Lol FM radio.

Listening to the same garbage stations with the same track rotation, filled with ads.....

Glad I switched to Satellite Radio in my car and unlimited data on my phone for streaming Sirius or Google Play Music
    07-10-19 05:45 PM
    I listen to public radio and the local college station playing all kinds of new stuff you'd never hear on commercial radio on my FM. No ads, and, for the college station, never the same song twice in a whole week.
    Invictus0 and ppeters914 like this.
    07-10-19 08:08 PM
    I have an old cheap HTC that has a great fm radio that also allows record fm to save files to a 32 gig SD. I use this as my "ipod"
    Bb10 Z30 had fm but would not work if no cell coverage was avaiable which was very annoying. Also no record fm function
    Last edited by Terry Zanger; 07-14-19 at 08:32 AM.
    07-10-19 08:33 PM
    I listen to public radio and the local college station playing all kinds of new stuff you'd never hear on commercial radio on my FM. No ads, and, for the college station, never the same song twice in a whole week.
    This^

We have 4 excellent FM public radio stations in my community, plus another for local sports teams. I can't even stream my local MLB teams due to blackout restrictions, but I can listen live with my KEYone radio.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-11-19 06:49 AM
    Lol FM radio.

Listening to the same garbage stations with the same track rotation, filled with ads.....

Glad I switched to Satellite Radio in my car and unlimited data on my phone for streaming Sirius or Google Play Music
    Really? Most streaming apps like Tune in just give you assess to otherwise free fm signals from away locations. Any map of cell phone coverage will show you that your preferred way of accessing radio (with data connection) is unavailable in very little of planet earth
    07-14-19 08:36 AM
    FM signal simply modulated the information into its frequency (phase/period), while most space losses and noises attack a signal through its amplitude, that’s why most fm radios have better sound compared to AM. But that doesn’t mean fm is a robust method to counter losses or noises. If the radio station has digital version of the stream, I will rather stream it through digital channel (internet) instead..
    07-14-19 08:52 AM
    FM signal simply modulated the information into its frequency (phase/period), while most space losses and noises attack a signal through its amplitude, that’s why most fm radios have better sound compared to AM. But that doesn’t mean fm is a robust method to counter losses or noises. If the radio station has digital version of the stream, I will rather stream it through digital channel (internet) instead..
    Certainly a high-resolution digital stream SHOULD sound better than FM, assuming the Digital-Analogue conversion is good enough. But I've heard many low res MP3 files that sound a lot worse than FM on a phone.

chain13 likes this.
    07-14-19 02:31 PM
    Certainly a high-resolution digital stream SHOULD sound better than FM, assuming the Digital-Analogue conversion is good enough. But I've heard many low res MP3 files that sound a lot worse than FM on a phone.

Yeah, Most radio stations these days already have good adc hardware, at least they should have. The plus side of digital transmission is each digitalized analog data bits that get loss while in transmission will be checked and corrected by CRC like algorithm, so the data received by the receiver is in complete condition (means better sound with no data or signal lost), but the downside since it's streamed through internet, it demands more to your data plan, in case you listen to radio for hours long. That's why some radio station/receiver or specific use case (like orari and nano satelite or local radio maybe) still use radio analog for its low cost and simplicity.
    Last edited by chain13; 07-15-19 at 01:33 AM.
    07-14-19 11:34 PM
    Yeah, Most radio stations these days already have good adc hardware, at least they should have. The plus side of digital transmission is each digitalized analog data bits that get loss while in transmission will be checked and corrected by CRC like algorithm, so the data received by the receiver is in complete condition (means better sound with no data or signal lost), but the downside since it's streamed through internet, it demands more to your data plan, in case you listen to radio for hours long. That's why some radio station/receiver or specific use case (like orari and nano satelite or local radio maybe) still use radio analog for its low cost and simplicity.
    It also really depends on where one lives. I live in an area where I receive strong broadcast signals from lots of great FM stations. But I've lived places where radio reception was inconsistent, in which case a digital stream would be necessary.

chain13 likes this.
    07-15-19 07:52 PM
    FM is enabled on my LG G7 and my wife's LG V30.
    07-15-19 08:22 PM
35 12