Oh and please can we have Angry Birds now that we have touch screen?
    05-02-11 05:49 PM
    what about the 6.1 lite.

will that update be 6.1 or 7 lite?
    no ,
    you bought an OS 6 device you get OS 6

Am sad though i have to go from 9780 to 9900 it would hurt my pocket
    I ordered an envy 14
    and saved money for Hp touchpad ( yes not that WebOS rip off rubbish called playbook )
    and now the 9900 but its cool i love it so sorry nitendo 3DS am buying you with the Wii 2 together next year
    05-02-11 06:01 PM
    It would really suck to be a Torch or 9780 owner right now. They had a shorter life than the Storm 2. Maybe this time RIM will finally learn that people can't upgrade every 6 months.

Oh, and there will not be a 6.1 or a lite 7.0 for any of the old BB's. We've already been through this with OS 6.
    05-02-11 06:21 PM
    no ,
    you bought an OS 6 device you get OS 6

Am sad though i have to go from 9780 to 9900 it would hurt my pocket
    I ordered an envy 14
    and saved money for Hp touchpad ( yes not that WebOS rip off rubbish called playbook )
    and now the 9900 but its cool i love it so sorry nitendo 3DS am buying you with the Wii 2 together next year
    "As just mentioned, there has been BlackBerry 6.1 Lite, which means there could be a lite version for the BlackBerry 6 devices we currently have which includes the Torch 9800 and Bold 9780. RIM may have gone with BlackBerry 7 as the name change because it is only being supported on the new BlackBerry smartphones with enhanced hardware. Keeping the name as BlackBerry 6.1 makes it seem more as an update to the current 6.0 devices. Make sense?"

I understand that only new devices will get OS 7. I was specifically referring to the 6.1 lite that was to go on older devices. Has it been scrapped or not.
    05-02-11 06:37 PM
    It would really suck to be a Torch or 9780 owner right now. They had a shorter life than the Storm 2. Maybe this time RIM will finally learn that people can't upgrade every 6 months.

Oh, and there will not be a 6.1 or a lite 7.0 for any of the old BB's. We've already been through this with OS 6.
    Uhm, some of the devices that they said would not get OS6 got OS6.... There is no such thing as final, as they can basically do whatever they want, it's just a matter of how much they value the consumer complaints vs cost.
    05-02-11 06:42 PM
    i would assume scrapped but if not they should make that clear since many of the 9780 and 9800 owners would really enjoy that info lol
    05-02-11 06:47 PM

I have a Torch and I don't think this sucks at all. It will have served me well for a year by the time I'm due for an upgrade. If there were no new devices out at that time, I'd have no problem keeping it for another year - it still works as well as the day I bought it ... better, actually, with the various OS updates. It owes me nothing, I owe it nothing. It's been great, but there are better phones coming out ... it happens with every piece of technology we buy. Putting OS7 on your OS6 devices won't magically make it faster, but neither will leaving OS6 on it make it run any worse. Nobody is forcing us to upgrade our hardware just because new stuff comes out.

But geez, you've got to appreciate that RIM must be doing something right if they're coming out with new stuff that - wait for it - we want to buy!!!!!
    05-02-11 07:46 PM
    iPhone 3g release date: July 11, 2008. Released with ios 2.0. Major Release versions: 3.0; 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 (along with many "point releases").

BlackBerry Storm 2 release date: October 28, 2009. Released with 5.0. No major version upgrades, tons of "point" releases.

My beloved Torch release date: Aug 12, 2010 Released with 6.0. No love in the update department likely

My beloved Samsung Captivate release date: July 2010. Released with 2.1, updated to 2.2 recently. Rumours of 2.3 to be released.

I love my BB's but they don't do well in the upgradeability department and I'm really starting to get upset. I don't like being abandoned like this 8 months after release date...RIM throw us a bone here and give us 7.0 lite (basically new icons and a speedier browser). I will not be "upgrading" to the 7.0 phones as they are coming much too soon for a hardware upgrade.

At work we will be upgrading to Exchange 2010 and will be reexamining the need for BES and will likely be moving toward Active Sync to give us more flexibility and save $$. Only time will tell. Testing has already started.
    howarmat, hispanola and lewdvig like this.
    05-02-11 08:06 PM
    Uhm, some of the devices that they said would not get OS6 got OS6.... There is no such thing as final, as they can basically do whatever they want, it's just a matter of how much they value the consumer complaints vs cost.
    Who got OS 6..? They announced that it would be coming to the Pearl 3G, 9650, 9700 and those are the only ones that got it.
    05-02-11 08:18 PM
    iPhone 3g release date: July 11, 2008. Released with ios 2.0. Major Release versions: 3.0; 3.1, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 (along with many "point releases").

BlackBerry Storm 2 release date: October 28, 2009. Released with 5.0. No major version upgrades, tons of "point" releases.

My beloved Torch release date: Aug 12, 2010 Released with 6.0. No love in the update department likely

My beloved Samsung Captivate release date: July 2010. Released with 2.1, updated to 2.2 recently. Rumours of 2.3 to be released.

I love my BB's but they don't do well in the upgradeability department and I'm really starting to get upset. I don't like being abandoned like this 8 months after release date...RIM throw us a bone here and give us 7.0 lite (basically new icons and a speedier browser). I will not be "upgrading" to the 7.0 phones as they are coming much too soon for a hardware upgrade.

At work we will be upgrading to Exchange 2010 and will be reexamining the need for BES and will likely be moving toward Active Sync to give us more flexibility and save $$. Only time will tell. Testing has already started.
    Yeah it is sad
    05-02-11 08:22 PM
    I agree completely! OS7 is going to be one hit wonder with Rim going to QNX! Why would you buy an OS6.1 errrrrr OS7 phone!
    05-02-11 09:16 PM
    I agree completely! OS7 is going to be one hit wonder with Rim going to QNX! Why would you buy an OS6.1 errrrrr OS7 phone!
    Because OS7 will be here when I'm ready to upgrade and QNX won't. Only reason I need.
    05-02-11 09:23 PM
    Some people would rather save money and use it on something more important than a useless phone upgrade.

And I'm referring to upgrading your mobile phone likely 2 times in the span of one year (to OS7 and then to QNX).

Sorry, I'm not into that.
    05-02-11 10:26 PM

Your comparison does not make sense.
    05-02-11 10:39 PM
    Most iPhone 3G's (not 3GS, 3G) that were updated to 4.0 and above became very slow and nearly unusable. Well-reported problem. I have clients, co-workers, and friends who all had the problem when they upgraded their 3G. Major software upgrades don't always help an older phone. Sometimes, a company can try too hard to make something backwards compatible.

It'd be nice if a "lite" version of OS7 came out for my Torch, but my Torch doesn't suck and works better than the day I bought it (last August). I don't need a major upgrade, quality bug fixes are all I expect from a software update. Anything else is gravy.

Mobile technology is moving very quickly. I don't think we should expect major software upgrades when we buy a phone. The life expectancy of a phone isn't that long. It's like a client wanting to upgrade their 5 year old PC to Windows 7. Not going to happen (or be worth it, if it can be upgraded). The technology is evolving too fast. The problem more lies with carriers, who lock you into a 2 year contract on a phone-even if that phone is close to EOL.

When I buy a phone, my thought is "does this do what I need the way I want it to now?"
    05-02-11 11:44 PM
    I have a Torch and I don't think this sucks at all. It will have served me well for a year by the time I'm due for an upgrade. If there were no new devices out at that time, I'd have no problem keeping it for another year - it still works as well as the day I bought it ... better, actually, with the various OS updates. It owes me nothing, I owe it nothing. It's been great, but there are better phones coming out ... it happens with every piece of technology we buy. Putting OS7 on your OS6 devices won't magically make it faster, but neither will leaving OS6 on it make it run any worse. Nobody is forcing us to upgrade our hardware just because new stuff comes out.

But geez, you've got to appreciate that RIM must be doing something right if they're coming out with new stuff that - wait for it - we want to buy!!!!!
    1. You can't really blame people for hoping for more value from their purchases.
    2. The Torch is still available for sale so not everyone will have owned one as long as you. It is still a $500 phone, is it fair for today's buyer to have an phone that will be artificially obsoleted in a couple of months?
    3. Forcing BB users to go into phone stores for upgrades is the last thing RIM wants. 80% of those people will exit the store with new iPhone or Android phones.

I am an iPhone user but have a nice red 9800 and I think it is quite good. With a better browser and mobile hotspot I think it would be worth keeping as a primary phone.

The iPhone is light years better, but the BB sucks much less than I thought it would and has it's own charming traits. The unified inbox chief among them.
    Mrlovkim likes this.
    05-07-11 05:04 PM
    That's nuts, how many carriers even have a upgrade policy after one year?
    05-07-11 05:15 PM
    1. You can't really blame people for hoping for more value from their purchases.
    2. The Torch is still available for sale so not everyone will have owned one as long as you. It is still a $500 phone, is it fair for today's buyer to have an phone that will be artificially obsoleted in a couple of months?
    3. Forcing BB users to go into phone stores for upgrades is the last thing RIM wants. 80% of those people will exit the store with new iPhone or Android phones.

I am an iPhone user but have a nice red 9800 and I think it is quite good. With a better browser and mobile hotspot I think it would be worth keeping as a primary phone.

The iPhone is light years better, but the BB sucks much less than I thought it would and has it's own charming traits. The unified inbox chief among them.
    Bought my Torch less then two months ago and its only been here in Holland a few months before that. My thinking was buy the new phone with a new os thinking it would be around for a while so I am good to go. six or seven weeks later they announce more or less my phone is now obsolete....yay me

I still love the Torch with a real keybord and the option to use virtual keybord, so to me it was like an iphone and bb made into one which made me happy but announcing already a new OS makes me a feel a bit ripped off. Just feels like they rushed the Torch out with the OS6 fully knowing they had the OS7 right behind it.

Just my 2 cents
    05-07-11 06:02 PM
    I wonder what % of people actually upgrade their phone OS...
    I remember seeing that 'lite' version of 6.1 on the leaked roadmap too - hopefully that will be available for whoever wants to update the 2010 phones

I agree unless any of them have a dual core processor. I actually don't know why everyone expects to get the latest and greatest on their now older phone. Even when companies do that it usually isn't a good experience anyway.
    05-08-11 01:30 AM
    Bought my Torch less then two months ago and its only been here in Holland a few months before that. My thinking was buy the new phone with a new os thinking it would be around for a while so I am good to go. six or seven weeks later they announce more or less my phone is now obsolete....yay me
    The torch actually came out about Sept/Oct time over there and so it will be about 10 months since the first one came out, but in any case, the Torch is still getting updates now, just because they are still labelled os6 doesn't actually mean that they are not updates.

In many ways their approach is more honest than releasing an update that matches the version being given to newest hardware but strips out all the actual features which is basically what happens with some ios releases.
    05-08-11 05:21 AM
    I bought my Curve 8330 in June 2009, by then, already a year old device. I was only able to upgrade the OS on it ONCE! One time, bam, done! But it has served me well now for almost 2yrs, and I've had a Sprint premier upgrade (B4 they screwed us) for an upgrade last June, and now of course this June (contract expires) I've watched the Tour released, passed on it, the cheapy 3rd world craftsmanship of the "upgraded" Curves, the Bold 9650, again passed on to wait for a better device, the Style (passed) and Curve 3G (passed) now that the Bold 9930 is almost upon us, I will definatly grab this device, knowing full well that a year later RIM will have a 4G QNX OS BlackBerry out...but like my Curve 8330, I will knowingly and willingly accept it as my device sans upgrades for 2yrs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 09:26 AM
    I bought my Curve 8330 in June 2009, by then, already a year old device. I was only able to upgrade the OS on it ONCE! One time, bam, done! But it has served me well now for almost 2yrs, and I've had a Sprint premier upgrade (B4 they screwed us) for an upgrade last June, and now of course this June (contract expires) I've watched the Tour released, passed on it, the cheapy 3rd world craftsmanship of the "upgraded" Curves, the Bold 9650, again passed on to wait for a better device, the Style (passed) and Curve 3G (passed) now that the Bold 9930 is almost upon us, I will definatly grab this device, knowing full well that a year later RIM will have a 4G QNX OS BlackBerry out...but like my Curve 8330, I will knowingly and willingly accept it as my device sans upgrades for 2yrs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I admire and respect your self control.
    05-14-11 10:02 PM
    I wonder what % of people actually upgrade their phone OS...
    I remember seeing that 'lite' version of 6.1 on the leaked roadmap too - hopefully that will be available for whoever wants to update the 2010 phones
    Key features of 6.1 like mobile hotspot could be easily included in updates for older models. There are 9800 and 9780 field testing with these roms already, no?

I can understand the os7 eye candy requiring new hardware, but hopefully we old timers will get 6.1 or 7 lite.

My 9800 was sold to someone else - it won't get 7 so its value will soon go down. I'll use the free 9700 that Telus gave me and skip 7 until I know what hw will run QNX. I am not buying a $600 9900 if I don't know for sure that it will get QNX.
    Last edited by lewdvig; 05-14-11 at 10:19 PM.
    05-14-11 10:15 PM
    I'm glad I didn't get a 9780. Didn't those come out in December? So effectively it is dead after months... The same thing will happen to the 9900 once QNX hits (next year?).
    05-14-11 11:10 PM
    honnestly, now that i got a playbook, i don t feel the same urge to get a new bb with os7 over my 9780.
    05-15-11 03:34 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD