So last week there was a lot of banter as to the possibility of RIMM acquiring palm so as to fix their ailing and aging OS so as to compete on more level ground with android and iphone os

my initial reaction to the news was great strategic purchase rimm, that will get you caught up in no time

but once i had the weekend to digest the information, i'm not sure how positive i am about this. If the purchase were to go through, RIMM would get an OS it has to adapt to their platform, that's the BIS/BES servers, handhelds, desktop manager, etc etc. RIMM is now a huge organization, and traditonally, when large organizations absorb someone else, it still takes time till a migration can be completed, by then would webos be antiquated?

also, i always thought nokia or sony ericsson purchasing palm would be a good fit. their operating systems, are plain, crap, and they could easily just begin rebranding palm devices as N series or E Series for nokia and for sony, whatever their smart phone platform is now, right after a purchase.

It will be more difficult for blackberry as they have an installed and functional base

what are some of everyone else's thoughts on the viability of this purchase?
    Last edited by gptoyz; 04-05-10 at 02:54 PM.
    04-05-10 02:46 PM
    they should purchase Palm, and have the same hardware boot both BBOS and WebOS, just like Palm did with WinCE and PAlm OS. then see which one gets more traction...
    04-05-10 03:21 PM
    RIM hardware EXCELLENT,
    RIM software poor.

Palm hardware average,
    Palm software AWESOME.

Acquisition = best of both worlds.
    04-05-10 03:24 PM
    what are some of everyone else's thoughts on the viability of this purchase?
    i've played with every smart phone platform out there.

and if RIM buys and starts making Palm-like devices i will stop using RIM products or refuse to update.

Smart Phones & ADHD do not mix well at all, and webOS is living proof of that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-10 03:28 PM
    I think it would be monumental if they bought them out.. Let's hope. I dont think Palm will go down.. RIMM should step in.
    04-05-10 06:42 PM
    If RIM buys Palm, you can kiss both companies good bye. That's a volatile combination that is bound to explode in failure.
    04-05-10 07:02 PM
    i've played with every smart phone platform out there.

and if RIM buys and starts making Palm-like devices i will stop using RIM products or refuse to update.

Smart Phones & ADHD do not mix well at all, and webOS is living proof of that.

not having had extensive time on the WebOS platform what was so terrible on it that resulted in your conclusion that "smart phones & adhd do not mix"?

i'm curious about its deficiencies
    04-05-10 07:14 PM
    WebOS is very unstable.
    04-05-10 07:27 PM
    not having had extensive time on the WebOS platform what was so terrible on it that resulted in your conclusion that "smart phones & adhd do not mix"?

i'm curious about its deficiencies
    Its just the fact that there is so much going on at once the phone has a massively hard time keeping up with everything and if you are doing one thing and it decides to poll for another thing the phone begins to crawl. I have a friend of mine that that LOVEDDDDD his Pr� when he bought it and not even 6mths later he is debating on getting a different phone altogether. And his wife is in the same boat as he is. In fact his exact word were "Sure a blackberry can multi-task, and the newer ones don't bog down. And iPhone never worry about locking up a phone. And Android users have it made. My Pr� is a paper weight that makes phone calls".

04-05-10 10:25 PM
    I think that the WebOS is excellent, but there are some issues with it that would make RIM not use it. Number one on that list would have to be security. In addition, it doesn't seem to be too good with battery life and we all know how RIM has been in the past regarding battery life.

Cool idea, but then when you start really hammering out the details, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would much rather RIM put any money that would go toward such a buyout into research and development.

04-06-10 11:23 PM
    I think that the WebOS is excellent, but there are some issues with it that would make RIM not use it. Number one on that list would have to be security. In addition, it doesn't seem to be too good with battery life and we all know how RIM has been in the past regarding battery life.
    Palm decided to put an 1100 mAH battery in the Pre, that's why the battery life is such trash.

I'd love to see this. RIM hardware married with webOS would be a dream. But it's not going to happen, since RIM has too much invested in their current platform to do this. Maybe someone like HP will end up buying Palm.
    04-06-10 11:28 PM
    I honestly believe Web OS deserves better than RIM. Blackberry OS is so antiquated nothing could really help it but a full rebuild. A full rebuild of Blackberry OS is the equivalent of NY changing over the whole subway system from DC to AC.
    04-07-10 08:41 AM
    I honestly believe Web OS deserves better than RIM. Blackberry OS is so antiquated nothing could really help it but a full rebuild. A full rebuild of Blackberry OS is the equivalent of NY changing over the whole subway system from DC to AC.
    I have to disagree 100% with that, they don't need to redo everything, just add some of the new features to the RIM lineup.

04-07-10 08:44 AM
    I agree with mjneid. I think this has been discussed to death what we would want.
    04-07-10 10:35 AM
    I agree with mjneid. I think this has been discussed to death what we would want.
    Indeed. The majority of people here are happy with the BBOS.

04-07-10 12:30 PM
    PALM up today $0.73 or 18% on takeover rumors. Rumored buyer = Lenovo.
    04-07-10 12:33 PM
    PALM up today $0.73 or 18% on takeover rumors. Rumored buyer = Lenovo.
    rumored buyer is now HTC.
    04-09-10 09:23 AM
    rumored buyer is now HTC.
    hmmm this thought crossed my mind that HTC could buy Palm when reading that

I've never had an HTC, though they seem like solid devices. UI? I hear Sense is good, but not that good. webOS + HTC = win? Compared to some other platforms like Nokia / Samsung I've heard virtually zero about hardware issues with HTC, but I would still like it more if RIM would buy Palm.
    04-09-10 09:43 AM
    I have a Tilt, and it's been a pretty solid device. As boring as a Sunday sermon, but pretty solid.
    04-09-10 10:30 AM
    Honestly I tried a Pre like once and hated it. That was like 5 minutes worth, but still. But HTC does make some decent phones. I would still be using my Diamond if the screen wasn't broken probably.
    04-09-10 01:25 PM
    Mr. Obvious, mind enlightening me as to why you felt the Pre was not a good experience?
    04-09-10 02:56 PM
    all i need is a QWERTY and BBM. the rest dont matter.
    04-09-10 02:57 PM
    If HTC bought Palm, the whole Apple lawsuit would get interesting. Doesn't Palm hold several lawsuits that Apple Stepped all over when they made the iPhone?
    04-12-10 10:09 AM
    If HTC bought Palm, the whole Apple lawsuit would get interesting. Doesn't Palm hold several lawsuits that Apple Stepped all over when they made the iPhone?
    Yes, that is what some people say (you meant patents, not lawsuits). Whether that is worth a billion dollars to HTC is another question.
    04-12-10 10:21 AM
    I dont think anyone would buy Palm for whatever large cost then engage in costly patent litigation on top of the purchase price.

I also dont think HTC would even be able to come back in the suit with patents they just acquired through a purchase. That wouldnt be equitable once the suit already began.
    04-12-10 10:33 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD