Hello I have had my 1st blackberry for nearly a month now and I love it. This site has given me a wealth of information that has been extremely useful in figuring out my new device. I would like to thank all of the members here for their contributions to help all of the newbies like me. Now here's my question. I have just discovered Pandora (through this forum of course). It is by far one of the coolest apps I have on my bb. I was wondering about data usage for streaming music. I have verizon and as we all know unlimited data means 5gb and I don't want to get slammed with overages. I don't forsee using Pandora for anymore than an hour per day. I use the internet a moderate amount as well. I would be interested in hearing from anyone out there that uses the app. Thanks
    03-24-09 07:05 PM
    You won't get anywhere close to the limit by streaming Pandora especially not for only an hour a day. You would really have to work at it to go over 5GB usage on the device. You'll be fine.
    03-24-09 07:14 PM
    yeah you should be fine with it. you would really need to never get off youtube with your phone in order to even come close to that limit
    03-24-09 08:04 PM
    Thanks for your replies i feel better now. I'm so used to talking a bout data in terms of storage and with drives and whatnot reaching the 1tb range 5 gigs just seems small. I have never used a mobile device for streaming music before so i was just a little paranoid. Thanks again i'm going to go listen to some music now.
    03-24-09 08:20 PM
    I'd be the same way if I had a cap, however Alltel only offers an unlimited data plan
    03-24-09 08:31 PM
    Alltel's cap is 5GB as well.
    03-24-09 08:38 PM
    yeah sux but it takes a boat load of usage online to use that much.
    people here on this forum were using slacker over bluetooth to listen to radio in their cars while they were at work for 8 hrs.

trust me you will almost never get there
    03-24-09 08:57 PM
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm still a little skeptical. I get no radio reception at work, but perfect cellphone signal, so i would like to use Pandora all day everyday at work. After crunching some numbers I came up with this..

After some digging, it looks like Pandora uses 64 kbps for normal quality and 128 kbps for high quality. Lets use 64 kbps to be conservative.

64 kilobits (Kb) = 8 kilobytes (KB)
    8 kilobytes = 0.008 megabytes (MB)
    0.008 MB per second * 60 seconds = 0.48 MB per minute
    0.48 MB per minute * 60 minutes = 28.8 MB per hour
    28.8 MB per hour * 8 hours = 230.4 MB per work day
    230.4 MB per day * 23 work days in a month (max) = 5,299.2 MB
    5,299.2 MB = ~5.3 GB

Double that if you are listing to the high quality stream

So, if my calculations are correct, it is very possible to exceed Verizon's monthly cap. I would love to use Pandora, so if someone can prove me wrong, please do.
    10-21-09 05:51 PM
    I believe with Slacker you can download the songs you listen to and play them offline, so after a few days just shuffle the songs you've already played.

Or, rip some CDs or find some mp3s and fill up your SD card.
    10-21-09 08:24 PM
    I use Pandora for about 45 minutes to an hour whenever I go to the gym. Looking at my statements, the usage is around 20-25 MB for that time period.
    10-21-09 08:54 PM
    I listen to Slacker around 3 hrs./day, and I usually use around 2 GB of data each month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD