The why is simple. People don't want to waste their hard-earned money on a device that doesn't meet their needs.
    Doesn't meet *your* needs, you mean. OS10 and BlackBerry hardware beat all of the iPhones, HTCs, Samsungs, LGs, Asus and other phones and tablet hardware/ OSes that I've had an opportunity to own and use extensively.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 01:50 PM
    Doesn't meet *your* needs, you mean. OS10 and BlackBerry hardware beat all of the iPhones, HTCs, Samsungs, LGs, Asus and other phones and tablet hardware/ OSes that I've had an opportunity to own and use extensively.

Posted via CB10
    Well it's a good thing you aren't making smartphone decisions for the rest of the world because 99% of the world would be unhappy.
    04-08-16 02:13 PM
    I witnessed this when CDs were introduced and my collection of vinyl was laughed at, despite my CD collection being equally large.
    There are still people out there who appreciates vinyl and its sonic characteristics against CDs, although its a niche, as today we are shifting from physical (vinyls, CDs) to digital.

Why can't we simply accept an ecosystem that contains a multiplicity of ideas, tastes, products?
    Whoever they are, they must be living in a dream world. This is simply reality. Competition is reality. There will be no innovation without it. If the Wright Brothers sorely believed we cannot achieve flight, you can't go from London to New York for 7 hours now.
    Oshasat likes this.
    04-08-16 02:36 PM
    Plasmas are definitely more expensive to build and are not as bright as other technologies. But if you have migraine prone family members they are great because of the higher refresh rate like mine at 600 mhz. We got ourselves a 50 inch LG for $800 4-5 years ago actually was cheaper than most others in the size.
    Plasmas definitely do not have higher refresh rates! The tech topped out at 96Hz, compared to 240Hz with LCD.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-08-16 02:52 PM
    Oops the m wasn't supposed to be there.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-600hz/

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 03:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, I meant "their" since it refers to "people".

It was a response to the question of why won't people just buy BB10 (and the dog-whistle insult that they're okay with iOS & Android).

In fact, it applies to you as much as anyone else. I really don't care about your particular needs or beliefs. They aren't relevant or important to the diatribe posed by the OP.

If BB10 does what you want, great. If asking questions and throwing up a thinly veiled insult towards others, please refer to my response in question.
    TGR1, MikeX74 and JeepBB like this.
    04-08-16 03:54 PM
    Well it's a good thing you aren't making smartphone decisions for the rest of the world because 99% of the world would be unhappy.
    This is my point, of course. It's not a phone for everyone -- iPhone and Samsung also ready make those. I admit that BlackBerry serves a niche market; but that only means that there is a place for them, however small. All it apparently takes is 3 million phones a year, and a fraction of the market would be satisfied.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 05:14 PM
    This is my point, of course. It's not a phone for everyone -- iPhone and Samsung also ready make those. I admit that BlackBerry serves a niche market; but that only means that there is a place for them, however small. All it apparently takes is 3 million phones a year, and a fraction of the market would be satisfied.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is the company that makes BB10 phones. I don't know what they feel is necessary for them to keep making them. Breaking even might not meet their goals. We can't force companies to continue to make products just because a small minority wants them. I have no issue if they continue to make them, but I certainly won't condemn them if they don't.
    04-08-16 05:23 PM
    Blackberry is the company that makes BB10 phones. I don't know what they feel is necessary for them to keep making them. Breaking even might not meet their goals. We can't force companies to continue to make products just because a small minority wants them. I have no issue if they continue to make them, but I certainly won't condemn them if they don't.
    LOL. Nobody's forcing BlackBerry to make phones. The 3 million break-even figure is John Chen's. I wasn't knocking other phones, just asking for some room in the ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 05:29 PM
    LOL. Nobody's forcing BlackBerry to make phones. The 3 million break-even figure is John Chen's. I wasn't knocking other phones, just asking for some room in the ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    OK.
    04-08-16 05:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Who are you asking for room? Apple? Samsung? Consumers?
    TGR1, Eumaeus and JeepBB like this.
    04-08-16 05:54 PM
    Who are you asking for room? Apple? Samsung? Consumers?
    Actually, I was addressing the audience here in the CB forums ('fora' actually). I happened to notice that there seems to be a healthy contingent of anti BlackBerry, anti-PKB, anti BB10 folks commenting on what one might assume is a space dedicated to those who actually _like_ some of these attributes that are associated with BlackBerry. Instead, I find the opposite, so naturally I'm surprised.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    04-08-16 06:33 PM
    Actually, I was addressing the audience here in the CB forums ('fora' actually). I happened to notice that there seems to be a healthy contingent of anti BlackBerry, anti-PKB, anti BB10 folks commenting on what one might assume is a space dedicated to those who actually _like_ some of these attributes that are associated with BlackBerry. Instead, I find the opposite, so naturally I'm surprised.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you can buy us all rose colored glasses.

It's not anti-blackberry, it's pro-reality.
    04-08-16 07:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is a place for discussing BlackBerry, the good and the bad. Right now, there's a lot of bad surrounding the company and ignoring it won't change that. There's no rule that says we all have to think the PKB is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There is no rule that says we have to agree with everything the company does. There is no rule that says we can't have, let's just say, more realistic viewpoints about the health of the company. There's no rule that says we can't have differing opinions about the so-called superiority of BB10(or the inferiority of other OS's). There's no rule that says we all have to pretend like everything's gonna be alright. If you want a forum where people only talk about the positives or pretend like everything's okay(and the company isn't in a seriously precarious state), this isn't it. You might actually have to start your own website for that one.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    04-08-16 08:20 PM
    Maybe you can buy us all rose colored glasses.
    Nah. Banishment will suffice.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 08:24 PM
    Nah. Banishment will suffice.

Posted via CB10
    Who would you have left to talk to?
    04-08-16 08:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually that's not what your statement in your first post said at all. You were blaming society for not allowing certain things to exist even though a small portion of people might like them. You discussed how society won't allow Blackberry exist and how they will only allow one or two options and so forth.

Now its turned into a post directed to people here on your thoughts on people's behavior in the forum. I find it fascinating.
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-08-16 09:21 PM
    Who would you have left to talk to?
    The non-banished, obviously.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-08-16 10:07 PM
    Actually that's not what your statement in your first post said at all. You were blaming society for not allowing certain things to exist even though a small portion of people might like them. You discussed how society won't allow Blackberry exist and how they will only allow one or two options and so forth.

Now its turned into a post directed to people here on your thoughts on people's behavior in the forum. I find it fascinating.
    Glad to amuse and entertain.

All I've done is to make the link between some of those who've answered this thread by essentially confirming my original contention (i.e. wishing to enforce an iOS/Android universe) and their membership in society at large.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 12:32 AM
    This is a place for discussing BlackBerry, the good and the bad. Right now, there's a lot of bad surrounding the company and ignoring it won't change that. There's no rule that says we all have to think the PKB is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There is no rule that says we have to agree with everything the company does. There is no rule that says we can't have, let's just say, more realistic viewpoints about the health of the company. There's no rule that says we can't have differing opinions about the so-called superiority of BB10(or the inferiority of other OS's). There's no rule that says we all have to pretend like everything's gonna be alright. If you want a forum where people only talk about the positives or pretend like everything's okay(and the company isn't in a seriously precarious state), this isn't it. You might actually have to start your own website for that one.
    My point exactly.

And there's no rule which states that I have to accept that typing on glass, opening an app for every form of message (i.e. not centralizing messages via the Hub), and repeatedly hitting a physical home button (i.e. not gesturing) is somehow more "advanced." those are simply differences that I choose not to engage with.

As you put it: "...There's no rule that says we can't have differing opinions..."

I fully agree.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 12:46 AM
    Compared to what?
    Well for example... durability. In the almost 3 years that I've had my z10, seemingly every iphone user I know ( and there are everywhere) has changed phones once or twice for one reason or another ( including cracked screens, dead batteries, or just needing the latest or something larger) whilst my z10 shows no sign of slowing down.

When I asked what that new shiny thing they are showing off costs, I smile and walk away.

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    04-09-16 09:54 AM
    Well for example... durability. In the almost 3 years that I've had my z10, seemingly every iphone user I know ( and there are everywhere) has changed phones once or twice for one reason or another ( including cracked screens, dead batteries, or just needing the latest or something larger) whilst my z10 shows no sign of slowing down.

When I asked what that new shiny thing they are showing off costs, I smile and walk away.

Posted via CB10
    My old nexus 4 is still being use by my gf and she not even in the market for a new phone. And I just had to return my six month old work bb because it was a lemon (my employer is issuing me a new one).
    04-09-16 10:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't qualify the Z10 as remotely durable. The screen will crack just like any other phone. It's tough to compare how many other phones you see with broken screens because there are so few Z10's out in the market. One thing I do know is that because of the way the Z10 is built if the screen cracks it renders the phone completely useless because of the way the screen is made. It's no more durable than any other phone with a glass screen, except other phones can at least continue to work with a cracked screen and the Z10 can't.

And fire sale prices for the Z10 are great, but if you paid $599 for it when it launched with the terrible battery life and camera that it has I don't think many people would feel like they got a "deal" with that phone.
    04-09-16 11:19 AM
    A. I didn't say you were wrong, I said it didn't make sense to me.

B. People are using "survival of the fittest" analogy because it falls in line with your analogy of "ecosystems."
    People on CB -- like people everywhere in the OECD universe -- have been using the phrase "survival of the fittest" for years. Darwin actually borrowed it from Adam Smith when he release ''The Origin of the Species,'' so an evolutionary biologist borrowed an organic phrase from an economist. Misuses abound.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 01:44 PM
    There are still people out there who appreciates vinyl and its sonic characteristics against CDs, although its a niche, as today we are shifting from physical (vinyls, CDs) to digital.

Whoever they are, they must be living in a dream world. This is simply reality. Competition is reality. There will be no innovation without it. If the Wright Brothers sorely believed we cannot achieve flight, you can't go from London to New York for 7 hours now.
    Funny you should say that, when I was young you could fly from London to new York in 3 hours 30 minutes! A thing called concord we had, it was brilliant but not viable for 99% of the population and so it died.

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-09-16 03:00 PM
116 ... 2345