Apart from the need to take advantage of economies of scale in order to turn a profit, I have noticed the often-used argument on CB forums that (based on consumer sales) Blackberry is a 'bad' hardware company because they're not selling enough handsets.

But is that the only criteria we should use when judging what's 'good' 'of worth' or value?*

Likewise, the argument that "most people" don't want/use/need a particular feature found in BlackBerry (physical keyboards, Hub, call quality, etc.) is too-often cited as a reason that BlackBerry hardware should die a fast death.*

I've also noticed that this is an attitude often found in many societies*(western, industrial)*at large. The acceptance of one (idea, viewpoint, brand, product, etc.) translates into the rejection of *everything* else.*

Some writers have labeled it a "monoculture." That is the tendency to deride, defame or diminish a desire to simultaneously maintain a divergence of competing or contradictory views -- or in this case, consumer products. Hence, the emergence of a single, overriding, and dominant culture.*

iPhones and Samsung for all: other alternatives must die. A monoculture.

I witnessed this when CDs were introduced and my collection of vinyl was laughed at, despite my CD collection being equally large. As I said, acceptance of one seems to call for the rejection of all else. It's as though we can't juggle two or more thoughts or preferences simultaneously.*

Rock and Roll rises, and jazz dies. Blue jeans go from rejected to accepted and become the dominant 'uniform' for generations.*It's all or nothing.*

Whether it's jeans, running shoes, political views, musical tastes, etc., the popular tendency is to go 'all in' and vehemently deny any alternative 'ways of being'.

Why can't we simply accept an ecosystem that contains a multiplicity of ideas, tastes, products?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 11:05 AM
    Yeah you're looking way too much into this. Hardware and OS failures are on Blackberry.

As for Samsung I see plenty of non-samsung Android Phones in the USA, so just cause they sell the most don't think they have the market cornered in the Android realm the same as the iphone.
    JeepBB, TgeekB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    04-06-16 11:13 AM
    Apart from the need to take advantage of economies of scale in order to turn a profit, I have noticed the often-used argument on CB forums that (based on consumer sales) Blackberry is a 'bad' hardware company because they're not selling enough handsets.

But is that the only criteria we should use when judging what's 'good' 'of worth' or value?*

Likewise, the argument that "most people" don't want/use/need a particular feature found in BlackBerry (physical keyboards, Hub, call quality, etc.) is too-often cited as a reason that BlackBerry hardware should die a fast death.*

I've also noticed that this is an attitude often found in many societies*(western, industrial)*at large. The acceptance of one (idea, viewpoint, brand, product, etc.) translates into the rejection of *everything* else.*

Some writers have labeled it a "monoculture." That is the tendency to deride, defame or diminish a desire to simultaneously maintain a divergence of competing or contradictory views -- or in this case, consumer products. Hence, the emergence of a single, overriding, and dominant culture.*

I witnessed this when CDs were introduced and my collection of vinyl was laughed at, despite my CD collection being equally large. As I said, acceptance of one seems to call for the rejection of all else. It's as though we can't juggle two or more thoughts or preferences simultaneously.*

Rock and Roll rises, and jazz dies. Blue jeans go from rejected to accepted and become the dominant 'uniform' for generations.*It's all or nothing.*

Whether it's jeans, running shoes, political views, musical tastes, etc., the popular tendency is to go 'all in' and vehemently deny any alternative 'ways of being'.

Why can't we simply accept an ecosystem that contains a multiplicity of ideas, tastes, products?

Posted via CB10
    Problem was BB10 didn't have an ecosystem to accept.... there are many problems with BB10 and BlackBerry in general that prevented them from being able to capture the attention of consumers.

You're just trying to put this into some box called monoculture so you can understand it..... doesn't mono mean one?

The blame for BlackBerry's failures lies with BlackBerry, not society.
    04-06-16 11:20 AM
    Such as "Human" to one another, every human being must have a way to live their lives each, every human being may not all be the same or can be forced to be equal to a specific human way of life.
    Oshasat likes this.
    04-06-16 11:36 AM
    Problem was BB10 didn't have an ecosystem to accept.... there are many problems with BB10 and BlackBerry in general that prevented them from being able to capture the attention of consumers.

You're just trying to put this into some box called monoculture so you can understand it..... doesn't mono mean one?

The blame for BlackBerry's failures lies with BlackBerry, not society.
    Tell me what problems does BB10 have, other than the app ecosystem? It's BlackBerry's fault for not supporting the Devs and for not allocating enough resource for it! Killing the OS just after 1-2 years, and without giving enough time for it to mature.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 11:44 AM
    What does rejection of a noncompetitive platform by consumers have to do with a so-called "monoculture", which IMO is misused in this context? Consumers had and continue to have plenty of choice.
    Jerry A, cribble2k and Witmen like this.
    04-06-16 11:59 AM
    Tell me what problems does BB10 have, other than the app ecosystem? It's BlackBerry's fault for not supporting the Devs and for not allocating enough resource for it! Killing the OS just after 1-2 years, and without giving enough time for it to mature.

Posted via CB10
    5 years, massive losses of customer base and one heck of a lot of money. I think that's a bit of an incentive to bail.

As for "Tell me what problems does BB10 have, other than the app ecosystem", that's akin to saying "other than not having ready access to food and water, why can't you live there?" All factors do not have equal weight and availability of apps (consumer to business) is integral for today's best selling smartphones.
    04-06-16 12:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    The problems with the OS and individual devices have been brought up here more than enough. BlackBerry is a business, they simply had lost more than they could afford to lose on BB10, and they weren't in a position to change the downward trend in sales. The Passport was launched, sales fell... The Classic was launched, sales fell, The LEAP was launched, sales fell.... Some will say that was due to a lack of marketing or investing in the platform. But it's clear if you look at the other OS out there, Tizen, Sailfish, Firefox, even Windows... in the Mobile market you have to have APPS.

How much more do you thing it would have taken to turn things around.... a billion, two billion? Five or six hundred million on a marketing campaign, at least a Billion on developer relations to get the "key" apps. Set aside another billion to cover subsidizing a new launch device - like the PRIV, but sold for $450. Just on the "chance".....
    04-06-16 01:26 PM
    Tell me what problems does BB10 have, other than the app ecosystem?
    Other than being on fire, what's wrong with that house?
    04-06-16 01:30 PM
    I willing to accept whatever smartphone platform you wish to use. What social network do you want to use to talk about it? What? You only use BBM? What about Facebook, SnapChat or WhatsApp? Talk about monoculture!
    Maxxxpower and Michael Quinn like this.
    04-06-16 01:39 PM
    Lol and people in here think that iPhone users are pretentious. Make a good enough product at the right time and people will buy it, simple as that. Deliver a product that isn't ready for the market much too late when people have moved on, then you have a problem. Blackberry did this to themselves, society didn't do it to them.
    Last edited by donnation; 04-06-16 at 06:59 PM.
    04-06-16 02:10 PM
    Wouldn't that be a diculture?
    04-06-16 02:28 PM
    What does rejection of a noncompetitive platform by consumers have to do with a so-called "monoculture", which IMO is misused in this context? Consumers had and continue to have plenty of choice.
    Monocultures can be dangerous... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-06-16 03:51 PM
    Wouldn't that be a diculture?
    Monopoly 1
    Duopoly 2
    Oligopoly several

:-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-06-16 03:53 PM
    Monocultures can be dangerous... :-D

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    Only if you go around kissing strangers.... but then a little danger now and then is what makes life worth living.
    04-06-16 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're putting Blackberry's failure on "the argument that "most people" don't want/use/need a particular feature found in BlackBerry (physical keyboards, Hub, call quality, etc.) is too-often cited as a reason that BlackBerry hardware should die a fast death.*" This is not why Blackberry failed. Blackberry became complacent when they were the big dog. That's why they failed! They lacked vision and foresight. This is the tech industry and you cant sit back and watch. when you're on top you only have one direction to go and you need to fight to stay. Blackberry refused to fight. They refused to innovate and they couldn't see the future. Apple saw it, and so did most Android phone makers. The only help that consumers gave Blackberry in their fall was refusing to buy outdated devices with substandard builds. Even with that, a lot of us bought the Z10 when it was released. We bought it knowing it had serious defects but we all loved the company and bought into it anyway. Consumers didnt let this company down, The company let the consumer down.
    04-06-16 04:06 PM
    Why would people want to use platforms that lack 'features' (apps) that the other, more successful platforms already have?

It's been said over and over again, BlackBerry lacks apps, it lacks ecosystem, and therefore, is not really giving people an ideal user experience.

No amount of hub can fix that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-06-16 04:41 PM
    I will admit I love the thinly vial insult of Western societies in the op rant. Well played sir

Posted via CB10
    Oshasat likes this.
    04-06-16 04:47 PM
    Was it ok that we lived in a "Monoculture" when Blackberry had all of these former users? Stupid society. If they would only side with Blackberry we wouldn't have these problems.
    04-06-16 05:41 PM
    Are you referring to the vast array of choices between iOS and Android slabphones? THAT'S the monoculture I'm referring to. I'm trying to avoid rehashing the corporate foul-ups that began around 2007 because those have been done to death in these forums. I'd like to focus on consumer acceptance, and why it is that in 2016 we can't simply welcome a variety of form factors and operating systems. The history is interesting, but it's not the whole story.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 06:53 PM
    Are you referring to the vast array of choices between iOS and Android slabphones? THAT'S the monoculture I'm referring to. I'm trying to avoid rehashing the corporate foul-ups that began around 2007 because those have been done to death in these forums. I'd like to focus on consumer acceptance, and why it is that in 2016 we can't simply welcome a variety of form factors and operating systems. The history is interesting, but it's not the whole story.

Posted via CB10
    Why can't Blackberry make a phone that appeals to consumers and that would want to buy it?
    04-06-16 07:03 PM
    I'd like to focus on consumer acceptance, and why it is that in 2016 we can't simply welcome a variety of form factors and operating systems.
    Why can't Ford buyers welcome the tried and true Pinto platform in 2016? They were very popular in the late 70s, after all.

Why can't Apple fans embrace the 9" monochrome CRT model that made the Macintosh famous?

Almost everyone agreed that plasma TVs had the best picture quality. Why aren't those available from any manufacturer anymore?

The reality is that technology advances, and the market dictates what works and what doesn't. Many factors play into those decisions, including specs, price, style, usability, versatility, brand image, and more.

The Pinto can't sell because it's mechanically ancient. Same with the OG Mac. Plasmas didn't sell because they were more expensive to make, were bigger and heavier, used a ton more power and generated a ton of heat. And PKB phones don't sell because virtually everyone prefers an all-touch smartphone in 2016.

And no matter how successful a product or form factor once was, once the mass market starts moving away from it, sooner or later (usually sooner) it will reach a point where it's no longer profitable to make that product in the low volumes that it can be expected to sell. The Catch-22 is that to make a low-volume product viable, you need to be able to charge a lot for it, but even the people who want one usually wont' pay the higher price when a similar (but less desirable for them) product exists at a lower price.

The free market is a brutal place. Today's winners are tomorrow's losers, which is why you have to see the trends before they arrive (and hopefully SET them), because if you don't, you get left behind, QUICKLY. And that's exactly what happened to BB.
    04-06-16 08:19 PM
    If Henry Ford would have asked the pubic what they wanted, they would have replied "a faster horse".

BlackBerry needs to create and market a superior device, with apps, for factor and functionality that exceeds the home button options that exist in the market today. The imperfection of free market means certain industries consolidate and only a few options remain. Ie: apple ios, android.

The feat is how far we've come, the irony is how few options we have left.

Posted with a Passport for Productivity
    04-06-16 08:29 PM
    Other than being on fire, what's wrong with that house?
    What I meant to say is, is that BB10's fault or BlackBerry's fault!? BB10 is the best yet Mobile OS on the planet! BlackBerry killed it.
    The person I was quoting was telling BB10 had problems, that simply is not the case.
    And house being on fire, Chen put it on fire, there was nothing wrong with the house though!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 09:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    The market does accept different operating systems and form factors. It just so happens that most of the market prefers iOS and Android and the slab like phone. It seems like you have the problem accepting this?
    TGR1, Ronindan, TgeekB and 1 others like this.
    04-06-16 09:19 PM
116 123 ...