06-13-09 08:43 AM
31 12
tools
    06-11-09 10:37 PM
    I'm a true BB lover but my sister is switching from Sprint Mogul to Pre so I'll have to find out how she's liking it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-09 10:40 PM
    I wish there was a GSM edition I would buy one ASAP to try out.
    06-11-09 10:43 PM
    Excellent article. It will probably fall on deaf ears here, but
    very well written and unbiased.

I still don't buy the "this is the this killer" idea. People will buy and
    large choose what works best for them. Got to love variety.
    06-11-09 10:46 PM
    I have played with my friends pre and it is a cool phone but I still wouldn't buy one. I am not a big fan of sprint and the phone is kind of small for a big but lik me.

06-11-09 10:48 PM
    I think a lot of phones do their own things right...

The Dare for example, I know a lot of people here could care less about it, but some of my friends who own them absolutely love that thing. It has a fast OS, a good UI, and seems to be a great dumb phone for basic use.

Even back when I had my LG VX8700 before my Curve I still hold that it was a really amazing phone for what it did do. It was good at it's job which was being a sleek, stylish, simple dumb phone.

The Pre seems "cool" but THAT particular phone matters very little to me. NOW... on the other hand... you smack that OS into a Blackberry-esque form factor and I might be interested... I guess the slider thing is what really sets me off... and Sprint.
    06-11-09 11:11 PM
    Excellent article. I couldn't agree more with his comparison between the purpose of the iPhone and the purpose of the Blackberry.

The Pre looks fascinating, and if everything he said his accurate, I could easily see why corporations would consider using it over Blackberry. *Everything* is moving to web/server based these days, which makes Pre's configuration the ideal setup.

I've played with the phone, and it's an impressive little device. I'm holding off on getting one for now because of the network, and because it's a first gen device, but I can't wait to see what other products they come out with in the near future!
    06-11-09 11:23 PM
    this is the part that baffles my mind...

"When it comes to IM, having a Pre is basically like carrying a running copy of the Mac OS X messaging client Adium in your pocket. Those on my buddy list who IM me via either AIM or Gtalk can't tell that I'm not at my laptop, and we'll have an most of an IM conversation before I mention that I'm actually on the Pre. (I can't decide if it's a blessing or a curse that I'm now constantly available on IM while out and about, and that I can be so available all day without killing the battery, but it's definitely a new experience.)"

how is this any different then whats been done on the blackberry for quite some time now...

Noone ever knows if I am at my comp or on my phone..

I tell them sometimes but honestly this is no breakthrough..

keep in mind there is quite a few things that pre does right and did it well but touting messaging I think the rim clients are fantastic
    06-12-09 12:29 AM
    Pros
    cool touch screen and motion

Cons
    Phone to small,
    Screen to small,
    Keyboard to small,
    Not many apps,
    Gets hot,
    Battery Life sucks,

06-12-09 12:42 AM
    Has this guy even touched a blackberry recently? I believe that RIM has taken steps to make Blackberrys more personal integrated while sustaining business functionality. Why would so many 17 and 18 year olds (basing this on my school) have blackberrys if they weren't good for more than email and business? Blackberry does email, blackberry does IM, blackberry does games, calls, and everything that the pre can do (albeit most don't have touch screens) yes this OS is new, yes it certainly has appeal, but its no blackberry killer, blackberrys will continue to strive and still will always appeal to business and personal users alike.

He likes the way he can IM on the pre, please... Pick up any of the new model blackberrys and see how much you can do on them, then rewrite your darn article.
    06-12-09 01:28 AM
    While the pre is cool, it is only gonna appeal to sprint users. Everyone that I know does not like sprint so they won't switch

06-12-09 02:05 AM
    I think its gonna take a little more than little gestures on a little touchscreen to kill the BlackBerry.......
    06-12-09 03:08 AM
    plam is for other kind of ppl
    06-12-09 04:16 AM
    As far as instant messaging goes, the sidekick has been doing this since atleast 2000

What an *****

06-12-09 05:48 AM
    Very poor choice in title but a pretty good article. I think that people have to realize that the Iphone and BB have completely different demographics for the most part than WinMo devices and the Pre. I know everyone wants the business sector and I think that will be a good struggle. As far as consumers go BB and Iphone win based on brand recognition alone. I know there aren't many kids running into VZW stores asking for a Samsung Saga and I would guess the same will be true of the Pre.
    06-12-09 06:54 AM
    Thr Pre is cool but not cool enough for me to drop my Bold...

06-12-09 08:40 AM
    One look at the keyboard on that thing, along with a few online reviews confirming that what I see is what it is, makes me wonder just what Palm was thinking. The keyboard is major on any smartphone, and it seems like it was an afterthought for the Pre.

How can you possibly "kill" a Blackberry with a keyboard like that? Plus, I run from Sprint.
    06-12-09 08:49 AM
    I wouldn't want that phone. Very small keyboard and my BB can do everything I need it to do any more!
    Not many others who are with VZW or ATT are going to drop their contract with them and go to sprint seriously I want to know what they were thinking.
    Last edited by thinkamp; 06-12-09 at 09:12 AM.
    06-12-09 09:05 AM
    no i hate slider phones
    06-12-09 09:27 AM
    I would consider on getting a pre but there isn't a GSM version of the phone and also my friend has a pre and he always complains about how the keyboard is very small and very frustrating.
    06-12-09 09:29 AM
    Basically, the tone I get out of this guys article is this; Blackberry is for messaging and communication, iPhone is for media/browsing, Pre is the best of both worlds.

He pretty much is saying that the Pre is a combination of a blackberry and an iphone. What a crappy article.
    06-12-09 10:02 AM
    this is the part that baffles my mind...

"When it comes to IM, having a Pre is basically like carrying a running copy of the Mac OS X messaging client Adium in your pocket. Those on my buddy list who IM me via either AIM or Gtalk can't tell that I'm not at my laptop, and we'll have an most of an IM conversation before I mention that I'm actually on the Pre. (I can't decide if it's a blessing or a curse that I'm now constantly available on IM while out and about, and that I can be so available all day without killing the battery, but it's definitely a new experience.)"

how is this any different then whats been done on the blackberry for quite some time now...

Noone ever knows if I am at my comp or on my phone..

I tell them sometimes but honestly this is no breakthrough..

keep in mind there is quite a few things that pre does right and did it well but touting messaging I think the rim clients are fantastic
    I haven't used the AIM on the BlackBerry in a long time, but doesn't it show that you're on a mobile device and/or you can't see full status messages?

On the Pre, If Jane IMs me from GTalk, then IMs me from AIM, then she forwards a funny text, all of it comes within one box. When you reply to each, it replies right back to the respective messaging app. If that happens on the BlackBerry, it takes time to switch to the other messenger to then respond. Even if you say "BeeJive," it doesn't have your SMS in the same box either.

This is a guess as I have the Pre and there's been times I didn't even know I was SMSing vs. IMing.
    06-12-09 10:03 AM
    I work for sprint and the pre will always be in the shadow of my storm. Too much negative feedback for me to switch

06-12-09 06:19 PM
    I work for sprint and the pre will always be in the shadow of my storm. Too much negative feedback for me to switch
    Have you not seen the negative feedback for the Storm? The Pre has a long
    way to go to catch up to that.
    06-12-09 06:24 PM
    I love how it says "The Blackberry Killer" in big, bold letters and just under it the guy is holding up the Pre with the crappiest excuse for a qwerty keyboard in existence.
    06-12-09 06:35 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD