Found this article.

http://www.berryreview.com/2011/05/02/blackberry-os-7-not-coming-to-older-devices/

It basically states my worst fears, that current OS6 devices don't have the hardware to run the "liquid graphics" of OS7

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 11:27 AM
    Doesn't surprise me, but it would be nice if they rolled features like configuring the homescreen views into subsequent os6 updates since that obviously doesn't depend on new hardware.
    05-02-11 11:33 AM
    True. In my mind, they should release an OS 6.1 which just has updated icons and custom homescreens.

When I bought my Bold9780, I thought OS6 would stick for a year or two before a major upgrade. And now OS6 is "obsolete". Brilliant.

05-02-11 11:38 AM
    True. In my mind, they should release an OS 6.1 which just has updated icons and custom homescreens.

When I bought my Bold9780, I thought OS6 would stick for a year or two before a major upgrade. And now OS6 is "obsolete". Brilliant.

Yeah I agree. Perhaps OS6.1 will be that Lite version that was mentioned in that slide a couple months back. I'll be quite dissappointed if they just keep OS6 on the torch and 9780s. Bring in some of the updates from OS7 like the even newer web browser, custom homescreen tabs, icons.
    05-02-11 11:49 AM
    More evidence that BB7 really is a large update from BB6. Those liquid graphics and hardware accelerated gaming is not possible on the current BB6 hardware.

It's unfortunate that BB6 devices get left behind but hopefully this means they won't hold down the BB7 devices from hitting their full potential.
    05-02-11 11:51 AM
    They're also trying to make a break with the past and show that they're making a fresh start. By not supporting legacy devices they're also making it easier to develop for them since you only need to worry about a specific set of hardware specs.
    05-02-11 11:55 AM
    Expect the same when BB 8 rolls out for these devices. I highly doubt these new devices will upgrade to QNX OS.

05-02-11 12:02 PM
    Expect the same when BB 8 rolls out for these devices. I highly doubt these new devices will upgrade to QNX OS.

I agree unless any of them have a dual core processor. I actually don't know why everyone expects to get the latest and greatest on their now older phone. Even when companies do that it usually isn't a good experience anyway.
    05-02-11 12:12 PM
    More evidence that BB7 really is a large update from BB6. Those liquid graphics and hardware accelerated gaming is not possible on the current BB6 hardware.

It's unfortunate that BB6 devices get left behind but hopefully this means they won't hold down the BB7 devices from hitting their full potential.
    I doubt they would do anything to hold down OS7 now, its their silver bullet to take down android and iOS. This is a sink or swim situation for RIM, and I really hope they get the sales which they deserve. I've never seen an OS get replaced so quickly, OS6 has been out for how long? 9-10 months now?

R.I.P OS 6
    OS7 was meant to be you

05-02-11 12:13 PM
    I agree unless any of them have a dual core processor. I actually don't know why everyone expects to get the latest and greatest on their now older phone. Even when companies do that it usually isn't a good experience anyway.
    You'd like to think a device on a 2 year contract would get 2 years worth of support in software updates. So the 9780 just came out when? And now it can't run the next OS. I understand this at the changeover to QNX kernel but you'd have liked to see latest bb6 devices have a shot at bb7 even if dumbed down. Of course when you implement hardware that is just good enough, this is then result.

05-02-11 12:19 PM
    I want to see some Angry Birds on my 9930........
    05-02-11 12:24 PM
    HTML 5 browser, Mobile WiFi Hotspot, and that's me sorted. That'll keep my Torch from being EOL 4 months before I bought it...
    05-02-11 12:28 PM
    You'd like to think a device on a 2 year contract would get 2 years worth of support in software updates. So the 9780 just came out when? And now it can't run the next OS. I understand this at the changeover to QNX kernel but you'd have liked to see latest bb6 devices have a shot at bb7 even if dumbed down. Of course when you implement hardware that is just good enough, this is then result.

Yeah, I learned not to, I have a tour lol. It would be nice if it happened but with all the changes RIM is going thru I just don't see it happening.
    05-02-11 12:29 PM
    Yeah, I learned not to, I have a tour lol. It would be nice if it happened but with all the changes RIM is going thru I just don't see it happening.
    Agreed.

05-02-11 12:31 PM

That has more to do with the updated Hardware/SoC in the new devices than the software. I don't think the changes warrant a full version upgrade, but I think they wanted to decouple it from BB6 when they push the new devices. It makes it sound a bit more compelling and leads users to believe there is much to want in this version. It's more marketing than anything, IMO.

Jumping a major version also gives them an excuse to not support older devices.

If it was 6.1 people would be asking when their Torch/9780 updates were coming, but going to 7 makes "can't support it on those devices" sound a lot more legitimate.

In reality is more like a service pack than a full version jump, IMO.

Then again, RIM typically only makes somewhat incremental changes in their OS even across full version jumps (OS5 to 6, e.g.).
    Last edited by N8ter; 05-02-11 at 12:47 PM.
    mickrg123 likes this.
    05-02-11 12:43 PM
    what about the 6.1 lite.

will that update be 6.1 or 7 lite?
    05-02-11 01:14 PM

What you would "like to think" and what will really run on your older device are two different things.

If your phone works for two years and they do a few updates to fix any bugs, that is all you should expect. OS7 will demand more CPU than the 9780 will be able to muster.
    05-02-11 01:48 PM
    I completely agree. I've got a Tour as well, so being left behind because the Hardware can't handle the update was a way of life.

05-02-11 02:26 PM
    If I were a developer, I would be pissed having to go and support three or four different OS's from RIM (that's if they are still developing for 5.x or that 6.x is backwards compatible.)

now I have to develop for
    5.x
    6.x
    7.x
    QNX
    hispanola likes this.
    05-02-11 02:30 PM
    While I really don't understand why... (if Android & iOS can run on MUCH older hardware), but this seems to be just how RIM likes to operate. Support a device for a year after it is release, then just drop it like it was a rotten tomato.

Don't think OS7 is really going to be that much of a game changer for RIM, it is more of a stop gap solution to QNX not being ready for smartphones. It has been awhile since many have seen a new BB, but how many of the faithful are going to want to buy into the OS7 bandwagon, when it might be possible that 6 or 7 months later the 4G, dual core, QNX OS devices will start showing up.

And just how is RIM going to get developers excited about an OS that is already DOA?
    05-02-11 02:33 PM
    OS 7 will basically do what OS6 was supposed to do, and that's have fancy graphics and run fast. Since the Torch and Bold 9780 had a bit more internal memory, they thought it would run OS6 like a breeze. But there's always a lag no matter what update you install. The more powerful processors is what's needed to give the OS the resources it needs to run smoothly.

BlackBerrys have been a bit behing hardware-wise in comparison to current smartphones. Nokia, Samsung, HTC all their flagship phones come with a 8mp+ camera, and we still have a 5. Only now has RIM decided to up the ante, and its about time.

Its just sad that they'd ditch OS6 so quickly. Guess I need to sell a kidney to get the 9900,

05-02-11 03:32 PM
    Calling OS7 a stop gap solution, while true, is a going a little easy on the OS in my mind. I think OS7 is like the red headed step child of all OS's. Lets just think about this for a minute in relation to other OS's (BB and others).

1) We all know OS's of all kinds will be replaced at some date with bigger and better OS's in the future. BUT... I don't think we have ever known what exactly the "future" OS would be when the "new" OS was announced. We all know QNX is coming and its awesome. Why upgrade to OS7?

2) OS7 will not be usable by any of the OS6 devices. Not even existing RIM customers will be able to use poor ol lonely OS7.

So if I have this straight in my mind (and correct me if I don't). RIM is implementing a new OS that no existing users can upgrade too. At the same time, RIM is working on a revolutionary new OS that will be second to none. Please, somebody tell me why anybody would buy an OS7 phone? In 1 year you will be crying when QNX comes out and your device has seen its last update.

I have a Tour and am planning on making it another year so I can experience some QNX awesomeness on my phone. If the Tour dies I will buy another one or maybe a 9650 with OS6 to tide me over. Anybody who buys a OS7 phone needs to have their head examined (that is just my opinion and no... I am not a doctor).

-Stone
    05-02-11 03:46 PM
    Upgrading for OS 6.1.... I mean OS7... is no different than updating an Android phone to get a FroYo to Gingerbread update...

This always looks disgusting when a manufacturer does it... To me, at least...
    05-02-11 04:34 PM

True the OS 7 would last for only a year
    Because QNX OS 8 require dual core processors and then you cant get OS 8 on your OS 7 device
    The he.ll is wrong with RIM they said in December of 2010 that QNX would come to bbs when they are dual core processors while in september they announced the playbook with a dual core TI OMAP processor - maybe QNX wasnt ready
    The Andrioid world rocks Dual core iPhone 5 would soon do so

In 2012 Dual cores would be 2Ghz not 1Ghz , that makes 2Ghz in both cores am sure RIM would opt for a 1GHz

Specs matters to me a lot, i wanted to get the torch 2 but i saw it has 4GB internal memory and 512 of ram but the bold touch 9900 has 8GB and 768 of ram so i go for the higher spec model,
    Last edited by xterra2; 05-02-11 at 05:42 PM.
    05-02-11 05:21 PM
    If I were a developer, I would be pissed having to go and support three or four different OS's from RIM (that's if they are still developing for 5.x or that 6.x is backwards compatible.)

now I have to develop for
    5.x
    6.x
    7.x
    QNX
    And you wonder, why developers shun the Blackberry platform
    You wonder why they are garbage apps in the app world?
    So many little app?

One thing iOS developers enjoy is that they develop for one platform only with the same screen size and porting iphones apps to iPad were made anything but easy for them ,
    To take care of the new hardware in the iOS developer world, you release an app update to the app itself which adds the functionality of the new hardware.
    Take Yahoo messenger for example if you have the 2G or 3G ipod touch you can still use it but for the 4G ipod touch you get an extra functionality of video calling so everybody still has yahoo messenger
    Now with 2G ipod touch when iOS 4 was released it was given an update lite update, no multi-tasking, changing of wallpaper for example but the 3G with better specs go that functionality,
    We see why Blackberry would lag forever in apps

Take Windoes phone 7 for exaple they came late to the game but they have more apps than the blackberry which was avaliable for years in a matter of months . Microsoft gave the Manufacturers ( LG,HTC,Samsung,Dell,Nokia ) minimum specs they must adhere to so basically apps for windows phone 7 would work in all windows 7 phones with no-do update available ( well some phones ) mango (wp7.5 ) windows phone 7 would only start to get better not to think about Nokia coming it,

I like Blackberrys but sometimes RIM annoys me but nevertheless am getting the Bold Touch after i upgraded from 9700 to 9780 am upgrading again am a loyal blackberry user, guess i have to sell my ipod touch 2G to buy the 9900 but i stil have ipod touch 4g because of the super amazing apps in the app store and to play Angry Birds
    Last edited by xterra2; 05-02-11 at 05:48 PM.
    05-02-11 05:34 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD