11-28-08 01:11 PM
61 123
tools
    Let's see. Sucks up entire At&t 3g due to inefficient ping pong function, shipped w/bunk chip so 3g drops, battery lasts 30 minutes, MobileMe a MobileMess, serious Enterprise security issues, slapped in your mitt to activate at home, no copy-paste, no MMS.
    Ge me my BOLD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    But they are selling for $700 - $900 on Craigslist here in NYC the 3G 16GB which supposedly is fully unlocked & jailbroken and it seems everyone at the gym I goto (NYSC) has one -- although I would never risk bringing something like an Iphone onto the gym floor where it can easy 'walk' or break if a dumbell hits it.

Also, except for the touch screen which at times is a pain in *** to use on my tilt, I think it is very cool especially for videos & web browsing and also because it is essentially the Ipod touch, Ipod & a phone in one.

The sidekick is a joke and pretty 'ghetto'. I originally got a sidekick II back in 2005 before the first BB 7290 I owned, went thru 2 sidekicks until the store mgr allowed me to xchange to a Blackberry. The thing was so clunky, sound quality horrible, couldn't send an email on yahoo before you couldn't hit the 'compose' button to type an email. IMHO, I think that in terms of smartphones the BB Curve, Tilt, & Sony Ericsson Walkman W760I would be underrated not ghetto junk like the sidekick
    10-12-08 12:24 AM
    Let's see. Sucks up entire At&t 3g due to inefficient ping pong function, shipped w/bunk chip so 3g drops, battery lasts 30 minutes, MobileMe a MobileMess, serious Enterprise security issues, slapped in your mitt to activate at home, no copy-paste, no MMS.
    Ge me my BOLD.

First off..where did you hear this "30 minute battery" lie? I have 2 email accounts setup on mine, with making calls throughout the day, I can get at least 1 day life.. which isn't good, but it's not 30 minutes. And serious enterprise security issues? It uses ActiveSync, almost the same version on the Enterprise Class Windows Mobile phones.. (minus Task syncing)

And I sure can activate at home, or anywhere else I please. You only have to do the instore activation if you're a consumer.

I ordered my iPhone on AT&T Premier (their business site)..it arrived, I plugged it into iTunes, activated and have been using it without ever getting on a phone with att or seeing anyone in person to get it activated.

Got to love that people are suddenly an expert on the iPhone from what they READ on the web.
    10-13-08 10:17 AM
    its not on there twice... its the iphone and the ipod touch. two different devices.
    I think the iPhone is overrated in the sense that the hype implied it did things other phones didn't already do. The ipod touch is not overrated, just overpriced. At least that's my opinion.

Let's see. Sucks up entire At&t 3g due to inefficient ping pong function
    Having a 3G phone and a broadband connect device with AT&T that is neither the iPhone nor Bold definitely requires patience. Hopefully the network will improve with time.
    Last edited by unmasked; 10-18-08 at 03:07 PM.
    10-18-08 03:05 PM
    The Iphone is like the Yankees, Duke basketball, The Cowboys etc... So good everybody hates them, but deep down inside they know its good...lol.

It might not be the perfect phone for everybody, but for what it does, its the best. Thats evident by every new phone in the media being a potential "iphone killler". Its funny because that statement in and of itself is an admission of its dominance.

I'll hold my breath for phones to be called the "Storm killer". Most people wouldn't even know what your talking about if you said that...lol.

I'm about to get a Bold, (whenever the heck it comes out) for its functionality to go alongside my iphone 3g. I'll have the ultimate in Web Browsing, mobile music and video and business solutions at my fingertips 24/7. (I NEED two phone lines and although the iphone "could" do everything, what fun would that be? )

Just can't wait for the slingmobile applications to get started on BOTH devices
    Last edited by jay0heavenly; 10-18-08 at 07:56 PM.
    10-18-08 07:54 PM
    I've been going by iJ'enay for about a month now, its worked wonders.

but will it work for iRIM?

answer: depends on the situation
    10-23-08 08:45 AM
    As it continuously remains to be on back order, and out of stock in a lot of stores. It may be overrated, but it's obvious people still want it and like it a lot.
    Oh, no question, no argument. But, many are disappointed by it. It does some things better than any other handset, and falls short in other areas. Based on the hype, one does not expect the iPhone to fall short at all.
    10-30-08 12:36 PM
    I gave the 16GB 3g iPhone a serious going-over when I went shopping: it was that or the Curve. I actually spent more hands-on time with the 3g than I did with the Curve at the AT&T store. I was turned off by: no user access to memory or battery, touch screen keyboard didn't feel right, no copy/paste. Having never had MMS before I didn't make that a criterion but now that I've had it I don't want to be without.

Still, apart from those gripes I thought the iPhone was a pretty damned nice gadget. The interface was great (apart from typing) and the web browser was stellar by comparison. When my current iPod dies I'll probably replace it with an iTouch--by then the price ought to be lower, too.
    10-30-08 02:55 PM
    One thing I see every day working for a carrier who has both the Bold and Iphone is both have their place in the market. The bold is a dedicated work platform while the Iphone is a trend setting, gotta have toy. Since the July 11 release date in Canada, Rogers has had customers jump through hoops to get the devise only to have them replaced once, twice, or even three times. Problems with the casing not fitting or bright spots on the screen have been common or when Apple released software updates causing some devices to die have made me laugh at the sucker who too just had to have it no matter what. Almost since the day it was launched in Canada the Iphone has been on backorder with there being over 2000 for about two weeks straight. Now what gets me is how people brag about the way that the Iphone works with Itunes as if it's a good thing, If I buy a device why should I be tied to a web site to unbrick the stupid thing and if you can't manage your own music maybe you should stick to CDs. With all the free music on the net why belong to a site that needs a credit card to download music or other files?
    BTW you RIM fans he Bold is not with out its faults also. It's a blend of new and old technology and BlackBerries had it's share of replacement orders as well though not as bad as the Iphone. There biggest issue here is getting a bold as they have been on back order for almost a month with small shipments that still have not cleared up the backlog. Best piece of advice I can give is if the device works the way you want it to don't worry what the next guy has, you most likely didn't pay for it anyway..
    10-30-08 05:51 PM
    That ties into another strike against the 3g in my book: it's too new. I bought into the Berry world via a Curve, knowing full well the Bold would be out in a couple of weeks. Too new. I prefer to let other people pay good money to beta test new products; when the bugs have been ironed out after a year or so I can look at the track record and decide whether to buy in.

10-30-08 06:15 PM
    most of the things on the list are not overrated
    its just because they are simply better than the "underrated" product. They are just trying to find ways to take down successful companies..
    10-30-08 11:28 PM
    3G is old. Verizon has been running 3G speeds for over 3 years now. There's a reason they're called "The Network" and ATT is not. 3G just upsets me because CDMA phones started to call their 3G (which is just 3rd generation wireless data communication) EV-DO, and GSM networks called it 3G. Brilliant marketing but you always have the people that are pompous about their 3G iPhone. I show them my 3G CDMA on the back of my curve any time they say their phone is faster because it is 3G and it shuts them up right away.
    10-30-08 11:46 PM
    I know 3g itself isn't new, but the "3g" iPhone is. That's what I meant.

10-31-08 07:49 AM
    3G is old. Verizon has been running 3G speeds for over 3 years now. There's a reason they're called "The Network" and ATT is not. 3G just upsets me because CDMA phones started to call their 3G (which is just 3rd generation wireless data communication) EV-DO, and GSM networks called it 3G. Brilliant marketing but you always have the people that are pompous about their 3G iPhone. I show them my 3G CDMA on the back of my curve any time they say their phone is faster because it is 3G and it shuts them up right away.
    The different is that 3G on ATT(HSDPA) is faster and allows for voice/data at the same time, CDMA 3G does not.

Verizon's 3G may be larger, but they cannot lay claim to being the fastest. That's where ATT brags.

Once ATT fixes it's tower-to-tower disconnects and adds a few more towers in rural areas and places it needs, what will all the ATT hater's say then?

I'd still rather have an ATT 3G device that I can tether and still make phone calls, than have a Verizon device with a FORCED data plan, as well as an aircard..

So while you browse the web on your aircard and talk on your BB, you have a dorment/paused paid for data plan on that BB that is doing nothing but costing you money.
    10-31-08 11:58 AM
    anyone see crackberry in the "niche" site list on that same website???? havent heard any of yall mention that but I was happy to see us addicts on there
    11-09-08 11:48 PM
    I just couldn't give any credence to this list at all...an MSN article bashing two Apple devices and pumping up the Zune and Vista yech.
    11-10-08 12:14 AM
    And suckers from the general public who are blind enough to fall for the marketing...

Hmm. I wouldn't call the iphone overrated, necessarily, however there is a ton of hype surrounding this device. Eh, chalk it up to fantastic marketing on apple's part.

11-10-08 12:57 AM
    Seems to me like the "MSN" network really dosent like Apple. LEts be honest the IPOD is great, the touch is a nice device, my son has one. I mean come on the Zune better than the IPOD...really...seriously? The list also tried to hype Vista as underrated. Geez Microsoft make another operating system and move on. Vista was a failure.
    11-10-08 08:09 AM
    Oh, no question, no argument. But, many are disappointed by it. It does some things better than any other handset, and falls short in other areas. Based on the hype, one does not expect the iPhone to fall short at all.
    You may want to get your facts straight on this one. The iPhone has a higher satisfaction rating. The iPhone is definitely not overrated. I just think too many people that doesn't fit the demographic of the iPhone seem to want to put it down and call it 'overrated'

Here is a chart for you:
    2008 Business Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power and Associates

Also look at the percentage of future Smartphone buyers (2nd chart down):
    Smart Phone Wars: Apple vs. RIM vs. ...the Android Operating System?

There are less iPhone users and therefore should translate to the satisfaction rating being in favor of RIM.

My take, both devices do what they do and do it well.

Also... The 'biased' remark about Vista (whoever said it), the competition was XP, not MAC OS, so I'm not sure how it is biased. I actually agree as I use Vista and think it's 10Xs better than XP. Everyone was using the 1st generation Vista and never give the revisions a chance.

11-10-08 09:03 AM
    No device is perfect. Every device has had its flaws. I think the iPhone is a great device that just has some key flaws. It still amazes me how anyone can type on the virtual keyboard. Its to small to use two thumbs but to big to use just one. The landscape keyboard is almost perfect but the only app you can use that in is Safari, not Mail or SMS. The thing I really don't like is that it doesn't have a video camera. I need that to catch all those fights at school. The lack of MMS might be a bit annoying but you can still send an email. So if the iPhone over hyped? Yes, but is it still a great device? Yes. You literally have the internet in your pocket. (Well if your in an fast 3G coverage area, if your on EDGE forget about it) The iPhone isn't perfect for everyone especially those that type a lot. But its Apple, if Apple made a condom the number of teenage pregnancy would drop dramatically because it would have so much hype.
    11-10-08 09:39 AM
    "Overrated: To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly."

The iPhone may be very satisfying to many, but its flaws are too many to live up to its rep. The public believes the iPhone to be vastly superior to any other smartphone out there--in fact, the iPhone has been so hyped, a huge number of people who don't even know what a smartphone is are sure that it's the best.

It isn't. It has shortcomings and problems, as do all the devices. Like the Blackberry, it does some things better than anyone else, and falls short in other areas. Still, since it cannot live up to the promise of its hype or its reputation, then it is, by definition, overrated. BTW, Blackberrys are also overrated in this regard--they can't live up to the reputation they have in the non-Blackberry public.

By the way, I am a fan of many Apple products (not a fanboy, just a fan). Having spent a great deal of time with all versions of Windows prior to Vista, Mac OS X, and several Linux distributions, I will say that my favorite of the bunch to use is OS X. I will also tell you that it is the most overrated. Why? Don't people love it? Yes. Isn't it easier to use and more stable than Windows? Yes, again. Doesn't it have the highest satisfaction rating of any computer OS? Yup.

However, because of the incredible Apple hype, the public at large seems to think that OS X has *no* problems, that it is completely stable, and that if you buy a Mac, you'll never need help because it's so easy to use. None of this is true. That makes the Mac OS overrated--I sill like it the best, but it isn't as good as its reputation.
    11-10-08 05:19 PM
    I have an iPhone and I cant tell you how many times my programs have crashed.. these are programs approved by the app store and I ONLY have programs from the app store.

Every single one of the programs has crashed at one time or another.. It's F-ing annoying.. seriously.

I'll be in the middle of something and blackscreen, then crash to homescreen where the icons are.. I want to toss it against the wall sometimes. =/
    11-10-08 05:56 PM
    i dont think the iPhone is overrated, i like it. not as much as blackberry, but its still pretty sick. i love all the stuff my iTouch does too .... it does everything the iPhone does exepct make calls. i guess its a matter of taste and what you like and what you need.

same thing goes with MS or MAC when it comes to PC, as long as your happy, **** what everyone thinks. just do you.

just my 2 cents.
    11-10-08 07:05 PM
    Yeah, my mom has the iphone I fooled around with it for a bit... I don't like it and its too big.

11-10-08 08:03 PM
    Yeah, my mom has the iphone I fooled around with it for a bit... I don't like it and its too big.

Explain exactly how it is too big ?
    11-11-08 07:06 AM
    I have an iPhone and I cant tell you how many times my programs have crashed.. these are programs approved by the app store and I ONLY have programs from the app store.

Every single one of the programs has crashed at one time or another.. It's F-ing annoying.. seriously.

I'll be in the middle of something and blackscreen, then crash to homescreen where the icons are.. I want to toss it against the wall sometimes. =/
    What's so funny is the same problems exist on the Blackberry.
    11-11-08 07:07 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD