So starting on January 1, 2017, I probably won't even be able to mount my cellular phones on my dash of my vehicle. So much for using navigation, turn by turn directions, and what about simply pressing a button on the phone to connect it to your Bluetooth speaker?

It was interesting listening to the radio today because many people are upset they say it goes too far, many say it's welcome because people constantly are looking down at their cell phones usually at a red light and they're not supposed to. But I'm not sure what the differences between this or just turning your radio station dials? What about people that are eating when they're driving, and we're not even supposed to do that. And that I can fully understand. What about couriers and people who have to make deliveries for businesses etc.?

I guess my question with this law coming is are people really going to obey it? Because as we all know every time some people hear a ding of an electronic device they absolutely must know what that message is no matter what they're doing. I am not one of these people but I do like to have my phone mounted on my car dash and at least I can see who's calling. But I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this anymore. And I never hold my device to my head, it's a lie here to use headphones or a wireless Bluetooth speaker like I have, but this might have to end now.

What do you think of laws like this and does your state or province have something similar? Do you think it's effective at stopping people from using a cellular device while driving? Any thoughts?

I guess we will find out what exactly we can or cannot do around January 1.

"The province is changing the law to prohibit drivers from holding, viewing, using or manipulating a cellphone while driving."

Cellphone driving: Saskatchewan moves to fix loophole in law | Saskatoon StarPhoenix
    11-01-16 09:24 PM
    Finally, something Ontario isn't the worst at.

It’s against the law to use hand-held communication (e.g. your phone) and electronic entertainment devices (e.g. DVD player, e-reader) while driving.

In fact, simply holding a phone or other device while driving is against the law.

You can use:

a hands-free device (e.g. Bluetooth) but only to turn it on and off
    a mounted device (e.g. phone, GPS) as long as it is secure – not moving around while driving
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving
    11-01-16 09:30 PM
    Whoa, yeah this tops that. That makes sense I guess because supposedly they are also enacting TOUGH new drinking and driving rules because Saskatchewan has triple the rate of drinking and driving deaths here. And you should see those rules. My friend is convinced it's going to destroy bars, and they're going to lose all their business.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-01-16 at 09:49 PM.
    11-01-16 09:38 PM
    Oh well, at least we aren't New Jersey....

Wonder if this texting and walking law passed....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...to-make-it-so/
    11-01-16 09:47 PM
    Here in Alberta they have raised the fine plus 3 points on your licence if caught using a cell phone while driving. Everyday still see people doing it, myself I think confiscation of the cell phone when caught would be a bigger deterrent.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 09:22 AM
    Here in Alberta they have raised the fine plus 3 points on your licence if caught using a cell phone while driving. Everyday still see people doing it, myself I think confiscation of the cell phone when caught would be a bigger deterrent.

Posted via CB10
    I would agree I have no problem with those breaking the law that we see every day looking down on their laps, they should have it taken away but the problem is they never get caught. So it seems like the rest of us have to pay for these ones that do that. I think it's also about revenue.

We just don't know enough about it but it's pretty much like a total ban even using Bluetooth speakers, but I don't know yet I'll be curious to learn more details.

Edit: apparently a lot of people were fighting it in court saying they were holding their cells but not using them, so this new law is supposed to close that loophole. Because the cases were getting thrown out of court. Source:John Gormley radio show.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-02-16 at 12:00 PM.
    11-02-16 11:44 AM
    Nothing drives me more nuts than seeing someone talking or texting whilst driving. I commend the authorities. Driving is a task that should be taken seriously, one split second can mean a a life or death situation occurring. Full attention needs to be paid to the road. If you need to take or make a call pull aside in a safe area and do so.

Android BlackBerry
    TgeekB and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    11-02-16 12:50 PM
    I didn't read the details (lazy on my part), but as someone who has had to climb all over the breaks to avoid some ditz who turned onto a HIGHWAY ahead of me whilst yakking on her phone, I do NOT have a great deal of sympathy for people using phones while driving.

The whole distracted driving thing is a really tough topic: I know personally a kid who had an arm permanently messed up when the driver rolled the vehicle while changing radio stations.
    I used to have a satellite radio and ditched it partly due to cost, partly due to how hard it was to flip between stations. No easy answer.

Technically, in Alberta you can be fined for drinking coffee while driving. I'd be in big trouble if I lived there.
    BigAl_BB9900 and acovey like this.
    11-02-16 01:39 PM
    I believe if you are caught texting and driving it should not be a fine or demerits points. Should be a 24 hour suspension of vehicle and phone. Vehicle towed to impound at your cost plus storage. Phone to be held at same storage place with a storage charge. There are more deaths from texting and driving then drinking and driving.

I believe if you are caught talking on your phone not using blue tooth the phone should be confiscated for 24 hrs.

If you are in an at fault accident and you were texting 1 year ban on driving 90 days phone. If caught owning and using a mobile phone in those 90 days a $2500 fine. Talking on phone non hands free 6 months driving ban and 30 days without a phone. If you are in an at fault while on Bluetooth you should be loose phone for 30 days.

The amount of death and injury out on the roads due to people using phones is staggering.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 and acovey like this.
    11-02-16 02:32 PM
    I use the phone navigation often on my car with my phone mounted on the dash. The Sask law seems very stupid.

They could enforce people to mount their phones higher up on the dashboard, but make it illegal to have the phone mount by the cup holders or anywhere lower than the dashboard.

I never engage with the phone when I am actually driving. I just use the voice command which is safer.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-16 03:00 PM
    In the end, it is insurance companies that drive many of these laws in an effort to squeeze every penny out of their existing business model.

Still, it is up to voters to elect people who won't go along with this sort of thing.

Posted via CB10
    Menage likes this.
    11-02-16 04:05 PM

Technically, in Alberta you can be fined for drinking coffee while driving. I'd be in big trouble if I lived there.
    Yup same in Sask right now we are not allowed to eat or drink but everyday I drive by the McDonalds and everyone is taking a big bite out of that McChicken as they pull onto the main drag.

I guess they will probably have to include cigarettes and smoking into the mix too, since that is what is eventually happening. ANY distraction will be included soon I will bet. I see mothers turning right around in the driver's seat tending to a child in the child seat strapped onto the back seat all the time. what about that?

I mean, anything can be labelled a "distraction" even listening to music and bopping their heads or singing along to the music.

I am not disagreeing with you, just drawing some comparisons....

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-02-16 04:59 PM
    I use the phone navigation often on my car with my phone mounted on the dash. The Sask law seems very stupid.

I never engage with the phone when I am actually driving. I just use the voice command which is safer.

Posted via CB10
    And this is why I am wondering if they will include the visor mount bluetooth speaker I have and I use it while the cell is in my front or cargo pants pocket.

We just don't know yet.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-02-16 05:02 PM
    In the end, it is insurance companies that drive many of these laws in an effort to squeeze every penny out of their existing business model.

Still, it is up to voters to elect people who won't go along with this sort of thing.

Posted via CB10
    Well we sure never saw this coming when we elected Brad Wall but he was probably under pressure for some years to do something (even before he was in power) because Saskatchewan has the highest fatalities in all of Canada, supposedly.

11-02-16 05:06 PM
    I have seen 2 of my daughters friends berries due to testing while driving. Till they make the result of use more painful then the addiction this will continue. None of these users want to loose their phone so part of the punishment must be the loss of the phone. I don't think you would even need to fine someone.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 01:56 AM
    I have seen 2 of my daughters friends berries due to testing while driving. Till they make the result of use more painful then the addiction this will continue. None of these users want to loose their phone so part of the punishment must be the loss of the phone. I don't think you would even need to fine someone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think anyone here is condoning texting while driving. But if people are using proper dashboard mount on their phones to use the navigation app (set before the start of a drive) and voice dictation to make calls or texts, it should be allowed.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 05:38 AM
    Tell the parents of the kid that was ran over in the mall parking lot that it is OK to play with the equipment attached to or part of the dash. Read the other day a person had just started to pull out of a parking lot and went to pick there next destination on their GPS and set the view when they clipped a kid standing beside a vehicle parked on the side of the road. I don't think any gadget that can take your eyes off the road is a good idea. Once a vehicle is in drive the devices that the driver can access should be locked. Yes this includes the radio.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-03-16 08:00 AM
    On a less intense note, I had hopped in my truck to go out last night just moments after my sister-in-law called my wife on her cell.
    Our truck has our phones bluetoothed to the radio, using GM's OnStar feature.

I started up the truck and it GRABBED THE CALL - stole it RIGHT OFF of the wife's phone!
    So, I had to run back inside, explain what happened and leave so she could call back!
    11-03-16 08:27 AM
    I don't think anyone here is condoning texting while driving. But if people are using proper dashboard mount on their phones to use the navigation app (set before the start of a drive) and voice dictation to make calls or texts, it should be allowed.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, this is how I see it. It's like these new laws are not even trusting us to have a dash mounted device. I mean if they don't trust anyone to turn a radio knob they may as well ban cars too because people die in them.

And what about pets being a distraction. How many times do we see a little dog right behind the steering wheel standing on someone's lap or looking out the drivers window sitting right on the drivers knee. Can't this be considered a distraction too?

Where does it end?
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-03-16 at 11:12 AM.
    11-03-16 10:45 AM
    Once a vehicle is in drive the devices that the driver can access should be locked. Yes this includes the radio.

Posted via CB10
    What about the heater? It gets pretty cold in Saskatchewan in the winter time ;-). I guess one could turn the heater on before they start driving. Vehicles do have a lot of buttons on the dash, I mean what are we supposed to do. Even when people walk playing Pok�mon go they walk into rivers and walk into streetlamps. This sort of speaks more to the human condition of stupidity rather than anything else, but should everyone's freedoms be limited by the few who cannot walk and chew gum at the same time?

This is a very tricky area.
    11-03-16 10:51 AM
    When I drive I see a difference between older people and younger people. I see elderly or seniors driving TOO slow being overly cautious even though they're not physically able to perhaps shoulder check etc. Compare this to younger drivers who are more than physically able to shoulder check or react quicker, they might be more in a rush or the ones to text more. So perhaps the younger people that are able to, are not paying as much attention. So which is the safer approach?

Of course I know there are older drivers who are able to react quick and shoulder check etc. There are also younger drivers that might be overly cautious, I'm trying not to generalize but this is just what I have noticed overall.
    11-03-16 10:56 AM
    On a less intense note, I had hopped in my truck to go out last night just moments after my sister-in-law called my wife on her cell.
    Our truck has our phones bluetoothed to the radio, using GM's OnStar feature.

I started up the truck and it GRABBED THE CALL - stole it RIGHT OFF of the wife's phone!
    So, I had to run back inside, explain what happened and leave so she could call back!
    LOL I have a BlackBerry visor mount Bluetooth speaker in my car and everywhere I go if I don't walk far enough from the car it won't disconnect. The problem is I leave my car and forget to physically turn it off. So when I'm in someplace or whatever I can see the call on my phone but I cannot answer it. So the only thing I can do is turn the Bluetooth off on the phone until I'm at my car again LOL. I need more control.
    11-03-16 11:06 AM
    Its easier to ignore a call if you have both hands on the wheel. I sometimes commute to work by bike and nothing's scarier than seeing a driver focusing on their phone. We forget how dangerous driving can be. If you like to take your eyes off the road to read maps, directions, texts etc. I just pray its not when you're driving past me.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-16 11:12 AM
    Distractions are not good..... I remember when I was a kid, many didn't think 8-Track players should be allowed in a car, as it distracted drivers trying to change the "track".

It will be good when the weak link, humans can be removed from the equation.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    11-03-16 11:15 AM
    Its easier to ignore a call if you have both hands on the wheel. I sometimes commute to work by bike and nothing's scarier than seeing a driver focusing on their phone. We forget how dangerous driving can be. If you like to take your eyes off the road to read maps, directions, texts etc. I just pray its not when you're driving past me.

Posted via CB10
    And there are always those people that simply can't seem to wait until they're home or parked before they check that message. They hear the phone ding and they just absolutely have to check it, even at a stoplight. These are the people I worry about.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-03-16 11:25 AM
82 123 ...