I was just listening to n4bb podcast episode 6 and there's a rim dude confirming what I've been saying all along.

OS7 and its variants are here to stay, it's a successful platform, and it will continue to serve those that love it, those that care about a low monthly bill and those that love the qwerty keyboard.

OS7 is not a dead platform or even a dead end, it will simply continue on as low/mid end offering.

As the guy put it, Rim has 2 platforms for developers to develop on.
    06-25-12 03:56 AM
    i prefer OS7.1 for simplicity and being a matured OS, relatively stable (though my 9900 died from time to time..).
    RIM should have released the playbook with OS7 first, then upgraded to QNX.

i agree that OS7 will live at least until 2013-4 for low-to-mid end line up. god knows if BB10 messed up - we can always come back to tried and true 9900s/9810s. Heck i could even buy a PD 9981
    06-25-12 05:22 AM
    When you look at some of the countries that BB7 sells the best in, it may be a good idea to continue supporting them for quite a while if feasable. Many of the poorer countries may not be able to afford the newer platform.
    06-25-12 07:30 AM
    i prefer OS7.1 for simplicity and being a matured OS, relatively stable (though my 9900 died from time to time..).
    RIM should have released the playbook with OS7 first, then upgraded to QNX.
    I don't think that would work. The hardware for the PlayBook is built to work seamlessly with QNX. If they made a BBOS 7 tablet, the hardware would more than likely have to be different from what we have on the PB today. Just as how the OS7 phones will not be able to run BB10, a BBOS 7 would not be able to run a QNX OS.
    06-25-12 07:40 AM
    I don't think that would work. The hardware for the PlayBook is built to work seamlessly with QNX. If they made a BBOS 7 tablet, the hardware would more than likely have to be different from what we have on the PB today. Just as how the OS7 phones will not be able to run BB10, a BBOS 7 would not be able to run a QNX OS.
    Could be wrong but I think he meant the first BB Tablet should've been launched with BBOS.
    06-25-12 07:51 AM
    I just don't see how this is a positive. It seems like an extra hoop to jump through to get apps.
    06-25-12 09:17 AM
    I just don't see how this is a positive. It seems like an extra hoop to jump through to get apps.
    It's a positive for me and everybody else that loves the BBOS. Aps are not that important to us otherwise we would've moved on by now.
    06-25-12 09:30 AM
    I thought RIM had said OS7 will remain but for emerging markets only?
    06-25-12 11:17 AM
    I thought RIM had said OS7 will remain but for emerging markets only?
    Where exactly did they say that?
    06-25-12 11:25 AM
    Where exactly did they say that?
    Honestly, I don't recall. I'm tempted too say it was in the Q&A section of an earnings call last year. I can't say exactly but it would jive with the "low end" market you referenced.
    06-25-12 11:28 AM
    Honestly, I don't recall. I'm tempted too say it was in the Q&A section of an earnings call last year. I can't say exactly but it would jive with the "low end" market you referenced.
    There's a low end market in the western world too.

Anyway, there's a RIM guy confirming it on the podcast, do you not believe him? Lol
    06-25-12 11:41 AM
    There's a low end market in the western world too.

Anyway, there's a RIM guy confirming it on the podcast, do you not believe him? Lol
    I'm not sure how you got that from what I said. I agree that OS7 will continue for a while, in the Low End markets he implied. I'm going to assume you don't know the name of this guy or have a transcript?
    06-25-12 11:43 AM
    Mike L, I believe stated it, at the last Dev Con in April. Also, Crackberry Kevin has been saying it on almost every podcast here.

BBOS would stay for the foreseeable future mainly for emerging markets but would eventually be phased out.
    06-25-12 11:48 AM
    If BB10 fails, can RIM survive (in a much scaled down form) by just keeping on with BBOS? A small but stable niche product?

If not, then "to stay" depends upon whether BB10 is here to stay. When it gets here.
    06-25-12 12:53 PM
    There is nothing positive about this when they already do not want to develop for it. Most of them will see that BB10 is where the money is at and BB7 development will be even worse than it is now.

For those who do not care about apps, they might be fine with that. For those that do care about apps, they will move to BB10. BB10 devices wont stay at premium prices forever.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    06-25-12 12:56 PM
    This is great to hear I like the platform the way it is!
    06-25-12 12:57 PM
    People still use hammers.

I know to question peoples opinions if they don't see the value of BBOS.
    06-25-12 01:20 PM
    People still use hammers.

I know to question peoples opinions if they don't see the value of BBOS.

Yeah but nail guns are way faster and funnier to use.

Dang did I Just supported Android through a hammer analogy.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-25-12 at 04:41 PM.
    06-25-12 02:33 PM
    better keep OS7.1 alive even upgraded to OS8 or something.

look at what happens at Nokia..put all their bid on WP (CEO is Microsoft man) and see what happened now. Nokia ditch meego, throw symbian out, pay andersen(can't remember the name?) to continue symbian, and then now left at the mercy of Microsoft. Nokia swallow the bait and now the hook start pulling..now way it could run away.

rim's position is not that bad, it's just that in this age people won't wait very long to cheer up when someone's going slow or down. in the 90s communication and media are not llike now, so some company can paddle along and play ignorant or arrogant. not today. not will all the tech blogs and petty investors craving for attention.
    06-25-12 09:05 PM
    Not only that when mass adoption in the North American and Western European market happens and the market share of the older OS's begins to dwindle, what exactly will be the point for devs to keep(wait scratch that, start!!!) developing for OS 7?
    06-25-12 09:44 PM
    Not only that when mass adoption in the North American and Western European market happens and the market share of the older OS's begins to dwindle, what exactly will be the point for devs to keep(wait scratch that, start!!!) developing for OS 7?
    I dont think those that will stay on the BBOS will be concerned much with new apps being developed as long as the existing ones will be maintained.
    06-26-12 02:04 AM
    Sounds good on paper, but it will only lead to no new apps, more complaining and more bad press. You might not like it, but as soon as BB10 hits, any BB that is not BB10 needs to be taken out of stores for the good of the company. There's no need for it.
    06-26-12 02:12 AM
    Sounds good on paper, but it will only lead to no new apps, more complaining and more bad press. You might not like it, but as soon as BB10 hits, any BB that is not BB10 needs to be taken out of stores for the good of the company. There's no need for it.
    And put all their egs in one basket? Force happy existing users to upgrade to a new unfamiliar platform? Thankfully RIM doesn't agree with you.

PS aps that are in Appworld already, and there's plenty of them, don't cost the developers anything. Also as we all know, BBOS developers make more money then Android and IOS developers already.
    06-26-12 02:29 AM
    And put all their egs in one basket? Force happy existing users to upgrade to a new unfamiliar platform? Thankfully RIM doesn't agree with you.

PS aps that are in Appworld already, and there's plenty of them, don't cost the developers anything. Also as we all know, BBOS developers make more money then Android and IOS developers already.
    No dev is going to continue to develop and make new apps for OS7, they can't get Devs NOW for it, who in there right mind will do it when BB10 is out. So therefore there will be no NEW apps for anything but BB10, and that's where they should be sending what little Devs they have now to.

RIM's always spread out too thin cause of the 864 types of phones they have out there, and they're too afraid to realize that's whats put them in this position, too many phones + lack of apps + lack of devs because of too many phones + outdated phones = why RIm is laughed at today.

They're like pack rats with OCD, they can't get rid of junk. And will continue to sink till they get someone in charge that isn't afraid of change, because things can't get much worse...
    06-26-12 02:44 AM
    Also, that's the typical line any business puts out there before a major change is about to happen, wouldn't want to halt sales completely. Of course they're going to support it, knowing all along it's just going to die soon anyway hoping people still fall for it and keep sales decent until the change happens lol. It's business 101. So don't be shocked when the phrase, after careful consideration so and so will still be supported but with no updates in the future.
    06-26-12 02:52 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD