I AM getting a new Storm/Monaco/Touch... What worries me is OS7. Not with the OS its self, I hear it's outstanding! Will it be upgrade able(?) to OS8, or will I be spending more jing to buy the new new 2012(?) QNX Storm/Monaco/Touch Thanks to all...
    05-12-11 01:18 PM
    All indications is that the phones that are coming out with OS7 will NOT be able to run QNX (OS8?). QNX requires a dual processor which these phones do not have.
    05-12-11 01:21 PM
    I AM getting a new Storm/Monaco/Touch... What worries me is OS7. Not with the OS its self, I hear it's outstanding! Will it be upgrade able(?) to OS8, or will I be spending more jing to buy the new new 2012(?) QNX Storm/Monaco/Touch Thanks to all...
    I personally believe that they will be able to run QNX on these new devices. Though they may not be able to utilize the same level of multi-tasking that the playbook puts out. You have to remember that RIM is using a 2nd gen SnapDragon processor which are high performers, not some low level trash Marvell chip.
    05-12-11 01:22 PM
    All indications is that the phones that are coming out with OS7 will NOT be able to run QNX (OS8?). QNX requires a dual processor which these phones do not have.
    Not entirely true. It's just the current implementation of the kernel RIM is using. QNX supports SMP but doesn't require it. It's not difficult to build a QNX kernel without SMP. Even then, SMP support could still be in the kernel but wouldn't use it if the hardware doesn't support it (though that would be a waste of space/resources).
    Last edited by rmjones101; 05-12-11 at 01:28 PM.
    05-12-11 01:25 PM
    After reading what Kevin wrote a few days ago about the QNX running other OS environments, I'm fairly certain that they are going to make a way to get QNX out to most of the phones one way or another. They way they are moving is to have the QNX in the background, while a smaller OS is then Open and Operated in it's own Environment.

The fact that QNX has the capability to multitask in this fashion means they have more wiggle room than originally thought. Which is very exciting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 03:00 PM
    Even if they could be upgraded to QNX, I doubt very seriously that RIM will take the time, money and effort to adapt it's QNX software to do so.

They make money by selling hardware and I am betting that all of their QNX phones will be born as a QNX phone and not updated to QNX.
    05-13-11 08:21 AM
    Other than apps...what exactly is QNX gonna provide that the new OS7 will not?
    05-13-11 08:41 AM
    I wonder if RIM's stop gap phones will be upgradeable to the new QNX OS that RIM is putting out.

Does anyone know?
    05-13-11 08:55 AM
    My feeling about the OP's question is this.....

I have a 9650 Bold. I have my last NE2 on VZW that expires in November. I might as well use that on the 9930, which will be a nice phone. And the QNX phones....once they have been out for a while, and updated to rev 2, if you will, with all of the kinks out...I will THEN be ready for my next upgrade 2 years out....
    05-13-11 09:12 AM
    Beyond the older devices, there is also the 2012 model curves to consider, the odds are that those won't be dualcore which would seem to require a single core qnx os to show up at some point.
    05-13-11 11:18 AM
    I don't know, but everybody says they have to do it, so I guess they damn well better bring it on, or some people here are gonna be mad.

I wonder if RIM's stop gap phones will be upgradeable to the new QNX OS that RIM is putting out.

Does anyone know?
    Everything I've read here and elsewhere strongly suggests definitely probably not beyond the realm of possibility although otherwise and heretofore ostensibly viable technically but realistically not highly likely.

That's my somewhat indirect response to perceived sarcasm with a relative ANFW.
    05-13-11 01:16 PM
    ... Everything I've read here and elsewhere strongly suggests definitely probably not beyond the realm of possibility although otherwise and heretofore ostensibly viable technically but realistically not highly likely. ...
    Well said! <g> You, sir, could be an excellent candidate for a RIM co-CEO!

- R.
    05-13-11 01:28 PM
    OK - this has been discussed ad naseum, but to re-iterate

RIM has been programming the OS in a Java environment. One that was built entirely for secure delivery of textual messages. It is by far the oldest OS on the market. And it shows. User Interface, applications, and media were not considered when constructing the environment and have had to be shoe horned in. In some cases successfully, in most cases not. The enviroment is difficult to program for, not very powerful and limited in scope. It has also limited the use of hardware considerably.

QNX is very new and very powerful and built from the ground up to be highly adaptable to various applications, security and highly user friendly.

I'm dumbing this down here, but Java is linear. That is, its programming is line dependent. If it doesn't get what its suppossed to, the WHOLE SYSTEM HANGS or crashes. An error from a single poorly coded section of one application will bring the whole device down, requiring or automatically performing a hard reset. QNX is cylindrical (sp. sorry). Like spokes on a wheel, knock one out and the wheel still turns, Short story, QNX will bring a level of stability to that BBs have not known since they were dual line pagers! Everything from installing and updating applications can be done without re-starting.

QNX will bring Adobe - not just flash, but the entire suite of applications and programming abilities. Though flash is pretty sweet and will leave Apple as the odd device out. Programming for QNX will be as easy as it is, if not easier than for Android and Apple. No more seeing a cool application on-line or on tv and then the dissapointment of "for Android and IOS only".

Programming from the ground up. The QNX BB OS will be programmed from the ground up with a UI and native applications that can fully take advantage of the software enviroment and the hardware.
    tumer and [email protected] like this.
    05-13-11 02:28 PM
    QNX will REQUIRE dual core phones. RIM already stated this months ago. Why would they take the time to scale it down to work on the current/new phones? they didnt with OS6... they aren't for OS7.... no way would they for OS8/QNX
    05-13-11 03:30 PM
    It will actually probably be less polished than OS7 at first. Maybe a better question is how long will it take QNX/OS8 on phones to match what OS7 can do. I mean when you look at things like the issues with battery charging/battery indicator level, etc. on the PlayBook... this is something pretty basic to these devices. I have and love the PlayBook, tolerating this type of thing since it is not an essential device *for me*. But I find it hard to believe RIM has this close to being nailed down on phones if it is like this on the PB. You might say the phones are a long ways off -- plenty of time. But again, power management is basic. We can all HOPE that most everything that is worked through on the PlayBook just sort of falls into place for phones as well. But there obviously are differences in use patterns and expectations, etc. We'll see.

Again, NOT bashing RIM. Just saying I think the first round of QNX phones could be a lot of potential, with a lot of BASIC issues. Kind of like the PB has been.
    05-13-11 03:41 PM
    i think the phones will be perfectly smooth once its totally smooth on the playbook then it will be no problems on phones if thats what there still called by 2012 lol
    05-13-11 04:11 PM
    i think the phones will be perfectly smooth once its totally smooth on the playbook then it will be no problems on phones if thats what there still called by 2012 lol
    That is what we all hope; that the "pain" with the PlayBook is paying off for the phone side of things. It is interesting how the two relate. I mean if you look at Apple having said they built iOS for tablets before the iPhone, then that bodes well I guess.
    05-13-11 04:17 PM
    Ha! Fat chance on the 9700/9780/9800 ever getting OS 6.1 dubbed OS 7.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 04:43 PM
    Personally, I don't trust first generation anything (i.e. - storm 1 vs. 2) I have the first ipad and the ipad 2 runs circle around it. So I'm not sold that the new phones will be flawless with the new os.
    05-16-11 11:57 AM
    QNX will REQUIRE dual core phones. RIM already stated this months ago. Why would they take the time to scale it down to work on the current/new phones? they didnt with OS6... they aren't for OS7.... no way would they for OS8/QNX

This is RIM's take on it. They don't have to do anything to make QNX run on a single core device. The OS already knows how to handle a single core. OS6 and OS7 are java based OSes. Scaling back or up is needed but QNX is a "nix" based OS. It doesn't need scaling for 1 or multiple cores. It already has that built in to determine what it best uses. With that said QNX can and will run on single core devices RIM is choosing not to do it for whatever reasons they see are best for them.
    05-16-11 12:56 PM
    I've ran QNX on a Pentium machine, from a floppy disc. So yes, QNX can run on a single core. It can even run on trailing-edge hardware. But that's about the core OS, not RIM's GUI layer and other higher level components.

I think the main reason for older phones not getting the 6.1/7.0 upgrade is the lack of a proper GPU in those phones.

I'd think the new Bold Touch should be equipped well enough to run QNX but the thing is, phones are 'throw away' devices these days. People upgrade yearly or max once every 2 years. One could argue it's not worth spending the time and money to get older devices updated...
    05-16-11 01:28 PM
    I would agree completely TheMarco. I believe the GPU as well is what is holding back releasing this on current or soon to be released devices.
    05-16-11 01:44 PM
    I've ran QNX on a Pentium machine, from a floppy disc. So yes, QNX can run on a single core. It can even run on trailing-edge hardware. But that's about the core OS, not RIM's GUI layer and other higher level components.

I think the main reason for older phones not getting the 6.1/7.0 upgrade is the lack of a proper GPU in those phones.

I'd think the new Bold Touch should be equipped well enough to run QNX but the thing is, phones are 'throw away' devices these days. People upgrade yearly or max once every 2 years. One could argue it's not worth spending the time and money to get older devices updated...
    Unless say QNX phones are release in Sept 2012, and you just purchased an OS7 device in August. Being an average consumer you had no idea that there was a new BB OS coming out. So how will that make you feel toward the BB brand?

Just hope that with QNX RIM changes their whole planned obsolescence program, and at least provides updates to devices in the future that have been out of production for less that a year.
    05-17-11 12:47 PM
    You people seem to think that RIM owes you a OS update when you buy your phone. All they really owe you is bug fixes to the OS that came with your phone when you bought it.

Do not buy a RIM device expecting it to be updated for years to come. Buy it for what it is and expect no more.

So many of you expect something for free! This is what 99 weeks of un-employment does to our now granny state!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-18-11 06:16 AM
    Beyond the older devices, there is also the 2012 model curves to consider, the odds are that those won't be dualcore which would seem to require a single core qnx os to show up at some point.
    Once RIM goes to QNX, ALL of their phones will be dual core. Dual core will be the standard for a while till the first low voltage quad cores start to hit the market.

I do not thing that RIM will waste their time and effort making a QNX lite for the older phones.
    05-18-11 07:07 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD