Give it another 5 years and we will see driverless cars making much of this argument moot.
    isn't already in use in some state? and I heard accident happen
    11-04-16 12:08 PM
    Give it another 5 years and we will see driverless cars making much of this argument moot.
    And I also guarantee that they will use "safety" as the excuse to get us out of our manually operated vehicles, that and they will increase the insurance rates so high that we will be forced out of them. Better be able to afford a brand new driverless car whether you want to buy one or not.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-04-16 at 12:20 PM.
    11-04-16 12:09 PM
    Technically Google has had driverless cars for years. The only accident reported with one was a woman in the US somewhere that was texting and plowed into one while it was at a red light, or so I was told.
    11-04-16 12:11 PM
    And I guarantee that they will use "safety" as the excuse to get us out of our manually operated vehicles, that and they will increase the insurance rates so high that we will be forced out of them. Better be able to afford a brand new driverless car whether you want to buy one of r not.
    Very possibly. I think I would actually welcome a driverless vehicle - I live in a remote area, 4 hours from an major centre, 12 hours from one child and 24 hours from a 2nd one. Having a vehicle that could do its own driving would be fabulous!
    11-04-16 12:20 PM
    Very possibly. I think I would actually welcome a driverless vehicle - I live in a remote area, 4 hours from an major centre, 12 hours from one child and 24 hours from a 2nd one. Having a vehicle that could do its own driving would be fabulous!
    Haha ok. For those of us that cannot ever sleep in a moving vehicle I think it won't be as fun. Still don't feel like I would trust it, somehow.

I'm thinking of the driverless cars in Jurassic Park, they got attacked by T-Rex's!
    11-04-16 12:23 PM
    Haha ok. For those of us that cannot ever sleep in a moving vehicle I think it won't be as fun. Still don't feel like I would trust it, somehow.

I'm thinking of the driverless cars in Jurassic Park, they got attacked by T-Rex's!
    No T-Rex's, our big concern is Moose - they can wreck your day in a HURRY.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-04-16 12:44 PM
    Those moose are a frigging mammoth beast. Never ever want to hit one of those. Would be a total mess. They are tall and come thru your windshield and kill ya. I wonder have a driverless car will handle stuff like that. I had a deer run out on me on the way to work. I seen it after it ran into the driver's front wheel area. Not sure a driverless unit would see it in time.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 04:37 PM
    Better talk to the car manufacturers, because that's how they make 'em. Lots of buttons and controls on the dash

The problem is why single out cellular use? EVERYTHING can be deemed a distraction. A blonde walking on the sidewalk in a mini skirt, those new LED billboards that are blinding at nighttime and have basically an action movie on them, someone honking their horn and you look around to see who is doing it, police or ambulance sirens.......see my point? We may as well just stay home if we do not know our own limitations or our own personal skills during driving, etc.

It is simply not fair to punish everyone for the stupidity of those that break the law. I see no difference between turning a radio knob or pressing the home button on my iPhone to answer a call if my phone is security mounted on my dash., and I can do it by feel, I do not have to take my eyes off the road. The real question is what will happen with Bluetooth now. EVERYTHING Is and can be labelled a distraction.

I will obey any new law that comes on January 1. Hopefully it will be reasonable.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit on this. Reaching over for a knob to turn up the radio doesn't require me to take my eyes off the road. My brain knows about where it is from experience and my hand can feel it. (Isn't this the PKB argument?). A touch screen for a modern radio requires looking at it and time for adjustment. I think the modern tech in vehicles us extremely dangerous. JMHO.
    11-04-16 05:09 PM
    You know that adaptive cruise control or whatever some cars have like those sensors now they will actually apply the brakes, I seen it on Dodge Challengers it's an option. I think eventually all cars are going to have that and wouldn't that virtually eliminate car accidents? I think it would help with frontal collisions. It actually applies the break if you're about to hit something like a brick wall or if you fall asleep or something.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-04-16 05:10 PM
    You know that adaptive cruise control or whatever some cars have like those sensors now they will actually apply the brakes, I seen it on Dodge Challengers it's an option. I think eventually all cars are going to have that and wouldn't that virtually eliminate car accidents? I think it would help with frontal collisions. It actually applies the break if you're about to hit something like a brick wall or if you fall asleep or something.
    Then we could all text on our phones! 😉
    11-04-16 05:13 PM
    Then we could all text on our phones!
    Hahaha good point!
    11-04-16 05:25 PM
    Unfortunately ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) only works when you are already in Cruise Control but it certainly helps to minimise accidents. I can't find the link to the research paper - but there was a big European study on it related to motorway driving, which reckons that ACC both:
    1. cuts down the incidence of motorway accidents (eg the car behind brakes much more quickly and therefore doesn't hit the car in front)
    2. reduces the severity of motorway accidents as the (relative) impact speed is reduced due to earlier braking

My (getting-on-a-bit) mother has Adaptive Cruise Control and it has kicked in a couple of times when she has been motorway driving - she admits that this has happened when someone has cut her up at high speed (eg I bet she was doing >80mph whilst hogging the middle lane - she is NOT a good motorway driver) - and I expect that ACC has also kicked in when she has not braked early enough when approaching a queue of slow/stationary traffic (but she is unlikely to admit this to me!).
    11-05-16 07:01 AM
    Unfortunately ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) only works when you are already in Cruise Control but it certainly helps to minimise accidents. I can't find the link to the research paper - but there was a big European study on it related to motorway driving, which reckons that ACC both:
    1. cuts down the incidence of motorway accidents (eg the car behind brakes much more quickly and therefore doesn't hit the car in front)
    2. reduces the severity of motorway accidents as the (relative) impact speed is reduced due to earlier braking

My (getting-on-a-bit) mother has Adaptive Cruise Control and it has kicked in a couple of times when she has been motorway driving - she admits that this has happened when someone has cut her up at high speed (eg I bet she was doing >80mph whilst hogging the middle lane - she is NOT a good motorway driver) - and I expect that ACC has also kicked in when she has not braked early enough when approaching a queue of slow/stationary traffic (but she is unlikely to admit this to me!).

Ah ok, I thought it was something that could be left on all the time. I guess I have some more reading to do.

The thing about laws is I hope they would be reversed if we ever are all eventually forced into automated cars.....once laws are there they usually stick.
    11-05-16 12:06 PM
    did I read that right???? No Bluetooth use in Saskatchewan???In Ontario, I've seen sign saying it's illegal to dial....What about changing radio station or heat while driving.....What about cops looking at their mounted computer while driving; is it ban to them?

May as well shut down the automobile industry and go back to horses and buggy

Stupid....
    I have talked to a couple of officers about this very subject. I was told that the law does exclude them. They are exempt from them, and can use their computer if needed while driving. Most places have seat belt laws, but they to are exempt by that. The different law enforcement departments might have different rules or standards, but state law, they are exempt.
    11-05-16 12:48 PM
    I have talked to a couple of officers about this very subject. I was told that the law does exclude them. They are exempt from them, and can use their computer if needed while driving. Most places have seat belt laws, but they to are exempt by that. The different law enforcement departments might have different rules or standards, but state law, they are exempt.
    Also as it is right now we can drive while using a cell phone if only calling 911. I'm sure this is something that would have to continue because an emergency is an emergency.
    11-05-16 08:46 PM
    Recently a police officer wrapped his police cruiser around a power pole while using his on board computer. My brother who is a police officer tells me there a been a few accidents like this which the police try to keep under wraps if possible because of the public reaction.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-16 12:19 PM
    doesn't matter if it is dangerous for us it is for them as well..

Recently a police officer wrapped his police cruiser around a power pole while using his on board computer. My brother who is a police officer tells me there a been a few accidents like this which the police try to keep under wraps if possible because of the public reaction.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't surprise me one bit
    11-06-16 04:38 PM
    Police are just humans to, they make mistakes like anyone and can be careless. I was watching videos of police chases on YouTube and there's a lot of police that roll their cars chasing a motorcycle or something and that's with 100% attention on the vehicle they're chasing.
    11-06-16 11:39 PM
    talking = distraction...
    When we still had registration stickers on the windscreen (in Queensland) a few years ago, I noticed one particular sticker saying: "Distracted drivers are dangerous".

Don't talk to them! ;-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-07-16 03:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wrapped? Under wraps?

Pun intended...? Anyway, good one! :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-07-16 03:21 AM
    When we still had registration stickers on the windscreen

"Windscreen?" Are YOU screening bugs through the windshield like the bug screen we put on our grilles?
    11-07-16 03:36 AM

Ah ok, I thought it was something that could be left on all the time. I guess I have some more reading to do.

The thing about laws is I hope they would be reversed if we ever are all eventually forced into automated cars.....once laws are there they usually stick.
    Apologies - you were correct in your original post (top - above).

Have just realised that my mother's car Golf SV (SV = Sports-Van, the new name for the Golf Plus) has this type of automatic braking function that can be turned on to work whether or not Cruise Control is activated.

Mother's car has just had a software update at the garage as part of an annual service, and the mechanics must have turned this function on as default, as the automatic emergency braking (and ABS! it was a damp-slidy-road) kicked in this evening when the car in front of her did an emergency stop.

Mother was definitely not using cruise control at the time (though was almost certainly driving at high speed round twisty country lanes.....).

This automatic braking function almost certainly prevented an accident (and mother thinks that the seatbelt also retracted, which means that the car sensors must have calculated that an impact was likely) and mothers' car finally halted only a metre or so behind the car in front....

Live and Learn! (Though unfortunately my looney-driver-mother will still continue to drive at high speeds round twisty country lanes in the wet....).
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 11-15-16 at 02:32 AM.
    11-13-16 08:11 PM
    Cool
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-14-16 07:36 PM
    Ok so I had to check the laws and what changes they have made and there is some good news.

Will still be able to have it dash mounted, one touch activation, but not if one is a new driver.....

Our Coming Cellular Laws in Sask.-img_1483908627.415184.jpg
    01-08-17 02:50 PM
    I thought we discussed this in November put it to bed already, life will go on in Sask, and the sun will rise get over it.

Brad Wall, for Prime Minister.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 05:51 PM
82 1234