So my buddy recently bit the bullet and bought a new unlocked DTEK60 from Blackberry online. He is a Mech. Engr. and not fond of change and has been happily using his Blackberry 7290 since 2004. Unfortunately the carrier in the area (Bell Canada in GTA) has been retiring the cell sites and replacing with LTE. His plan for the last many years did not include data but we have been conversing regularly without problems using BBM because it is piggybacked on Blackberry's network. So now he is struggling to come to terms with Android and just to make matters worse he finds that the carrier has dinged him $11.00 for the first few days in extra charges for data because the Bell representative mis-configured his service to use data. Now we cannot use BBM unless he is in a WiFi zone. Any suggestions or should he just upgrade to a Data plan at an added cost of $25.00 per month ?
    11-08-16 07:51 AM
    So my buddy recently bit the bullet and bought a new unlocked DTEK60 from Blackberry online. He is a Mech. Engr. and not fond of change and has been happily using his Blackberry 7290 since 2004. Unfortunately the carrier in the area (Bell Canada in GTA) has been retiring the cell sites and replacing with LTE. His plan for the last many years did not include data but we have been conversing regularly without problems using BBM because it is piggybacked on Blackberry's network. So now he is struggling to come to terms with Android and just to make matters worse he finds that the carrier has dinged him $11.00 for the first few days in extra charges for data because the Bell representative mis-configured his service to use data. Now we cannot use BBM unless he is in a WiFi zone. Any suggestions or should he just upgrade to a Data plan at an added cost of $25.00 per month ?
    What is he paying for his plan currently and what is he getting?
    If the phone factory unlocked or did he buy it from Bell?
    11-08-16 08:04 AM
    Dude is an engineer. He could likely spring for a data plan, no?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-08-16 08:09 AM
    Yeah right.....guy was still using and out dated phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 08:21 AM
    I somehow think you are missing the point IMHO. The compression of data on BBOS is something that many enjoyed for many years and was a plus. The carriers decided that this was not in their interests, so they have pushed for BIS to be eliminated.

I for one would have appreciated the compression of the data, as it would eliminate the need for a higher data plan, currently I always go over my plan every month.

Android BlackBerry
    11-08-16 08:21 AM
    he needs a data plan, the phone is worthless without it. Tell him to quit being cheap and join the next century
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-08-16 08:22 AM
    "What is he paying for his plan currently and what is he getting?
    If the phone factory unlocked or did he buy it from Bell? "

Current plan I believe is around $50. He bought the phone Factory Unlocked.
    11-08-16 09:28 AM
    "What is he paying for his plan currently and what is he getting?
    If the phone factory unlocked or did he buy it from Bell? "

Current plan I believe is around $50. He bought the phone Factory Unlocked.
    Get this data only plan LTE Mobile Hotspot | Plans | SHOP | Fido.ca (column 1) and have them disable inbound sms and voice.
    Get a sip account from voip.ms or similar.
    install and configure a sip client on the phone.

If you have a factory unlocked phone this is the way to go.
    He may not like change but he is an engineer and now that he basically has to change I am sure he can handle this fine.

One critical thing to remember is to use the phone dialer and not the sip client if you need 911.
    Mobile SIP and 911 don't mix.
    11-08-16 09:48 AM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    he needs a data plan, the phone is worthless without it. Tell him to quit being cheap and join the next century
    +1

Posted via CB10
    11-08-16 09:50 AM
    He doesn't strictly need a data plan but it sure is nice to have.
    I know a person who travels all over Ontario and doesn't even have a cell phone.
    I really wish she would get one.
    11-08-16 09:57 AM
    Tell him to pony up and buy a data plan or deal with wifi only access to BBM and web.
    11-08-16 10:41 AM
    That's impressive just to have a phone for that long. Lol. Data is wicked expensive imo. But if he is used to not having it a small plan would probably do him fine

#luvmybb10os
    11-08-16 11:12 AM
    Get this data only plan LTE Mobile Hotspot | Plans | SHOP | Fido.ca (column 1) and have them disable inbound sms and voice.
    Get a sip account from voip.ms or similar.
    install and configure a sip client on the phone.

If you have a factory unlocked phone this is the way to go.
    He may not like change but he is an engineer and now that he basically has to change I am sure he can handle this fine.

One critical thing to remember is to use the phone dialer and not the sip client if you need 911.
    Mobile SIP and 911 don't mix.
    Wow I didn't realize you could get that 'hotspot' plan for Data Only on a phone. If he uses VOIP for voice that might do the trick at a handsome savings. It's worth a try to see if it meets his needs. As you can probably guess he is 'frugal' with his cash. Thanks !
    11-08-16 11:46 AM
    Wow I didn't realize you could get that 'hotspot' plan for Data Only on a phone. If he uses VOIP for voice that might do the trick at a handsome savings. It's worth a try to see if it meets his needs. As you can probably guess he is 'frugal' with his cash. Thanks !
    If you need any help you can PM me.
    My family, friends and I have been doing this for years and saving cash.
    11-08-16 12:02 PM