Here is tweet from RIM devs
    , it looks like they will do another one so another 5k atleast..so total should be close to 150000 apps by lanuch..no other new OS ever rlzed these many apps

Research In Motion‏@BlackBerryDev

YOU did it! over 15,000 apps submitted during our #BB10portathon truly amazing, thank you to our devs

37 hours. 15,000 apps. 1 amazing developer community. #BB10portathon. That's 7 apps per minute.
    TWet #BB10Portathon we all achieved a huge milestone -- over 15,000 apps in a little over 36 hours. WOWOWO!! Thank you all

15K APPS IN ONE WEEKEND..Here is tweet from RIM over 15k apps submitted during our #BB10portathon truly amazing, thankS devs
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-13-13 12:31 AM
    That oughta tickle some folks. I've read it that no other platform has launched with this many apps to start with. Glad to see developers participating!
    01-13-13 12:34 AM
    Correct, no other new OS ever release with over 100k apps, not even icrape and spyroid.
    01-13-13 12:39 AM
    RIM investing in their own platform. Putting their money where mouth is!!
    15,000 Apps = $1,500,000 USD.
    $100 per app!
    01-13-13 12:48 AM
    what? no ******** about skype or netflix? Ok....I'll do it....
    01-13-13 01:52 AM
    what? no ******** about skype or netflix? Ok....I'll do it....
    lol, funny! but all that talk has thankfully died down. I think people figure Netflix is in Skype for obvious reasons is not (their affraid!)
    Finally people have moved on. for now!
    01-13-13 02:14 AM
    Yay, no skype and netflicks. now i dont have to worry about those BS apps netflixs pissed me off today by combining msn to it and deleting all my nice features. so screw skype.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-13-13 02:15 AM
    i wonder what the quality of these apps are. i sincerely hope that these developers were working to get their apps work properly before this portothon. RIM always emphasized that they want quality, this just seems like quantity. sincerely hoping we get some quality apps in here.
    01-13-13 09:19 PM
    i wonder what the quality of these apps are. i sincerely hope that these developers were working to get their apps work properly before this portothon. RIM always emphasized that they want quality, this just seems like quantity. sincerely hoping we get some quality apps in here.
    it`ll be the same as any random selection of 15k apps for any platform. some will be great, some will be good, some will be bad, some will be awful. its the law of averages (and thats before you add personal subjectiveness to it)
    needforbbx likes this.
    01-13-13 09:26 PM
    Not trying to sound negative but I remember when PlayBook OS 2.0 was released, RIM and others boasting about how many apps were been submitted but look what happened? The whole "BlackBerry has no apps" notion did not improve whatsoever. Aside from a few good independent apps and a few popular games, nothing really changed. I'm waiting for the weeks following January 30 before I get excited.
    01-13-13 09:40 PM
    Not trying to sound negative but....
    Every time someone starts a post off like that, they have every intention of sounding negative.
    01-13-13 09:51 PM
    Not trying to sound negative but I remember when PlayBook OS 2.0 was released, RIM and others boasting about how many apps were been submitted but look what happened?
    Can you find a source? I don't remember them ever saying things like "PlayBook launching with 75,000 apps". Ever.
    01-13-13 10:02 PM
    You have to wonder. Given they ported one every 7 minutes or something crazy. If there's 15,000 fart apps in the store come 30 Jan we'll know they were the most expensive Baked Beans made since Blazing Saddles.
    01-13-13 11:45 PM
    You have to wonder. Given they ported one every 7 minutes or something crazy. If there's 15,000 fart apps in the store come 30 Jan we'll know they were the most expensive Baked Beans made since Blazing Saddles.
    Well, doing a "portathon" would naturally bring in fart apps from the Android Market. I also saw some really really stupid apps like a "convert bit to byte", "convert bit to kilobyte", etc, "convert cm to m", "convert cm to inch". Yes, these were all SEPARATE apps. each which had like 2 text boxes and a submit button. I thought these might have been ported from the portathon, but luckily? Alec Saunders confirmed that the portathon apps have yet to be approved, so the ones I saw yesterday, were ported prior.
    I also asked if they are screened for content and he said "by their discretion". So hopefully, low content apps are not paid $100.

Never the less, $100 per app isn't that much considering RIM is spending $1 Billion for launch. With $100/app, they could technically get 10,000,000 apps if they spent it all on paying out developers! Which would far surpass both ios and android markets combined! But of course, they're not spending even that much since there aren't that many apps out there.
    01-14-13 12:00 AM
    Never the less, $100 per app isn't that much considering RIM is spending $1 Billion for launch.
    They did not say they're spending a billion dollars on launch. Anywhere. This is a rumour that sprouted on these forums. The closest was Thorsten warning that he expected cash positions to drop as BlackBerry 10 was brought to market, but he didn't expect it to drop below $2 billion from $2.9. I can see how this can be interpreted as RIM declaring, "We're going to spend $1 billion on marketing!!!!!!" but they never actually said that.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-14-13 at 07:23 AM.
    01-14-13 06:29 AM
    RIM investing in their own platform. Putting their money where mouth is!!
    15,000 Apps = $1,500,000 USD.
    $100 per app!
    Not completely correct. Only eligible apps will be rewarded. Question then what "eligible" means in this case
    01-14-13 06:36 AM
    This. You can have two million apps and it still won't make a difference if the quality is crap or the apps people want aren't there. Having 30 calculator apps to pick from is nice, but where are the apps that are in demand (Skype, Netflix)? Will those be at launch?
    01-14-13 09:24 AM
    This. You can have two million apps and it still won't make a difference if the quality is crap or the apps people want aren't there. Having 30 calculator apps to pick from is nice, but where are the apps that are in demand (Skype, Netflix)? Will those be at launch?
    Yes, it seems like RIM is only trying to shield itself from criticisms about the "Lack of apps" by inflating the raw app numbers. Unfortunately, this may come back to bite them in the **** because with Windows Phone 8, the blogs and reviews are no longer giving a pass to OSes based on number of apps. They now focus on the availability of brand name apps. Even though WP8 has Netflix, Skype, Cut the Rope, etc., they are still considered to have "No apps" because there's not Flipboard, Instagram, official Twitter/Youtube/Facebook.

RIM can at least mitigate negative feedback by making sure that the top apps they DO have are prominently displayed front and center in App World, and the crap Ebook and calculator apps stay far out of sight. This is difficult to do as the algorithms that decide what makes the front page generally the number of reviews, ratings and downloads as the inputs. But new-ish apps won't have that many reviews to begin with, and it's possible that high quality (but not brand name) apps are not downloaded enough and thus have low visibility. With 150K apps in App World, it also becomes impossible for RIM to manually identify which apps should be promoted on the App World front page.
    01-14-13 10:31 AM
    They did not say they're spending a billion dollars on launch. Anywhere. This is a rumour that sprouted on these forums. The closest was Thorsten warning that he expected cash positions to drop as BlackBerry 10 was brought to market, but he didn't expect it to drop below $2 billion from $2.9. I can see how this can be interpreted as RIM declaring, "We're going to spend $1 billion on marketing!!!!!!" but they never actually said that.
    and to add to this point, i imagine the bulk of that 1 billion drop would have something to do with building and transporting the phones themselves.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 10:41 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Can't wait to hear about the quality and quantity of apps for the new BB10!!!.... its going to be simply amazing!!! ... January 30t!!h ... RIM takes off!!
    01-15-13 03:14 AM
    Correct, no other new OS ever release with over 100k apps, not even icrape and spyroid.
    Technically, this isn't a new OS. It's really just the next evolution to the original PlayBook OS. All the "guts" are the same.
    01-15-13 09:16 AM
    If the app doesn't work properly it wouldn't be approved by RIM.
    01-15-13 09:17 AM
    Technically, this isn't a new OS. It's really just the next evolution to the original PlayBook OS. All the "guts" are the same.
    Most of the guts are not the same, things have been redone with BB10 that are NOT available in the PBOS. It started from a common point, much like Unix and anything derived from it (like Mac OS). BB10 development took a left turn quite some time ago (which is why you stopped seeing any sort of rapid release for the PlayBook).
    01-15-13 09:20 AM
    Most of the guts are not the same, things have been redone with BB10 that are NOT available in the PBOS. It started from a common point, much like Unix and anything derived from it (like Mac OS). BB10 development took a left turn quite some time ago (which is why you stopped seeing any sort of rapid release for the PlayBook).
    The core of the OS is still the same. Everything you see in BB10 was always on the roadmap for the PlayBook OS (Cascades, etc).
    01-15-13 09:50 AM