RIM To Move Ahead With QNX OS7 For Storm3? | GizmoFusion

Sorry for the re-post just thought we could discuss this info here also.
    11-10-10 01:48 PM
    Hopefully

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-10-10 02:01 PM
    If that's true, here's hoping there's a Torch 2 on somebody's drawing board targeted to get the same treatment.
    11-10-10 02:24 PM
    Crossing my fingers for release with LTE early next year...

Hey, I can dream can't I?!?
    11-10-10 02:27 PM

Hey.........I had the same dream!!!!

Great minds think alike ha
    11-10-10 02:35 PM

I'm having the same dream...and it is good!
    11-10-10 02:38 PM
    I'm hoping this drawing board they are talking about was a long long time ago and not just back in Sept when they axed the 9570 or else we really could be waiting till 2012 for this phone.
    11-10-10 04:24 PM
    OS6 users will feel being betrayed and deserted with a brand new OS just got out with the Torch. It almost feels like the OS6 users are RIM's "Windows Vista" users.
    Unless of course they gonna have an OS7 upgrade for all similar devices, but I have my doubts, since a QNX type OS would be a very hardware specific OS and the Torch and previous just won't cut it when it comes to hardware requirements.
    11-10-10 06:19 PM
    Please RIM make this possible by early 2011 my storm 1 is acting up and I dont want to waste an upgrade I want the best so show off to those droid and iphone users!!!!
    11-10-10 06:30 PM
    OS6 users will feel being betrayed and deserted with a brand new OS just got out with the Torch. It almost feels like the OS6 users are RIM's "Windows Vista" users.
    Unless of course they gonna have an OS7 upgrade for all similar devices, but I have my doubts, since a QNX type OS would be a very hardware specific OS and the Torch and previous just won't cut it when it comes to hardware requirements.
    I'm sure some users might feel "betrayed"..but the general BB populace would be very excited. Personally having just got OS6 I would be more than happy to upgrade without any feeling of bitterness. Its the way of the tech world, every year there's bigger and better things coming out.. Those that will complain will mostly be the kids who can't afford their own phone..or people who feel it necessary to wait out there contracts. Does that mean RIM should wait 2 years until they release new technology? (Ya ya..I know 2 years is RIM standard )..I'd say most people want it now.

11-10-10 07:42 PM
    i agree this would be nice but like mentioned this had better have been on the planning board months ago and not just a knee **** reaction they are just starting now
    11-10-10 07:43 PM
    Maybe part of this article should read:
    Around Sept time frame, during a few late night RIM coffee meetings, while surfing the net on a Playbook, RIM employees were reading crackberry.com and realized a few things. 1) The Storm 9570 is a very weak attempt at a consumer phone in comparison to whats on the market now. 2) Even our loyal followers on CB are laughing at this phone and its not even out yet. 3) Maybe we should develop a phone much like this Playbook we have right here that is ACTUALLY going to be competitive with what's going on in the market. Man, were genius's, end of story...
    What do you guys think? Feel free to add anything I may have missed?
    11-10-10 08:25 PM
    lmao, that about covers it bro!
    11-10-10 08:36 PM
    Please RIM make this possible by early 2011 my storm 1 is acting up and I dont want to waste an upgrade I want the best so show off to those droid and iphone users!!!!
    I know how you feel, I just got off the phone with customer service and they are sending me a storm 2 without using my upgrade because i told them that VZW didn't have any decent BB using an upgrade for.
    11-10-10 09:03 PM
    Actually, your 9530 has been acting up since 11/21/08.
    11-10-10 09:32 PM
    I'm sorry to see that there is yet one more indicator of SurePress being dumped. That is one of the primary features that has kept me with the Storm series. RIM is REALLY going to have to step up the rest of the hardware now to make up for taking away my favorite feature!
    11-10-10 09:35 PM
    Actually, your 9530 has been acting up since 11/21/08.

I am utterly speechless the Tucker knew the exact date!

11-10-10 09:38 PM
    Speaking of sure press, i feel like an utter ***** when i mash someone else's touchscreen before I realize that sure press is not there....
    11-10-10 09:39 PM
    I'm in the same boat in that I don't want to waste my upgrade when all this talk about release sometime soon but I at the same time I don't want to be stuck with something old and outdated for even longer. The waiting continues..
    11-10-10 10:22 PM
    I am utterly speechless the Tucker knew the exact date!

I stood in line for it, and boy was it COLD!
    11-11-10 03:11 AM
    I stood in line for it, and boy was it COLD!
    LOL. I sent an employee to do that! Actually he was getting it for himself, but I just wanted to see it. Mine has been Acting up since 2/21/09.

On OS7 I am with Matt and, well... Matt...

This better have been something they decided a while ago, and the recent "Aha!" moment was just that the 9570 as a refresh was just not going to do it when you see what carriers are rocking in the touchscreen realm. It would have been like showing up to a knife fight with a plastic butter knife. And a dull one at that.
    11-11-10 04:47 AM
    Hopefully they will change the name, it will still have World Phone capabilities, and it will no longer be a Verizon exclusive, or they will release "similar" models on other carriers. Hopefully the poor sales of Storms, Torches, and maybe the Style will show them that they do much better when they come out with multi-carrier releases like the Curve, Bold, Tour, etc.

Also its kinda scary that RIM didn't realize things were what they were until so late in the game. Hopefully they didn't just apply this epiphany to the Storm, but it will filter out to all there phones and that is the cause of the silence from RIM right now. Only thing they seem to be doing is pimping the Playbook, a device that won't be out for some time still.
    11-11-10 06:39 AM
    Speaking of sure press, i feel like an utter ***** when i mash someone else's touchscreen before I realize that sure press is not there....
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHA - I constantly do that!
    11-11-10 07:39 AM
    Hopefully they will change the name, it will still have World Phone capabilities, and it will no longer be a Verizon exclusive, or they will release "similar" models on other carriers. Hopefully the poor sales of Storms, Torches, and maybe the Style will show them that they do much better when they come out with multi-carrier releases like the Curve, Bold, Tour, etc.
    I expect they will keep the name, it is well known as the all-touch blackberry and a new one with decent hardware should eliminate the negative connotations from the earlier models.

While you think the sales of the models you mention were poor, it seems very unlikely that they won't have been an exclusive device without a minimum order from that particular carrier, also the exclusivity is only in the usa since carriers elsewhere have had or will have the storm and torch.

Also its kinda scary that RIM didn't realize things were what they were until so late in the game. Hopefully they didn't just apply this epiphany to the Storm, but it will filter out to all there phones and that is the cause of the silence from RIM right now. Only thing they seem to be doing is pimping the Playbook, a device that won't be out for some time still.
    The odds are that the cancelled storm was only intended to be around for a small amount of time before they released a new version earlyish in 2011 and for it to be worthwhile it had to be in the stores in time for the black friday shopping otherwise it wasn't viable.

As far as playbook getting the most pimping, maybe that is just an indication that it is their next big product, you have stuff like torch, style, 9780 etc. out before xmas, then the playbook early next year and then new phones after that.
    11-11-10 07:50 AM
    I expect they will keep the name, it is well known as the all-touch blackberry and a new one with decent hardware should eliminate the negative connotations from the earlier models.
    Not likely. The name "Storm" is a joke in the touch screen smartphone world. The die-hards will try to refute that but if you mention "Blackberry Storm" anywhere outside of Crackberry, you may get your feelings hurt.
    11-11-10 07:57 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD