inch most of the time, 80%.

For real work I use a Linux workstation.
    The Macbook is just a lightweight terminal with nice display to remotely log in into my work computer.
    I cannot carry it easily up the mountain, on the beach, or on public transport, like I do with my Passport, which allows me to work and be productive anytime, anywhere.
    10-17-16 06:04 AM
    I am really interested in Blackberry Passport and I'm very interested in saving some money and then buy one. I like the design a lot because it's unique and well constructed. The phone feels premium and it got great specifications and features.
    Blackberry Passport has gotten some great reviews and it's sad that it doesn't sell much better than it does but people don't want something unique and special. They want a cellphone that looks like every other phone out there.
    I also think that Blackberry hasn't promoted the phone enough.
    My question is what happens with updates when I buy the BlackBerry Passport? Does Blackberry still support their operating system?
    10-17-16 07:41 AM
    I think that you will find the browser will start to fail and that your Android apps cease working eventually. 10.3.3 will not help you.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 08:23 AM
    My Passport does replace my Macbook 12 inch most of the time, 80%.

For real work I use a Linux workstation.
    The Macbook is just a lightweight terminal with nice display to remotely log in into my work computer.
    I cannot carry it easily up the mountain, on the beach, or on public transport, like I do with my Passport, which allows me to work and be productive anytime, anywhere.
    The MacBook is an entry level computer at a premium price. Its not meant to do any serious work on it. Anyone purchasing it for that made a mistake. You are paying a premium for the design and screen. A 3 year old MacBook Air is a more capable computer than a new MacBook.
    10-17-16 09:33 AM
    Chin also mentioned one of the professional markets were users such as Architects. Problem is many of us use our phones heavily as cameras to document construction. The Passport's camera is marginal at best when compared to other phones.
    10-17-16 09:58 AM
    A competent CEO would have realized that a cell phone was dependent on its ecosystem. So rather than gutting BlackBerry world while releasing new phones, he would have either left it intact and continued to release bb10 phones or completely shut down bb10 then and there and released the z30 and classic as Droid devices.
    BB was licensing the content that was "gutted" (the music, book, and video stores) - and they took those licenses assuming that they'd be selling 50M phones per year. When it was clear that they were only going to sell a small fraction of that, the licensing terms became untenable, and when it came time to renew the license, BB wisely chose not to do so - saving the company a lot of money that they had no hope of recovering otherwise.

Much like a trophy wife who is "accustomed to a certain lifestyle" and is appalled at the suggestion that she has to survive on a paltry $20,000/month (because she's used to spending $200,000/month), some CBers don't get that BB simply didn't have the money to continue as before. The whole BB10 project was based around the idea that they'd at LEAST get 40-50M phones sold per year, and when it was clear that they were going to sell less than 20% of their projections, it meant the entire BB10 plan - in every area - was unrealistic and unaffordable. That's why BB lost so much money, assets, and value on BB10 - the original sales projections that everything was built on were an order of magnitude wrong.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    10-17-16 07:37 PM
    Thought you might enjoy reading this blast from the past: CEO Heins once again says BlackBerry Z10 sales above expectations
    donnation and JeepBB like this.
    10-17-16 08:02 PM
    Thought you might enjoy reading this blast from the past: CEO Heins once again says BlackBerry Z10 sales above expectations
    Lol I think that was pretty much their go to statement for every BB10 phone released. Its a pretty safe statement if the expectations were to sell zero.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-16 08:26 PM
    The MacBook is an entry level computer at a premium price. Its not meant to do any serious work on it. Anyone purchasing it for that made a mistake. You are paying a premium for the design and screen. A 3 year old MacBook Air is a more capable computer than a new MacBook.
    I think I made it very clear that any Mac and any PC running Windows is useless for serious IC design.
    My Macbook was purchased for exactly what it is: a nice, high-resolution lightweight dumb terminal to be used as a remote display on the road.
    A comparative windows machine by Dell was about the same price and still needed to wipe out its OS and have Linux installed.
    I haven't touched the all spying windows OS since 2006.
    10-17-16 10:04 PM
    Chin also mentioned one of the professional markets were users such as Architects. Problem is many of us use our phones heavily as cameras to document construction. The Passport's camera is marginal at best when compared to other phones.
    Unless you take pictures in action where the focus is a problem, the passport camera is pretty good, especially at filming in HD. I use it a lot to document measurements in the lab.
    10-17-16 10:07 PM
    iPhones and Androids are being used securely and successfully on a daily basis for business, that is part of the reason BB is dying, so your last sentence makes no sense.
    Perhaps I explained myself badly. I meant that Blackberry is targeting a different kind of audience to that of Apple. It may be that somebody can play games on a Blackberry phone or use an iPhone securely for business, but the products of each company are designed with broadly different target audiences in mind. It isn't true to suggest that there is no difference there.
    10-19-16 04:31 AM
    Yes the PKB has a different clientele. A no apps phone has almost no discernable clientele.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-19-16 07:19 AM
101 ... 2345