CouponCodes4u.com has conducted another interesting industry survey to discover whether or not the latest rumored BlackBerry BB10 devices have enough in them to make Americans switch cell phones and if they are excited about the latest rumors and photos surrounding the new phones.

The study surveyed 1,092 Americans. Respondents were initially asked whether or not they personally owned a BlackBerry device, to which 39 percent said ‘yes’, while 61 percent said ‘no’. Those respondents who said that they did not own a BlackBerry device were asked to stipulate the type of mobile device they owned, with the majority, 53 percent said they owned a Samsung device, while 38 percent said they had owned an iPhone of some description, and 9 percent, of respondents said they owned a phone other than the top three devices mentioned in the survey.
    According to the survey, the respondents were then asked if they were impressed by the proposed spec and photos of the BlackBerry 10 devices that have leaked online. 55 percent said that they were while 31 percent of respondents admitted that they were unsure and needed to see more information about the phone. Just over 14 percent said they were not impressed by the proposed device.
    Those who said that they were impressed by the BlackBerry 10 devices were asked to explain which proposed features they were most excited about, choosing from multiple answers. The most popular answer, with 59 percent, said the “touch sensitive bezel and screen gestures” while 51 percent cited the “bigger battery” and 45 percent mentioned the 8MP camera. 37 percent of consumers liked the ability to choose between a touchscreen and a QWERTY keyboard device while 25 percent said the improved BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) was an impressive feature.
    Let's hope this survey indicates that RIM is about to make a comeback. They sure need it and the industry still needs them.
    Source : Over half of US phone owners are impressed with rumored BlackBerry 10 devices - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com
    Twitter: @ddeino

EDIT : Thanks to xandermack : I found that this study was issued by the same company that have previously released a quite lame one regarding PlayBook sales, scoring a 12% market share. So - despite my comments bellow (that supposed the study was "fair") I strongly suggest we consider this as encouraging, but with a Xlarge pinch of salt.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-08-12 at 01:30 PM.
    drjay868, 00stryder, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    10-05-12 06:50 AM
    That's interesting. Let's just hope it translates to some sales and a higher stock price.
    Blacklatino, kbz1960 and CDM76 like this.
    10-05-12 07:57 AM
    Very nice. I'm surprised that many people even know about it. Hopefully this means that people are not only interested in an alternative, but will buy one too!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-05-12 08:09 AM
    nice, hopefully this will keep our berries afloat.
    10-05-12 09:11 AM
    Frankly, I am more surprised that 39% of random Americans surveyed actually already owned a BB. The way the media has been talking nowadays make it seem like BBs are only in single % digits.
    00stryder and drjay868 like this.
    10-05-12 09:16 AM
    39% of respondents owning a BlackBerry is a SERIOUSLY skewed sample in the US. Something's fishy here.
    10-05-12 09:21 AM
    Very nice. I'm surprised that many people even know about it. Hopefully this means that people are not only interested in an alternative, but will buy one too!

the survey could have been conducted with a dev alpha demo or a video to show it. with the rise in stock i'm sure the new BB10 has been on a few different news outlets for people to see, i know i've heard abotu it a few times after the last earnings report
    10-05-12 09:26 AM
    39% of respondents owning a BlackBerry is a SERIOUSLY skewed sample in the US. Something's fishy here.
    I thought that too, but I think most stats we see are for consumers and do not include the corporate phones. In other words this survey probably asked if they had a BlackBerry, not do you have a BlackBerry as a personal use phone.
    drjay868, JR A and 00stryder like this.
    10-05-12 09:29 AM
    I read the whole thing, very nice article.
    Glad to see RIM is getting some numbers back.
    10-05-12 09:34 AM
    Respondents were initially asked whether or not they personally owned a BlackBerry device
    Note there isn't the word "currently" in this. Means they can have sported one before their current device (if different) ;-)
    10-05-12 09:44 AM
    +1

As much as I want to celebrate this study, also find it overwhelming that so many people are bb10 aware. What is the universe for this statistics? CrackBerry community?
    10-05-12 09:47 AM
    Rely on this study all you want. I work in mobile retail and I promise you not even 15% of US phone owners even know what bb10 is let alone impressed with it. I'm dying to know where this study was conducted and how this seriously represents the country as a whole. This is just a dramatic way to increase hype for bb10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    10-05-12 10:05 AM
    +1

As much as I want to celebrate this study, also find it overwhelming that so many people are bb10 aware. What is the universe for this statistics? CrackBerry community?
    I don't think the people in the survey were necessarily BB10 aware before the survey. I'd be willing to bet they had a spec sheet or Dev A/B device to show.
    10-05-12 10:07 AM
    Rely on this study all you want. I work in mobile retail and I promise you not even 15% of US phone owners even know what bb10 is let alone impressed with it. I'm dying to know where this study was conducted and how this seriously represents the country as a whole. This is just a dramatic way to increase hype for bb10.

"Dramatic way to increase hype for BB10" - This a bad thing?

While I'm quite sure the poll is skewed, I think anything that increases awareness of BB10 is a positive thing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-05-12 10:11 AM
    Scratch some of what I just said. It was an internet survey, so I'm sure there was no device to show/see, but maybe the questions gave some information like "Do you think the dual core 1.5Ghz processor in the upcoming BB10 phones is sufficient for your mobile needs?" Or some crap like that.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    10-05-12 10:16 AM
    Frankly, I am more surprised that 39% of random Americans surveyed actually already owned a BB. The way the media has been talking nowadays make it seem like BBs are only in single % digits.
    Because the market share numbers that get reported in the media pertain to new device sales. Admittedly this is a significant metric in comparing a company's health and ability to generate revenue, but it is not a very accurate way to measure how many of what devices are actually in use. I have a feeling such a measurement would cast iOS and BB in a much more favorable light compared to Android as opposed to new device sales numbers. I could look it up, but I just don't feel like it.
    hpjrt likes this.
    10-05-12 10:48 AM
    I take any survey that does not explain its methodogy to be quite suspect.
    Nice breakdown as to the findings, but nothing about the survey itself.
    Blacklatino and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-05-12 11:14 AM
    "Dramatic way to increase hype for BB10" - This a bad thing?

While I'm quite sure the poll is skewed, I think anything that increases awareness of BB10 is a positive thing.
    Yeah your right actually. Its not so much a bad thing as it is tacky. All OEMs are probably guilty of it though.

10-05-12 11:47 AM
    I take any survey that does not explain its methodogy to be quite suspect.
    Nice breakdown as to the findings, but nothing about the survey itself.
    Pretty much summed up my thoughts. Not to mention a sample size of ~1000 is just way to small to be significant in any meaningful way, especially to make a claim pertaining to "over half of US phone owners". Glad some people are impressed by BB10 though.
    timberdc likes this.
    10-05-12 01:03 PM
    "The study surveyed 1,092 Americans." From this number they get half of US phone owners? 0.o Lol.
    10-05-12 01:11 PM
    A sample size of 1000 is fine if it's a properly selected random sample. However, an internet poll is already non-random and an internet poll with only 1000 responses is a very small pool as those things go. Trying to extrapolate from that to the general population is an incredible abuse of statistics and means absolutely nothing whatsoever.

At best you can say that 39% of visitors to CouponCodes4u.com have BlackBerry's and over half of those visitors are impressed with what they've heard about BB10, and even that is flawed as not every visitor will have responded to the poll.
    10-05-12 01:13 PM
    What is the universe for this statistics? CrackBerry community?
    I doubt 53% of the CrackBerry community owns a Samsung device, or that 38% own an iPhone.

1000 respondents is too small a sample to be making a claim upon "half of US phone owners" though.
    10-05-12 01:21 PM
    I don't think the methodology is great on this one. CouponCodes4u.com surveyed people? How? Where? Online? That may not be an accurate sample of the public. Perhaps of their own website visitors, but you can't say US citizens in that case. 30+% owning BlackBerries? Doubtful. Most important features were the gestures (ok), bigger battery, and 8PM camera? Huh?

Kind of a pointless survey in the end. Let's wait for a real one.
    10-05-12 01:29 PM
    So, 130% of people surveyed said that had a smart phone? Impressive.
    10-05-12 02:07 PM

Tehy don't. This sounds like made up crap. See my post just above this.
    10-05-12 02:08 PM
55 123