News release from STMicroelectonics
    Way to keep a secret....is it in BB10??????

STMicroelectronics Boosts 4G Connections and Battery Life with Advanced Tunable Chips

STMicroelectronics Boosts 4G Connections and Battery Life with Advanced Tunable ChipsMaximized handset output power and smaller pc-boards come from dynamically adjustable integrated antenna-matching capacitors

Geneva, November 06, 2012 - STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications and a leading supplier of semiconductors for cellular devices, is working to help avoid dropped calls and increase battery life with a new range of highly miniaturized adaptive devices that dynamically optimize handset antenna performance.

ST�s new ParaScan� Tunable Integrated Capacitors (STPTIC) are electrically adjustable to maintain efficient transfer of energy from the handset amplifier to the antenna under various operating conditions. The STPTIC helps maximize radiated RF power for better call performance, overcoming the challenges of use in multiple frequency bands, when the handset is held close to the user�s ear or when it is moved away from the head, while minimizing amplifier power consumption for longer battery life.

Unlike alternatives that typically contain multiple switched capacitors, the STPTIC allows capacitance to be adjusted smoothly, without steps, for greater precision. The STPTIC is also smaller, combining a single, variable capacitor with control circuitry using ST�s Integrated Passive and Active Device (IPAD�) technology.

�Our latest and most advanced STPTIC family now delivers an even more compelling option for future 4G LTE handsets, which will demand high wireless performance for reliable voice and high-speed data communications with longer battery life� said Ricardo De-Sa-Earp, Group VP and General Manager, Application-Specific Discretes & IPAD Division. �Two of the world�s top five handset manufacturers have already chosen this technology for antenna matching in their current handsets.�

The STPTIC family announced today use the latest and most advanced generation of ParaScan Barium Strontium Titanate (BST) variable-capacitor technology. These devices meet the demands of wireless system designers by displaying high Q factor1 at frequencies up to 2.7 GHz, more than 3:1 capacitance change with varying control voltage, and stable performance over the specified temperature range. Devices are easy to design-in, requiring only minimal external components, and have high power capability meeting the requirements of the GSM standard.

Major features of the STPTIC family:

�Range of capacitance values: 2.7 to 8.2 pF
    �High power capability (+36 dBm)
    �High tuning range (3.5:1)
    �High linearity device (IP3 > 60dB)
    �High Quality factor (Q factor) up to 2.7 GHz
    �Low leakage current (Less than 100 nA)
    �Compatible with ST antenna tuning circuit (STHVDAC series)
    The STPTIC devices in the 6-pin microDFN and flip-chip packages are sampling now to lead customers direct from ST only, at prices starting at $0.50 and $0.48 respectively for volumes in the range of 1,000 pieces. Alternative pricing options for higher quantities are available on request.

ParaScan� is a trademark of PARATEK Microwave Inc.
    11-06-12 03:20 PM
    I posted this earlier.... most interesting thing here is the statement "high power capabilty meeting GSM Standards" satellite communication.

Come on Paratek / Rim...
    Get that fancy antenna tuned to 1610 MHz and let us send short messages through Globalstar satellites. Secure BBM anywhere on earth??? Apple and Android phones can bluetooth to a SPOT Connect device and do it.
    Full add:

SPOT Connect Application

eg:
    "•Send location-based messages via satellite to others delivered as SMS text or email
    •Send custom "Type and Send" 41 character text messages from your location (additional charges apply)
    •Update social networks including Facebook, Twitter and SPOT Adventures from remote locations"

And with BBM 10:1 compression, does the 41 character limit become 410?
    Maybe in the "US of i", this is no big deal, but for the developing world, governments, military, adventurers, it would be huge...
    Stand Up
    11-06-12 03:40 PM
    Stand up... you don't post often but when you do you deliver the goods.Good job.
    11-06-12 04:40 PM
    ...Get that fancy antenna tuned to 1610 MHz and let us send short messages through Globalstar satellites. Secure BBM anywhere on earth???
    I've always wondered this as well. Not only bbm but with compression and push emails could be delivered as well. Not only globalstar but iridium as well.
    Delorme's Inreach - running on iridium - allows 2 way texting, emailing, sos, etc.

or just buy globalstar...155 mil.
    11-06-12 05:16 PM
    I've been wondering about this but Please do break thus down for me. . .these are being made for anyone who can buy them or only for RIM phones? And I still don't get does this give any advantage to RIM? Why did they buy Paratek again?
    11-06-12 05:40 PM
    I've been wondering about this but Please do break thus down for me. . .these are being made for anyone who can buy them or only for RIM phones? And I still don't get does this give any advantage to RIM? Why did they buy Paratek again?
    Royalties, my friend...Royalties! Anyone can purchase them, but at what cost compared to the company that owns them?
    Masahiro, Joy1980 and 00stryder like this.
    11-06-12 09:04 PM
    Rf technologies implementation. Assuming RIM is still sticking to their guns on the "energy consumed for effort spent" mantra, acquiring Paratek is just one of the many little things RIM does to make sure that their phones have an advantage when it comes to that sort of efficiency.
    11-07-12 05:35 AM
    They are using IPAD technology? No thanks.

j/k
    Knightcrawler and drjay868 like this.
    11-07-12 07:40 AM
    its just a matter of time now ladies and gentlemen. even though the past dynamic duo couldn't get things together on some aspect, they did get things right by acquiring paratek and other companies. things wall fall into place, we all just need to be patient.
    11-07-12 01:06 PM
    I dumped SPOT for Inreach. I don't think the quadrafilar antenna you need for good satellite reception will be appreciated by your average cell phone user.

Iridium has a phone where if you attach a wifi dongle, you can get internet access. IIRC, it has some hooks for Blackberry email. There is another company that makes a box that interfaces to a Blackberry for both email and browser. I looked at both and rejected them. The iridium solution looked klunky. Just put wifi or bluetooth in the phone. No dongles please. And it had no fallback to AA cells, though I suppose neither does your Blackberry. (I have a Duracell AA to usb power device, which can then charge the spare battery in the external charger.) The other device didn't have a SOS button.

The big problem with Inreach is no Blackberry support. I had to buy a used Android phone to use the Inreach. Oh, and then a Pelican box because Android phones are not as rugged as Blackberries.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    11-07-12 03:06 PM
    Perhaps these were the chips that were referred to when they said they would be out later next year?
    11-07-12 04:18 PM
    its just a matter of time now ladies and gentlemen. even though the past dynamic duo couldn't get things together on some aspect, they did get things right by acquiring paratek and other companies. things wall fall into place, we all just need to be patient.

Heheheh, you are preaching to the choir. We (CB) are the patient ones (for the most part)

I hope the market and general consumer can remain patient as well.
    11-07-12 04:36 PM
    Looks good, lets hope RIM didn't license the tech to competitors who will use it in their phones BEFORE RIM/BlackBerry does.

I'm ok with them leting the competition use the tech 6 or 8 months from now.
    drjay868 likes this.
    11-07-12 04:57 PM
    so 2 of the top 5 companies are already using them?

apple and samsung? I'd like to say Rim is one of them, but not having any phones out yet, i dont see the point of using new tech in beta devices.
    11-07-12 07:45 PM
    so 2 of the top 5 companies are already using them?

apple and samsung? I'd like to say Rim is one of them, but not having any phones out yet, i dont see the point of using new tech in beta devices.
    Or in the upcoming BB10 phones. I don't think that statement is referring to any phones currently on the market or I'm sure we'd hear somebody making a big deal about it by now. And it says 2 out of the top 5 companies, not necessarily the 2 top manufacturers. So it could potentially be referring to RIM. If I were the owner of the company making new and efficient tech like this, then I'd definitely make sure it was in my product first.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    11-07-12 08:49 PM
    Wow, interesting stuff here. I am glad that this Paratek purchase is definately working out. This idea of true "World Phone" is becoming closer to reality that I would have ever imagined. It seems that RIM is looking to get around the LTE limitation that the Carriers were attempting to set up, and I for one completely love the idea of getting over on the Carriers.

Keep up the Great work, and Great Post OP.
    stackberry369 and drjay868 like this.
    11-08-12 02:53 PM
    With this technology will RIM be able to make some of those concept phones (Blackberry Blade for ex.) or license this and BB10 to some OEMs to make it for them?
    11-09-12 07:09 AM
    So what makes this technology so special. What are we looking at here in the future?
    Simply RIM having to build less devices in the future for all carriers?
    11-09-12 08:40 PM
    So what makes this technology so special. What are we looking at here in the future?
    Simply RIM having to build less devices in the future for all carriers?
    Yep, one device for every carrier. Can be unlocked to be used on any carrier. Also the battery life goes up since it's much more efficient. So you can talk on the phone for longer.
    Dapper37 and stackberry369 like this.
    11-10-12 12:41 PM
    I'm not convinced the effect on battery life will be very significant, unless you count standby time. the backlight is the battery killer.

However, being able to cover more bands with one antenna is a big deal, and not even world wide. T-mob is going to be a mess in the US, especially after MetroPCS gets refarmed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    11-10-12 07:19 PM
    Looks like Paratek is in the Z10
    Inside the BlackBerry Z10 | Recent Teardowns

Other Chips (cont.)

We had one of our readers spot another really good chip story, and one that perhaps helps to differentiate Blackberry in terms of their vertical integration and wireless capabilities. There are three impedance matched BST (Barium Strontium Titanate) IC’s that were developed by a company called Paratek, which was acquired by RIM in March 2012 (the orange devices at right). They play a key role in tuning the antenna. One of the investors in Paratek calls the solution a. “game changer by allowing users to upload data faster and experience fewer dropped calls.”

The BST devices allow for the antenna tuning to be optimized depending upon conditions, thus making them adaptive. Voltages to the BST tuner IC’s are modified to maximize tuner efficiency, thus saving power and reducing dropped calls.
    03-02-13 06:52 AM
    Signal Strength - Early Reviews indicating BB Z10 will be the Best phone on WIND
    WIND Mobile - HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - HowardForums Home

As a WIND customer, having exception signal strength is very important and early reviews are indicating the BB Z10 is the best out there. Can't wait until it comes to WIND.

Link to

Quotes:

"I'll def agree. Coming from an S3 the Z10 is much better with cell reception and also I noticed the wifi signal on the Z10 is much better also. With my S3 I would barely be able to connect on net to wifi in my room with the router all the way in the basement. Either I would connect and have 1 bar or it just drops. I then have to connect to LTE. The Z10 holds 3-4 bars consistently and never a drop. Love it."

"I was in a location yesterday (a local PC World shop) where both my 9700 and my 9900 would lose signal (2G) as soon as I would walk trough the doors. To my surprise the Z10 kept an active signal anywhere in the shop, I was pretty impressed to say the least."

"Same thing here. People say I sound clearer plus I hold onto a signal and can use data where I couldn't before."

"I have an iphone 5 and was comparing with the z10, both on the three network UK. The Z10 constantly had a better signal and was much more likely to be on 3G, rather than 2G, in dodgy areas."

"I've always noticed that whenever I would go on my back patio with cell phones, the signal would go to zero. I figured it always had to do with my back door being made of thick steel. I'm happy to report that this problem is completly gone with the purchase of the Z10. Full signal now. "

"Agreed on the better signal. This thing pulls in full signal in my basement. The iphone 4 and 9900 picked up 0 to 2 bars."

One of the comments indicates this could be as result of the new Paratek chips on the Z10. Regardless, awesome news!!!
    03-17-13 11:53 AM
    I've used all the flagship phones in the last 8 months extensively and with out a doubt the Z10 gets the best reception and signal strength. In metro Vancouver on the skytrain line near Edmonds station I've lost reception on every phone until the Z10. Well done BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    03-17-13 05:38 PM
    Sounds fantastic!
    if true and news starts to spread, this will be huge for BlackBerry. I know my sister can't maintain a good signal at her house on the outskirts of town. Its 50/50 at best! this will be a true test for me. If the Z10 can get a clear and constant signal out there! Paratek is a game changer!
    03-17-13 06:33 PM
    Very cool!
    03-18-13 11:31 AM
27 12