Let's see. cut this, remove that ,sell this, fire staff. Yup sure he had a plan.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that was the plan.
    Not glamorous at all but there it is.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-10-16 01:17 AM
    Yes that was the plan.
    Not glamorous at all but there it is.
    Sounds like a plan and recipe for failure .

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 01:20 AM
    Sounds like a plan and recipe for failure .

Posted via CB10
    But a plan nevertheless.
    10-10-16 01:22 AM
    But a plan nevertheless.
    In its broadest strokes likely dictated by Prem.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-10-16 01:24 AM
    For one, Blackberry's marketing around the Passport was that you could view spreadsheets on it better than you could with a slab phone. It was very surprising to me that people weren't running out in droves to buy it so that they could go home and fire up Docs To Go on their phones and start inputting in their favorite spreadsheet
    10-10-16 03:41 AM
    An OS that doesn't scale to ANY screen resolution is flawed, and software which doesn't allow for screen scaling is also flawed but that is neither here nor there.

BBRY's flaw was/is failing to make it simple to port android apps to native BB10. If the developer didn't have to jump through hoops just to get the dev software, then through even more hoops to get their software approved then take up may have been greater, hell no developer is going to refuse a '5 minute conversion process' if it adds to their market.

Developers need easy to use tools as they will always take the path of least resistance and the shortest learning curve, cos their time is money and this is something BBRY never grasped - as shown in the release timescales of their own software.

And yes the PASSPORT is the best phone i've ever owned but probably didn't sell well because it is a BBRY and that's BBRY's own stoopid fault.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-10-16 05:07 AM
    For one, Blackberry's marketing around the Passport was that you could view spreadsheets on it better than you could with a slab phone. It was very surprising to me that people weren't running out in droves to buy it so that they could go home and fire up Docs To Go on their phones and start inputting in their favorite spreadsheet
    Lol yeah, I wonder what would have happened if Blackberry had instead tried to develop phones for everyday people and youth, instead of targeting business. It is pointless to compare a phone designed for people who like physical keyboards, unique gadgets, or need a secure business phone, to that of devices like the iPhone which are designed for social media, multimedia, and games.
    10-10-16 05:34 AM
    Lol yeah, I wonder what would have happened if Blackberry had instead tried to develop phones for everyday people and youth, instead of targeting business. It is pointless to compare a phone designed for people who like physical keyboards, unique gadgets, or need a secure business phone, to that of devices like the iPhone which are designed for social media, multimedia, and games.
    10-10-16 05:34 AM
    Passport... got great reviews and even a few design awards. It is a very unique smartphone.

Sadly it was too unique, as it ran an OS that required way too much work and it was a little "wide" for some.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-10-16 08:14 AM
    I'm just gonna say, long live the Blackberry Passport and of course Blackberry.
    10-10-16 11:54 AM
    It's kind of like the early Microsoft Surface ads. Run Microsoft /work/ applications... oh yay...
    10-10-16 01:13 PM
    An OS that doesn't scale to ANY screen resolution is flawed, and software which doesn't allow for screen scaling is also flawed but that is neither here nor there.

BBRY's flaw was/is failing to make it simple to port android apps to native BB10. If the developer didn't have to jump through hoops just to get the dev software, then through even more hoops to get their software approved then take up may have been greater, hell no developer is going to refuse a '5 minute conversion process' if it adds to their market.

Developers need easy to use tools as they will always take the path of least resistance and the shortest learning curve, cos their time is money and this is something BBRY never grasped - as shown in the release timescales of their own software.

And yes the PASSPORT is the best phone i've ever owned but probably didn't sell well because it is a BBRY and that's BBRY's own stoopid fault.
    Scale to ANY screen resolution? Oh, sure you can make it scale to any resolution, but effective use of that screen resolution won't be effective, that's why there are specific apps for phones vs tablets vs watches...

BlackBerry did make quick conversion tools. We ended up with a ton of Android apps in BlackBerry World that we didn't care about, which replicated what was happening in the Google Play Store.

Developers needed an incentive to develop the apps, which at the time were a very large userbase or gobs of guaranteed money. Some developers only cared about certain platforms, so no amount of money was worth their effort.

It doesn't seem like you were around when BlackBerry first started up BB10; otherwise, you would know better. Further, start looking up to what happened with Microsoft and their mobile phone efforts... tons of developer tools, tons of money and still lack of key apps...
    10-10-16 01:24 PM
    Well, they retreated to Enterprise once the Z10/Q10 didn't even sell enough to a projected small percentage of BlackBerry users...
    10-10-16 01:33 PM
    Well, they retreated to Enterprise once the Z10/Q10 didn't even sell enough to a projected small percentage of BlackBerry users...
    And they found that Enterprise was not wanting their product either.
    10-10-16 03:24 PM
    That's fine, but I'm an enterprise user and being able to look at spreadsheets a little better on a tiny screen didn't do it for me. I'd still much rather use a computer.
    10-10-16 03:26 PM
    What's a GRAT review?
    andy957 likes this.
    10-10-16 03:45 PM
    I'm just gonna say, long live the Blackberry Passport and of course Blackberry.
    This ^^^^^
    10-10-16 03:47 PM
    What's a GRAT review?
    Great, without the E, I suppose.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-10-16 04:36 PM
    And they found that Enterprise was not wanting their product either.
    They have legit reasons to retreat from hardware then...
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-10-16 04:40 PM
    That's fine, but I'm an enterprise user and being able to look at spreadsheets a little better on a tiny screen didn't do it for me. I'd still much rather use a computer.
    I was just explaining why they didn't go after the consumer market... anymore... because they did try and looked at the results as, "well, we targeted consumers and they didn't want it"... as oppose to a multitude of other issues surrounding the launch, like asking existing users to adopt a very large UI change, pay more (for Curve users), not have all BBOS features, lack of carrier support (thus causing delays and also making it hard to obtain/try out), etc.
    10-10-16 04:44 PM
    What's a GRAT review?
    Borat speak, I believe.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-10-16 04:46 PM
    Sometimes I dream about an all touch Passport...

The odd aspect ratio would be winner instead of 1:1 and pkb that are difficult to swallow by the masses

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 05:04 PM
    Sometimes I dream about an all touch Passport...

The odd aspect ratio would be winner instead of 1:1 and pkb that are difficult to swallow by the masses

Posted via CB10
    https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...njtivtEGczDz6A
    10-10-16 07:13 PM
    Consumer Friendly? It's the customer who wasn't friendly to the BlackBerry brand in general. Your statement reads as if the OS is flawed it isn't. It is the app development that was sadly lacking.

Posted via CB10
    The customer wasn't friendly? BB dropped the ball in 2007 and didn't bother to pick it up for a few years. Technology waits for no one. Once you get behind, there is no getting back in the game nowadays. Blackberrys failure is the fault of two people and two people only.
    TgeekB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    10-11-16 12:03 AM
    The customer wasn't friendly? BB dropped the ball in 2007 and didn't bother to pick it up for a few years. Technology waits for no one. Once you get behind, there is no getting back in the game nowadays. Blackberrys failure is the fault of two people and two people only.
    That's exactly right. They were caught flat footed, as was most manufacturers. Unfortunately, they remained stuck.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-11-16 01:02 AM
101 1234 ...