BlackBerry 10 is years ahead of any OS out there. Let Jim and Mike alone. Failure was Chen's!!

Posted via CB10
    If Jim and Mike had immediately reacted to the iPhone in 2007 with a new operating system when they still had signification market share things maybe would have been different. By the time Chen came in 2013, it was already too late.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    MikeX74 and xtremeled like this.
    10-11-16 06:49 AM
    Yeah I thought Chen is described as the guy who came to salvage, can't really be surprised that there are radical and unpopular changes (and it can't really be said they came too early, Blackberry has been suffering slowly).
    10-11-16 06:56 AM
    Hindsight is 20/20. It is so easy to sit back and watch, let time good by and tell where and when mistakes were made; a very human thing. The BlackBerry Passport is a great phone and I am a proud owner of one.
    10-11-16 10:05 AM
    If Jim and Mike had immediately reacted to the iPhone in 2007 with a new operating system when they still had signification market share things maybe would have been different. By the time Chen came in 2013, it was already too late.

If, would have, could have. BlackBerry 10 is here and what did Chen do with it??

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 10:28 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is years ahead of any OS out there. Let Jim and Mike alone. Failure was Chen's!!
    BB10 is a good OS but "10 years ahead of any OS out there" is just hyperbole.
    If you have anything to back that up please share.

BB10 was however years too late to compete against the established players.

Chen is not a visionary but he isn't a failure either, at least not yet.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-11-16 10:54 AM
    Must be a failure cause now I'm on iphone.
    At least I can have the one app I need.
    10-11-16 12:07 PM
    If, would have, could have. BlackBerry 10 is here and what did Chen do with it??

Posted via CB10
    It was already too late as a large percentage of smartphone consumers had already embraced ios and Android, gotten used to it and their established ecosystems. For most of them it totally satisfied their needs.

When Chen came in, BlackBerry's markets hare was under 2%. Even the most seasoned CEO would have had a extremely difficult time bringing a company back from that scenario.

Chen I thought did what was the best option. Diversifying BlackBerry's products by focusing on BES and its Software and Services Division. If he had stuck to hardware and the BlackBerry 10 OS, BlackBerry as a company very likely would not be around today.

TgeekB likes this.
    10-11-16 12:19 PM
    It was already too late as a large percentage of smartphone consumers had already embraced ios and Android, gotten used to it and their established ecosystems. For most of them it totally satisfied their needs.

When Chen came in, BlackBerry's markets hare was under 2%. Even the most seasoned CEO would have had a extremely difficult time bringing a company back from that scenario.

Chen I thought did what was the best option. Diversifying BlackBerry's products by focusing on BES and its Software and Services Division. If he had stuck to hardware and the BlackBerry 10 OS, BlackBerry as a company very likely would not be around today.

What was the growth in software since Chen took over? Did you read the revenue from this segment? Remove the revenue from the captive clientele of the Good Technology acquisition, see how much real growth was had. We aren't speaking of hardware that ship sailed long ago.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 12:23 PM
    Closed for review.
    Last edited by Ecm; 10-11-16 at 12:52 PM.
    10-11-16 12:28 PM
    [INFO]After some clean-up, re-opened.

The bickering/personal comments (and where they were quoted) have been deleted.

Please continue -- on topic -- and keep it civil. Thanks.[/INFO]
    10-11-16 12:52 PM
    What was the growth in software since Chen took over? Did you read the revenue from this segment? Remove the revenue from the captive clientele of the Good Technology acquisition, see how much real growth was had. We aren't speaking of hardware that ship sailed long ago.
    Chen bought a software company with a *captive clientele*? For cheap too. How is that a bad decision? And why does it matter?

The iPhone's innovation is in with technology that Apple licenses or bought. If we're going to separate out things that were developed in-house versus externally sourced or bought, how much of Apple's revenue does that amount to?
    web99 and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    10-11-16 01:03 PM
    Chen bought a software company with a *captive clientele*? For cheap too. How is that a bad decision? And why does it matter?

The iPhone's innovation is in with technology that Apple licenses or bought. If we're going to separate out things that were developed in-house versus externally sourced or bought, how much of Apple's revenue does that amount to?
    P.A. Semi, Siri, NeXT, all were acquisitions and all are major factors into their current financial situation.

Claiming they don't count because they weren't completely in-house is simple moving of the goalposts.
    JeepBB, cbvinh, MikeX74 and 3 others like this.
    10-11-16 01:23 PM
    How much revenue are you attributing to Good in these last 2 quarters?
    10-11-16 01:35 PM
    'Something that just works'

As dull and ignorant and pedestrian as it sounds, that describes most people (even a lot of 'technical' people are horribly technophobic and resistant to change)
    10-11-16 01:35 PM
    Classic got good reviews also. It used recycled / lower end internals, is now out of production, and yet brand new sells for more than every BlackBerry model currently available except the PRIV. Go figure.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    10-11-16 02:05 PM
    In my opinion it's not the passport that failed, but bb10.

BlackBerry could churn out multiple devices every quarter, they did and would continue to fail.

The major developers (a handful at that) all pulled out.

The mass market buys into an eco system, Blackberry has none.

Bb10 is still for me, the best os, but it all boils down to those pesky apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 03:44 PM
    Bb10 has failed in its current state. But it can still live on in a modified version, such as the android variant that BlackBerry is putting in the dtek devices. It could work, just like the chrome/android hybrid that is andromeda might work.

Until then, I'll rock my passport until it dies that one sad day in the distant future.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-13-16 05:07 PM
    'Something that just works'

As dull and ignorant and pedestrian as it sounds, that describes most people (even a lot of 'technical' people are horribly technophobic and resistant to change)
    It's not even a question of being technophobic or resistant to change.

I love cars. I often have cars that are horribly impractical or unreliable. Or that require unusual maintenance. I have a car on which an exhaust bracket fails every single damn year (I know there are workarounds, but they have other problems). So I replace an exhaust bracket on average one per year. It's crazy.

But that's ok, because I love cars. I recognize, however, that most people just want a reliable car that gets them to where they want to go. Or better yet, drives them there. Or even better they want to pay by the drink for it. I don't think less of those people, I just think they don't care about cars. Cars are just a transportation utility to them. Nothing more, nothing less.

I also care about phones. Other people, though, just want a phone that works seamlessly in their lives. They don't want workarounds or excuses, they just want it to work out of the box as advertised, with no fuss.
    DrBoomBotz, Ecm, MikeX74 and 3 others like this.
    10-13-16 06:25 PM
    Then why not make an Android version?

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 06:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    google wont support square screens
    10-13-16 06:30 PM
    I disagree

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 06:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    One reason is android doesn't support a 1:1 screen ratio. You've been around long enough to know that, no?
    10-13-16 06:33 PM
    I disagree

Posted via CB10
    With what do you disagree?
    Ecm, howarmat, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    10-13-16 06:35 PM
    the facts lol....they hurt too much
    TgeekB, Ecm, MikeX74 and 2 others like this.
    10-13-16 06:45 PM
    Nice grammar. Refreshing to see.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-16 07:02 PM
101 12345