It will be good when the weak link, humans can be removed from the equation.
    The problem is, and I will use drunk drivers as an example, they are never the ones usually hurt in an accident it's always the innocent people that get hurt, or so it seems.
    11-03-16 11:29 AM
    Distractions are not good..... I remember when I was a kid, many didn't think 8-Track players should be allowed in a car, as it distracted drivers trying to change the "track".
    Well, at least you were a KID when 8 tracks were popular: I was a teenager!

I still see 8 tracks showing up at garage sales - it's a blast trying to explain them to my grandsons (8, 10, 12 years old).
    Somehow, it's hard to convey to them that these used to be COOL.
    Especially if you had Fleetwood Mac's Rumors 8 track ... (which I never had, because I was a geek and never hit cool)
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and acovey like this.
    11-03-16 01:20 PM
    Well, at least you were a KID when 8 tracks were popular: I was a teenager!

I still see 8 tracks showing up at garage sales - it's a blast trying to explain them to my grandsons (8, 10, 12 years old).
    Somehow, it's hard to convey to them that these used to be COOL.
    Especially if you had Fleetwood Mac's Rumors 8 track ... (which I never had, because I was a geek and never hit cool)
    When I got to driving, the cool thing was to have a MIX cassette tape. Which thankfully was around long enough that my kids even used them for their Disney Story Books.... But my grandkids don't even know what a CD is, they are all digital (but only five years old).
    11-03-16 01:37 PM
    What gets my goat is people are OK with having people lose their license for a year if caught driving impaired and getting a federal charge on their record. Now that distracted driving kills more people then drunk driving they are all up in arms about the penalties.
    Maybe if people who cause an accident or are seen not having proper control of a vehicle should be treated the same. If your fiddling with stuff on your dash or in your lap and are not handling your vehicle properly you should be dealt with the same way. Impaired by a drug or your own stupidity should be dealt with the same way.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-03-16 01:49 PM
    What gets my goat is people are OK with having people lose their license for a year if caught driving impaired and getting a federal charge on their record. Now that distracted driving kills more people then drunk driving they are all up in arms about the penalties.
    Maybe if people who cause an accident or are seen not having proper control of a vehicle should be treated the same. If your fiddling with stuff on your dash or in your lap and are not handling your vehicle properly you should be dealt with the same way. Impaired by a drug or your own stupidity should be dealt with the same way.

Posted via CB10
    I hear your point - patience. I can remember during high school (late '70s) we used to view driving drunk as an inconvenience. It took a lot of years and unfortunately a lot of misery before attitudes society-wide changed.
    It will likely be similar with this - many people, especially the young'uns who have their entire lives revolving around their phones just don't realize how dangerous they are.

Plus which, many of these people we're dealing with are addictive people who have a tendency to not accept responsibility for their own actions.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-03-16 02:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Tell me about the digital revolution - I remember watching my youngest grand-daughter (3 at the time) swiping and flicking through her Mom's phone - she could even look up Barbie movies on YouTube.

I think the most extreme case is a co-worker whose 18 month old daughter potty trained herself by finding potty-training videos on YouTube!
    I kid you not, the kid found the videos herself!
    acovey likes this.
    11-03-16 02:22 PM
    With the computerisation of new cars it's very hard to get away with not having move from screen to screen on your dashboard to turn the heat up or down. There is no easy answer about what people do or want to do while driving their vehicles from clipping their toe nails to reading the news paper, having a cell phone just complicate things. Most people think that they can mulitetask the truth is they can't study after study has proven this.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 02:24 PM
    I am amazed at the potty training. Simply amazed.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 02:50 PM
    I am amazed at the potty training. Simply amazed.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sharp kid - her Dad is a real geek, very sharp fellow, the apple obviously didn't fall far from the tree.
    11-03-16 05:00 PM
    With the computerisation of new cars it's very hard to get away with not having move from screen to screen on your dashboard to turn the heat up or down. There is no easy answer about what people do or want to do while driving their vehicles from clipping their toe nails to reading the news paper, having a cell phone just complicate things. Most people think that they can mulitetask the truth is they can't study after study has proven this.

Posted via CB10
    We had an '09 GMC truck with old-fashioned knob controlled heater.

We bought a slightly fancier '13 with the dual zone climate control and your observation is SPOT ON. We often have to take our eyes off of the road because turning the fan up/down is only 1/2 an inch away from the temperature control - we still miss the old controls.
    11-03-16 05:02 PM
    We have had to replace my wife's window control motor 3 times in as many years drivers side on her vehicle. Long for the days when a crank window was the norm, never any problems.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 06:48 PM
    In the end, it is insurance companies that drive many of these laws in an effort to squeeze every penny out of their existing business model.

Still, it is up to voters to elect people who won't go along with this sort of thing.

Posted via CB10
    In the UK it is NOT the insurance companies driving this legislation - the driver is ROAD SAFETY.

I hope that in the near future, distracted driving because of using a mobile phone, will become as socially unacceptable as driving whilst intoxicated.

Two interesting recent articles in the UK:
    Thousands caught driving distracted twice over four years - Thousands caught driving distracted twice over four years - BBC News
    Lorry driver Tomasz Kroker jailed over four-death crash - Lorry driver Tomasz Kroker jailed over four-death crash - BBC News
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-03-16 07:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Better talk to the car manufacturers, because that's how they make 'em. Lots of buttons and controls on the dash

The problem is why single out cellular use? EVERYTHING can be deemed a distraction. A blonde walking on the sidewalk in a mini skirt, those new LED billboards that are blinding at nighttime and have basically an action movie on them, someone honking their horn and you look around to see who is doing it, police or ambulance sirens.......see my point? We may as well just stay home if we do not know our own limitations or our own personal skills during driving, etc.

It is simply not fair to punish everyone for the stupidity of those that break the law. I see no difference between turning a radio knob or pressing the home button on my iPhone to answer a call if my phone is security mounted on my dash., and I can do it by feel, I do not have to take my eyes off the road. The real question is what will happen with Bluetooth now. EVERYTHING Is and can be labelled a distraction.

I will obey any new law that comes on January 1. Hopefully it will be reasonable.
    11-03-16 08:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep.

A car is a two ton weapon. You shouldn't be able to have a weapon in a public place unless you are completely focussed on the use and control of that weapon - you can't be completely focussed if you are distracted by something else and/or not sober....

I have mobility issues (walking sticks user - hobble at a slow pace and am unable to leap out of the way of danger) and I drive a lot all over the UK - unfortunately this means that I am affected by a lot of distracted driving... motorway drivers with erratic speed and lane-changing (like last night) is a dead giveaway for mobile phone usage... nearly getting run over whilst trying to cross the main road opposite my home is often caused by drivers texting at the wheel (this happens every week - for some reason young women are the most common offenders for doing this).
    11-04-16 02:49 AM
    Yep.

A car is a two ton weapon. You shouldn't be able to have a weapon in a public place unless you are completely focussed on the use and control of that weapon - you can't be completely focussed if you are distracted by something else and/or not sober....

I have mobility issues (walking sticks user - hobble at a slow pace and am unable to leap out of the way of danger) and I drive a lot all over the UK - unfortunately this means that I am affected by a lot of distracted driving... motorway drivers with erratic speed and lane-changing (like last night) is a dead giveaway for mobile phone usage... nearly getting run over whilst trying to cross the main road opposite my home is often caused by drivers texting at the wheel (this happens every week - for some reason young women are the most common offenders for doing this).
    You are under the assumption the law is going to work. The laws we have now were also supposed to work and in some cases made it actually worse. Now drivers HIDE their devices much lower on their laps for fear of getting caught, so now the distance to look at the device from the road is FURTHER than it was before. The laws have failed, and you can rest assured that people will continue to break the laws, and any new laws passed.

Like any law, they are meant to be broken by people who THINK they will never be caught, and many never are.

We also got some new redlight camera lights in my city. "Safety" was the way they sold it to the public but everyone knows it was all to make revenue for the city. I read there were 4 states in the US that tried these lights and one state supposedly put back normal street lights. The reason: People were white-knuckle driving approaching these lights for fear of getting a fine that they would SLAM on the brakes if the light was yellow and causing the drivers behind them to rear-end collide into them.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    acovey likes this.
    11-04-16 03:09 AM
    The worst part with the red light cameras, some places shortened the yellow light to ramp up the money machine.
    If you rear end someone. You are following to close. It's that simple. Or you were not paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 08:40 AM
    I have blue tooth in my car but rarely use it, simply because I find myself being distracted by the conversation mostly business talk, and the need to take notes. Most times I let it go to VM then pull over. I have a colleague whose friend was on blue tooth because she was so engaged in the conversation rear ended another car at a intersection, no serious injury except to pride!!!!

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 and berrydroid like this.
    11-04-16 10:22 AM
    She is very lucky. The company I work for will not allow driver's to use Bluetooth or an device that will distract. If your caught you are fired.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 10:54 AM
    did I read that right???? No Bluetooth use in Saskatchewan???In Ontario, I've seen sign saying it's illegal to dial....What about changing radio station or heat while driving.....What about cops looking at their mounted computer while driving; is it ban to them?

May as well shut down the automobile industry and go back to horses and buggy

Stupid....
    Last edited by Alain_A; 11-04-16 at 12:00 PM.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-04-16 11:47 AM
    Go Riders!!!
    11-04-16 11:58 AM
    The worst part with the red light cameras, some places shortened the yellow light to ramp up the money machine.
    If you rear end someone. You are following to close. It's that simple. Or you were not paying attention.

Posted via CB10
    .....and that's exactly what happened in Saskatoon when they installed them. The lights on 8th (main drag) were shortened on yellow to only a few seconds. I remember reading in the Star Phoenix that the city made something like $250,000 in revenue during the first month of installation. People finally complained and they increased the time duration.

Forget Bluetooth, ever see 2 people in a car talking, I'm going to single out the female persuasion here, but they use their hands and gestures when they talk. I have seen people use both hands to gesture in the air, never mind not watching my car in front of them.

I think there can be worse things than cellular.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-04-16 at 12:21 PM.
    11-04-16 12:03 PM
    did I read that right???? No Bluetooth use in Saskatchewan???In Ontario, I've seen sign saying it's illegal to dial....What about changing radio station or heat while driving.....What about cops looking at their mounted computer while driving; is it ban to them?

Stupid....
    Give it another 5 years and we will see driverless cars making much of this argument moot.
    11-04-16 12:06 PM
    ever see 2 people in a car talking
    talking = distraction...
    11-04-16 12:06 PM

Stupid....
    And I guarantee if people can't use Bluetooth or at least dash mount their phones, there will be OTHER causes of accidents and other distractions for them while driving. The new laws are singling out one thing only. People don't seem to recognize that anything can be a distraction and there is no mandating for "stupid."

But if I can't at least dash mount then I believe the law goes too far.
    11-04-16 12:07 PM
    talking = distraction...
    Yup
    11-04-16 12:07 PM
82 1234