I am surprised how much little profits Amazon and Netflix make when compared to RIM. Their profits are paltry in the range of $60 million this quarter while RIM has been raking in approx $3 billion profits/year. This week both NFLX and AMZN announced their quarterly earnings and fell short of expectations and their stock was butchered.

I don't understand the stock market how can one company is trading at 100 x profits/share while other is trading at 4 x profits/share.

AMZN: Summary for Amazon.com, Inc.- Yahoo! Finance

NFLX: Summary for Netflix, Inc.- Yahoo! Finance
    10-25-11 04:02 PM
    1) stock market makes no sense
    2) Netflix f'd up, real bad, which is kinda different than Amazon just not meeting expectations.
    menaknow likes this.
    10-25-11 04:06 PM
    yeah we knew netflix was coming for a couple months now. Amazon im not sure about. have to look into that a little more
    10-25-11 04:11 PM
    1) stock market makes no sense
    2) Netflix f'd up, real bad, which is kinda different than Amazon just not meeting expectations.
    Yes I agree with NFLX, they f'd real bad, their stock was trading at $304.79 like 3 months ago, no body could have done that worse..but it is an opportunity for prospective buyers if it goes below $50 range.

Kindle Fire is a make or break thing for AMZN, AMZN might already be selling it at a loss and not sure how much is it going to recover from the content sales after paying back to the content owners, also another factor involved is the Android hackery to bypass Amazon altogether. Also CA (California) will start charging sales tax for the purchases made through amazon.com from next year and that is going to cannibalize a lot of sales.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 10-25-11 at 04:18 PM.
    10-25-11 04:15 PM
    At $199 I guarantee they are selling it at a loss, as they often do to undercut others.

The sales tax won't cannibalize sales because ALL online retailers will be hit just the same. Amazon will still undercut the other stores and offer their used marketplace sales with lower prices and simpler selling processes compared to ebay.
    10-25-11 04:20 PM
    I cant see NETFLIX staying down. There are really few options. THeir streaming has got so much better in recent weeks. True, they still dont have first run moives but things for my and my age range seem really good. THey just added the Wonder Years, they have all 7 season of the office, and some of the movies they added are pretty good too. I will grant you that it is kind of older stuff, but I cant watch everything I have in my Queue right now.

People will come back.
    10-25-11 04:42 PM
    I wont be coming back. I havent missed it one bit in the last month. I have hulu plus and it satisfies my needs just fine. I think many people are the same
    10-25-11 04:52 PM
    I will stay away as long as possible. I miss netflix and honestly Hulu is okay.... but it's lame.

I shouldn't have to watch advertisements for a service that I pay for.
    Jake Storm and i7guy like this.
    10-25-11 05:09 PM
    Damn, you beat me to it OP. GJ RIM SCREW YOU AMAZON. SCREWWWW YOUUUUU.
    10-25-11 05:36 PM
    I cant see NETFLIX staying down. There are really few options. THeir streaming has got so much better in recent weeks.
    Not really... Their streaming still has the exact same problem it's had for the last year+ and now you don't have the dvd service to supplement it unless you want to pay more (which obviously a lot don't).
    10-25-11 05:38 PM
    Think that Amazon is going to be just fine...
    Wife got a Kindle, and has done more reading and purchases than she had in the ten years before the Kindle. With Amazon having other content (music, movies, TV...) for the FIRE, I bet that they will make back their "investment" (selling it below cost) in just a few months.
    Once a users has built up a library of "content", it will be hard for them to give up that library to try another device. Glad RIM is doing the same thing and locking users into the BBCLOUD with all the great "content" that you can purchase there.
    10-26-11 10:29 AM
    I cant see NETFLIX staying down. There are really few options. THeir streaming has got so much better in recent weeks. True, they still dont have first run moives but things for my and my age range seem really good. THey just added the Wonder Years, they have all 7 season of the office, and some of the movies they added are pretty good too. I will grant you that it is kind of older stuff, but I cant watch everything I have in my Queue right now.

People will come back.
    wait what?! and people say BB fans are crazy, netflix have stated their next year will pretty much all be run at a LOSS. they are saying they wont make any money in a year and ya think they`ll come back up? dont see that myself
    howarmat and Jake Storm like this.
    10-26-11 10:39 AM
    But the market is rational and self-regulating. Isn't it?
    kb5zht likes this.
    10-26-11 10:48 AM
    Yeah, I think Amazon will be fine. Netflix? I don't know.
    10-26-11 10:56 AM
    I wont be coming back. I havent missed it one bit in the last month. I have hulu plus and it satisfies my needs just fine. I think many people are the same
    I would say Hulu + Netflix is the best combo. Since Hulu doesn't do movies like Netflix, it's not easy for a lot of people to abandon netflix for Hulu. Many of the streaming media devices carry both but there are a lot that only carry netflix and if you bought one of these device specifically for netflix, not that easy to just give it up.

I think I am like most people, I quickly dropped the DVD service because of the price hike but I still have the streaming service. I rather have movies than TV shows because I DVR everything I need anyway so doesn't make since for me to pay for TV I already pay for. Netflix needs to add more of the DVD movies to the streaming service and offer people a longer time for free. That would get some interest back. Their worst nightmare would be if a Tech Giant like Microsoft, Apple or Google bought Hulu. Then it would be over for Netflix in a few years.
    10-26-11 12:33 PM
    Okay, I'm obviously missing something because I see no point whatsoever in comparing Netflix to RIM, unless you're simply pointing out that they both have incompetent CEOs.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-26-11 12:37 PM
    I would say Hulu + Netflix is the best combo. Since Hulu doesn't do movies like Netflix, it's not easy for a lot of people to abandon netflix for Hulu. Many of the streaming media devices carry both but there are a lot that only carry netflix and if you bought one of these device specifically for netflix, not that easy to just give it up.

I think I am like most people, I quickly dropped the DVD service because of the price hike but I still have the streaming service. I rather have movies than TV shows because I DVR everything I need anyway so doesn't make since for me to pay for TV I already pay for. Netflix needs to add more of the DVD movies to the streaming service and offer people a longer time for free. That would get some interest back. Their worst nightmare would be if a Tech Giant like Microsoft, Apple or Google bought Hulu. Then it would be over for Netflix in a few years.
    i agree for most the movies are not an issue. I cant say i have problems aquirring movies but that is just me lol
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    10-26-11 12:49 PM
    Think that Amazon is going to be just fine...
    Wife got a Kindle, and has done more reading and purchases than she had in the ten years before the Kindle. With Amazon having other content (music, movies, TV...) for the FIRE, I bet that they will make back their "investment" (selling it below cost) in just a few months.
    Once a users has built up a library of "content", it will be hard for them to give up that library to try another device. Glad RIM is doing the same thing and locking users into the BBCLOUD with all the great "content" that you can purchase there.
    We only use netflix, don't use amazon or itunes. Not paying for multiple services and want device independence.
    10-26-11 12:53 PM
    Okay, I'm obviously missing something because I see no point whatsoever in comparing Netflix to RIM, unless you're simply pointing out that they both have incompetent CEOs.
    I think it just makes people feel better or some sense of justification when other big companies either start failing or lose money. I don't get it either. But it's the "we're not the only ones" or "at least we are doing better than...." syndrome.
    10-26-11 02:31 PM
    At $199 I guarantee they are selling it at a loss, as they often do to undercut others.
    Given that a number of other companies are able to sell tablets at that price point without the massive economies of scale that amazon will have, your guarantee seems far too definite.

Their margins on the Fire will be very low just like they are on everything else, but that's not the same as taking a loss.
    10-26-11 02:49 PM

People will come back.
    I just reupped my NFLX a few days ago and I'm really impressed. I have a slow(.6mbps) wifi in my apartment and I'm watching The X Files in streaming DVD quality right now. Their library is great-every episode of Battlestar Galactica, TXFiles, all the Star Treks, plus Canadian shows like Intelligence and Da Vinci's inquest, BBC stuff like Luther, and a great movie selection. Well worth 8 bucks a month.
    10-26-11 03:02 PM
    The stock market is like a rollercoaster, it's bound to fall and climb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 03:02 PM
    I just reupped my NFLX a few days ago and I'm really impressed. I have a slow(.6mbps) wifi in my apartment and I'm watching The X Files in streaming DVD quality right now. Their library is great-every episode of Battlestar Galactica, TXFiles, all the Star Treks, plus Canadian shows like Intelligence and Da Vinci's inquest, BBC stuff like Luther, and a great movie selection. Well worth 8 bucks a month.
    One news report stated the many people are looking a ways to cut their monthly bills, and that Netflix is one of those items it is easy to do without.

If $8 dollars a month is a deal breaker, wonder how important a $30+ a month Data plan really is, especially for a family that might have 3 or 4 of them.
    10-26-11 04:57 PM
    One news report stated the many people are looking a ways to cut their monthly bills, and that Netflix is one of those items it is easy to do without.

If $8 dollars a month is a deal breaker, wonder how important a $30+ a month Data plan really is, especially for a family that might have 3 or 4 of them.
    Good point. NFLX content may not be first run (though I believe they have the rights to air first run TV from at least one network) but it is certainly premium. The kind of stuff they have is the kind of stuff I pay for on iTunes, they even have stuff I couldn't find on iTunes.

So two iTunes movie rentals would equal the cost of one month of NFLX, total bargain.
    10-26-11 07:58 PM
    Amazon is fine. Bezos has said all along that he's less interested in short term profit and more interested in investing for the long term future of the company. Look at some of the reports that go into more depth.
    10-26-11 08:28 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD