wait, im confused. so hspa+ 42 is a 4g technology?
    after a technicality; it is near 4G speeds.
    08-17-10 03:31 PM
    after a technicality; it is near 4G speeds.
    Keep in mind that Technically neither WiMax or LTE is actually 4G. As I understand it HSPA is like 3.5, and WiMax is like 3.7 and LTE is like 3.9.

Don't quote me on that though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-10 04:20 PM
    Odds are these are both CDMA - for Verizon & Sprint.

A while back it was stated somewhere that one of the first LTE handsets for Verizon would be a BlackBerry, so its possible one of these is destined for Verizon's LTE network this winter.

Since Verizon & Sprint each use different 4G Technologies, it makes sense that there would in fact be two different 4G BlackBerry sliders - one for each carrier.

AT&T would not see either, as their 4G network is not supposed to be active for a while.

I'm not saying these photos are definitely real - but i'm saying it's feasible that they are in fact legitimate.
    And the xx50 model number is for CDMA with Wifi ex the Storm 2 is 9550.

The xx90 could be 4G

... so this could be a Torch for VZW on 3G and one for Sprint on WiMax.

Who really knows?

Last edited by The_Engine; 08-17-10 at 04:32 PM.
    08-17-10 04:28 PM
    I WAS hoping that they would use the Rxxx designation gor 4G (eg: 8100->9100 8300->9300 )...
    08-17-10 04:52 PM
    Keep in mind that Technically neither WiMax or LTE is actually 4G. As I understand it HSPA is like 3.5, and WiMax is like 3.7 and LTE is like 3.9.

Don't quote me on that though.

You would be correct on that.
    08-17-10 05:48 PM
    And I will go on record now as saying that if RIM puts out a cdma torch running the 528 mhz chip of the S1/S2 than every RIM engineer and exec should rounded up and shot. However if they want the same device to support VZW and Sprint and support WiMax, we may actually see a snapdragon. Or something similar, even if under clocked. I doubt it.

08-17-10 06:20 PM
    My understanding is that since RIM uses a different chip for CDMA and since LTE will require more power, is it safe to assume that RIM will have no other choice but to go with at 1Ghz Snapdragon since it is from their manufacturer of choice?
    08-17-10 06:38 PM
    My understanding is that since RIM uses a different chip for CDMA and since LTE will require more power, is it safe to assume that RIM will have no other choice but to go with at 1Ghz Snapdragon since it is from their manufacturer of choice?
    Apparently the only CDMA chips come from Qualcomm. Whatever chips sprint or VZW uses for 4G they have to also support their 3G networks. Ergo for any 4g device for Sprint or VZW you are looking at a Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset. Google "Qualcomm LTE chips" and you can check them out.

08-17-10 06:48 PM
    That's what I thought. I'm not as familiar with CDMA technology as I am with GSM so I thought I had read that, but knew that a fellow Crackberry member would know for sure.
    08-17-10 07:03 PM
    Yeah someone gave a good explanation on one of these theads. Qualcomm invented CDMA and the chips have the radio integrated. So you pretty much need a QC chipset for CDMA.

On a side note I have been wondering if the S2 refresh requires a new chip for the Wifi hot spot feature. I don't know if the S2 chip has Wifi broadcast capabilities. No one has answered that one yet.

08-17-10 07:09 PM

08-17-10 07:09 PM
    Yeah someone gave a good explanation on one of these theads. Qualcomm invented CDMA and the chips have the radio integrated. So you pretty much need a QC chipset for CDMA.

On a side note I have been wondering if the S2 refresh requires a new chip for the Wifi hot spot feature. I don't know if the S2 chip has Wifi broadcast capabilities. No one has answered that one yet.

I'd have to say, from an educated guess, that yes it would since essentially you would be using your phone as a wireless modem to send and receive signals.
    08-17-10 08:02 PM
    The time line is already been stated CX said who is very reliable I don't think I need to say more about that
    He says one or two refreshes then NEXT GENERATION devices
    And he has said the standard and rim knows it is 1 ghz. And all the other fun stuff so refresh I'm guessing 9780 and 9570 then once those drop witch it looks with in a couple of month before november I would guess the good stuff should start coming early next year
    If you have been listening to kevin he has left little hints hear and there about the real revolutionary devices in 2011 and 2012 to some it all up
    08-18-10 04:59 AM
    The time line is already been stated CX said who is very reliable I don't think I need to say more about that
    And he has said the standard and rim knows it is 1 ghz. And all the other fun stuff so refresh I'm guessing 9780 and 9570 then once those drop witch it looks with in a couple of month before november I would guess the good stuff should start coming early next year
    If you have been listening to kevin he has left little hints hear and there about the real revolutionary devices in 2011 and 2012 to some it all up
    that is 1 to 2 years away. that's a long time for rim to get their act together.
    08-19-10 01:25 AM
    It starts with in about six months actual if they do release a tablet it could start in a couple months that might be the reason for the refreshes because the so called blackpad first to start there next generation devices witch from what we hear november that's not far
    08-19-10 04:54 AM
    The standard now maybe 1ghz, but by the time these devices are actually released it will no longer be current generation. Frankly, the same thing was said last year about things coming up that would "blow us all away" and would "change everything". I'll believe it when I see it, but I have a sinking feeling we are not going to see anything to wow us. The only thing that has been blown away are customers...in droves.

08-19-10 08:44 AM
    The only thing that has been blown away are customers...in droves.

HA! good one.

yah, everyone said os 6 was going to blow us away. im not holding my breath for rim. it could take years for them to release the new os. no joke.

btw, everyones all excited about the new company that rim bought and will use to build for the os. ppl say that its the same os that beamers use. thats not a good thing. anyone who has used a beamer knows that they have a lot of electrical problems, whether it be hardware or software. thats not a good thing for rim cuz i can see them wasting tons of time failing to optimize the new os when other companies have not exactly succeeded.
    08-20-10 01:59 AM
    When you say "beamer" i'm assuming you mean BMW? I'm on my 4th over a span of 10 years and haven't had any electrical problems.
    08-20-10 08:02 AM
    HA! good one.

yah, everyone said os 6 was going to blow us away. im not holding my breath for rim. it could take years for them to release the new os. no joke.

btw, everyones all excited about the new company that rim bought and will use to build for the os. ppl say that its the same os that beamers use. thats not a good thing. anyone who has used a beamer knows that they have a lot of electrical problems, whether it be hardware or software. thats not a good thing for rim cuz i can see them wasting tons of time failing to optimize the new os when other companies have not exactly succeeded.
    QNX OS/software is used on BMWs, Porsches, Caterpillers and one US un-manned military vehicle. The "electrical problems" you refer to, if they exist, are because of the car, not because of QNX software. QNX software works perfectly fine in the above products.
    08-20-10 08:52 AM
    bmw is known to have a lot of electrical/software problems. beamers and german engineering is not known for their electronics.
    08-23-10 01:36 AM
    Hopefully they will be 3G CMDA, 4G capable, and have the GSM world phone capabilities as an alternative to the Tour/CMDA Bold. But that would be a lot of radios to fit into a single device with the WiFi also, so who knows if this is even feasible.
    08-23-10 08:18 AM
    Hopefully they will be 3G CMDA, 4G capable, and have the GSM world phone capabilities as an alternative to the Tour/CMDA Bold. But that would be a lot of radios to fit into a single device with the WiFi also, so who knows if this is even feasible.
    This is why a 4G bold should look like the Bold 9000. it has plenty of room for all of these new chips.
    08-23-10 03:10 PM
    This is why a 4G bold should look like the Bold 9000. it has plenty of room for all of these new chips.
    would be nice to see that form factor back, but i wouldnt hold my breath.
    09-23-10 01:17 AM
    would be nice to see that form factor back, but i wouldnt hold my breath.
    I agree. But it's nice to dream though.

09-24-10 10:56 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD