I just am really at awe how amazing the BB10 file manager is. It is very convenient. Has great capabilities and is only getting better.

I really dig moving files from the pc with it. Makes for some effortless work of file management.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:32 PM
    Spot on. I find it very intuitive. The zip and unzip built in is very handy as well.
    11-03-13 01:41 PM
    totally agree. it's so overlooked because there's nothing to complain about. I've used it mostly for the box and dropbox integration.
    southlander likes this.
    11-03-13 02:09 PM
    What I'd zipped and unzipped. I've seen it just don't know what it does

Sent from The Legendary Zed10
    11-03-13 02:31 PM

I'm guessing you're asking what they are.

A zipped file is a compressed file. It is usually done to decrease the file size, so the transfer/download/upload is done faster or just to preserve storage space. When it reaches it's destination, it can be unzipped again and used.

Here's an example. Look at the two files "aan de slag..." First one is normal, second one is zipped. Notice the difference in file size

Attachment 217025

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 02:43 PM
    It is not overlooked by me! Have this on my main screen of Apps. Absolutely essential and easy to use. I use it everyday.
    11-03-13 03:01 PM
    It is a great tool compared to previous BlackBerry file managers. There are a number of very cool features in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:12 PM
    It is not overlooked by me! Have this on my main screen of Apps. Absolutely essential and easy to use. I use it everyday.
    Ditto.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:30 PM
    Excellent feature! Use it often mostly to move photos over to box dropbox or sd card.
    Might be nice for people to post how they use this & other features on their BB10 devices. It may trigger ideas for others on how to use their BB's.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:42 PM
    It is indeed nice with seamless integration with Box and Dropbox. Even better if you managed to snatch Box promotion in the past for bonus drive space.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 06:25 PM
    Yep & something you don't find natively on iOS & I don't THINK you can find on the other mobile OS's either.
    11-03-13 07:55 PM
    Am not sure if I using this correctly, I have zipped a 45mb file and after it has been zipped it is 44.6mb.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:40 PM
    Am not sure if I using this correctly, I have zipped a 45mb file and after it has been zipped it is 44.6mb.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted via CB10
    Nothing. Zip compression is not really compression lol. If you need real compression use 7zip or winrar.

I find zipping more useful when you have to send over many files and it's easier just to zip it into one versus attaching every single one. Plus, you can't send .exe extentions over email because most anti virus software will block it so it has to be zipped first.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:22 PM

You can create and extract zip archives natively. If you've unzipped files in Windows for example -- same idea.

I've downloaded zip files at various times and always found the built in zip/unzip with the BlackBerry 10 file manager makes it easy to unzip the files. No app needed. Additionally it flows nicely. I find using the file manager on BlackBerry 10 fairly close to using a PC. I like it. Whereas Apple for example does not like to expose the file system on iOS to the user. That something I have never liked about iOS.

I admit I've not used a lot of file managers on Android. But the one I had on my DROID RAZR max when I had it -- I don't remember being as nice.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    11-03-13 09:32 PM
    Pictures are already highly compressed same with videos. Zipping them will have little effect. Documents and other files get roughly a 75% compression ratio.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:34 PM
    Thanks, that clears that up for me, will look into the other options

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 09:36 PM
    Wish it had .rtf support along with Docs to Go, but it's pretty good. Especially after the cruel joke that was the PB File Manager.
    11-03-13 09:38 PM
    100% I concur. The file management is very easy in the BB Z30 .

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-04-13 01:09 AM
    For me, the File Manager and it's many very functional options is an essential tool.
    I use it regularly to create my picture albums and for generally keeping everything in good order.
    Everybody should familiarise themselves with it in order to get the most out of their phone.

Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by bennelong; 11-04-13 at 03:26 AM.
    11-04-13 02:49 AM
    Damm, I read "overclocked " bb10.

Z30, and yes, it's a bit on the heavy side...
    11-04-13 03:24 AM
    It's the capability of the file manager that has kept me from leaving bb
    11-04-13 08:18 AM
    I just love the file manager

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:36 AM
    The file manager is excellent - i use it to manage my sd card, and swap with the internal mem, manage photos, attachments and the like.

It is logical and really works well. Indeed, it's what draws me to android also - the ability to manipulate files and create folders HOW I WANT TO!!!

Ios and windows - well my iphone 5 is jail broken so I have a file manager (but not ios7) and wp8 - the file manager I've downloaded works on the sd card only - and to open things you either dump the file onto skydive (never going to happen, value my security!) or it copies it to the internal mem and deletes it back afterwards... unwieldy.

That's what pushes me towards BlackBerry and android: decent file managers are a must.

But then it's perhaps just me being stubborn and not wanting to be told how to manage my affairs!

I'm old ;-) lol

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-04-13 08:55 AM
    I was reading WP8 has no file manager, is this true? I won't use a device I can't manage my files on the air I see fit.
    11-04-13 08:59 AM
    I was reading WP8 has no file manager, is this true? I won't use a device I can't manage my files on the air I see fit.
    It doesn't have a file manager per se - each file type and app are associated, so office docs are with the office app (excellent app by the way), pdf with the pdf reader/writer of your choice etc. Each file type is managed within its own "container", with the app.

Basically just like ios.

File managers can be downloaded for the sd card, if the device supports an sd card - or else use the cloud - Google drive, skydive, I think there is an app for box or whatever else also.

Essentially wp is like ios. If you can manage an ipad, then wp is similar.

I've the lumia 1020 (haven't upgraded it to the latest os - allows more flexibility) - the device is great; however I go to the Z30 or Q10 for certain things, or my galaxy s4.

But yes, wp doesn't need a file manager, though you can get them.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-04-13 09:46 AM
47 12