I guess my question is; How long before enough new features come out that have you looking at a new device?

I say 1-year.

As a Tour owner; sure the 9700 and Tour 2 have some nice additional features, but not enough to make me upgrade.

I look back at my previous 8330 and in comparison to the Tour... It's a big leap. I had the 8330 for one year.

When will something be significantly better than my Tour? Like a better camera, processor, browser... Summer 2010?

Your thoughts?
    11-01-09 09:58 AM
    I never held it down to a time frame. If what I have does what I need it to do
    then I am good. As far a Blackberry goes, I am off the upgrade track simply because
    every new device on the horizon (that us non-insiders know of) is simply an
    underwhelming retread of an existing device.
    11-01-09 10:19 AM
    I do not upgrade my phone often, but I do think and plan of upgrading every 2 years or so. What I do is just have a look at the offerings, is there something that really is better than mine in terms of features and functionality? Say if a new BlackBerry comes out that has much better specifications than my Curve 8900 and comes with OS 6.0, to which my Curve 8900 can't upgrade, then maybe I'll upgrade to that BlackBerry if the new OS makes a difference.

I would go anyday back to my 8700c if it had a removable MicroSD card slot. OS 4.5 is very good and the device is very stable, but 64Mb just isn't enough. Who knows, maybe I won't be BlackBerry next year, maybe it'll be the Palm Pixi or some other device I'll be upgrading to.

At any case, if I ever decide to upgrade then NEVER and ABSOLUTELY NEVER to a recently announced device. I don't want to be an "early adopter" facing many problems (compare Storm1). If something comes out with good ratings in reviews and it looks good, I'll be upgrading to that.
    11-01-09 10:44 AM
    I never held it down to a time frame. If what I have does what I need it to do
    then I am good. As far a Blackberry goes, I am off the upgrade track simply because
    every new device on the horizon (that us non-insiders know of) is simply an
    underwhelming retread of an existing device.
    Fair enough. But when do you feel the technology change is significant enough to consider?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 09:41 PM
    Fair enough. But when do you feel the technology change is significant enough to consider?
    Well now there is the hard part because we are talking about phones. Almost
    all progress in phones is for the most part immaterial. These are not computers
    so the technology does not lend itself as readily, or radically to change.

But as an example of improvements take the pre Pearl 8100 devices.
    No camera, no media card, no multimedia functionality, no GPS, no WiFi,
    no 3G, paltry memory, etc... Those definitely made upgrading worth it.

Now look at what is out there or in the pipeline, there is nothing
    appreciably different or world turning enough to put any of them on my radar.

In all honesty, and I have said it over and over, I'd be very content if RIM
    would make no new devices and focus on overhauling the outdated OS from
    top to bottom. Give me a phone with an OS that is not stuck in the late
    90's and I'd be the happiest guy on Earth
    11-01-09 10:15 PM
    this is a fresh thread.. refreshingly different, and thought provoking.. kudos OP!

i think AG hit the nail on the head.. for RIM, the road to about a year ago was very uphill until the release of the 8900 and the storm. there simply was nothing else like them. but from then on(and looking forward) they are making nothing but small revamps of an existing device. RIM was taking very large leaps in technology, but from here on out, it just looks like they will make smaller steps just to keep people content. having said that, i am definitely intrigued by what the android platform is doing.. it seems they are the ones doing the leaping now. im not due for another upgrade for about a year, but as soon as sprint gets "something very technologically ahead", i will be all over it.

i would say about a year is good in the cellphone market to get something new.
    Last edited by SofaKingKev; 11-01-09 at 10:32 PM.
    11-01-09 10:30 PM
    Well now there is the hard part because we are talking about phones. Almost
    all progress in phones is for the most part immaterial. These are not computers
    so the technology does not lend itself as readily, or radically to change.

But as an example of improvements take the pre Pearl 8100 devices.
    No camera, no media card, no multimedia functionality, no GPS, no WiFi,
    no 3G, paltry memory, etc... Those definitely made upgrading worth it.

Now look at what is out there or in the pipeline, there is nothing
    appreciably different or world turning enough to put any of them on my radar.

In all honesty, and I have said it over and over, I'd be very content if RIM
    would make no new devices and focus on overhauling the outdated OS from
    top to bottom. Give me a phone with an OS that is not stuck in the late
    90's and I'd be the happiest guy on Earth
    I second this, and as soon as I upgrade to the Tour (who knows when USCC will release it) I think I'll be in the same boat. Good call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 10:35 PM
    I used to always change phones like twice a year and realized it was alot of money wasted. Now Im just waiting till my contract is up or a phone thats upgraded with everything new.
    11-01-09 10:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD