I am seriously considering getting a Z30 here in Australia, having had a Bold 9700 previously (my first smartphone) and a big soft-spot of BBRY. I'm currently on a 2-year contract with Virgin Mobile with my Galaxy Note 2, that runs out at the end of the year.

My thinking is that I'll purchase the Z30 outright, and then when my current contract runs out, I can either take my Z30 to another carrier on a better plan or, if the mythical Z50 does come out, I can get that on contract and either keep the Z30 as a back-up or sell it and recoup some of those hard-earned dollars.

The only carrier in Australia that has the Z30 is Telstra. My concern is that if I purchase it outright rather than getting it on contract with Telstra, that I'll have no way of getting the updates to the OS as my current carrier won't be providing OS updates (especially with 10.3 coming).

Is there an easy and reliable way of getting an OS update in this situation? Keen to get the collective thoughts.

Cheers
    04-07-14 05:37 AM
    I am seriously considering getting a Z30 here in Australia, having had a Bold 9700 previously (my first smartphone) and a big soft-spot of BBRY. I'm currently on a 2-year contract with Virgin Mobile with my Galaxy Note 2, that runs out at the end of the year.

My thinking is that I'll purchase the Z30 outright, and then when my current contract runs out, I can either take my Z30 to another carrier on a better plan or, if the mythical Z50 does come out, I can get that on contract and either keep the Z30 as a back-up or sell it and recoup some of those hard-earned dollars.

The only carrier in Australia that has the Z30 is Telstra. My concern is that if I purchase it outright rather than getting it on contract with Telstra, that I'll have no way of getting the updates to the OS as my current carrier won't be providing OS updates (especially with 10.3 coming).

Is there an easy and reliable way of getting an OS update in this situation? Keen to get the collective thoughts.

Cheers

IF the phone is unlocked, the updates should be there.

There are few ways to do that.

1) Get a SIM card (or just borrow) of a telco that has the latest firmware. Turn on WiFi (its going to be HUGE), and click update.

2) the more technical method, is to use Sachesi (a software), and you can grab any version that you want. There are tutorials about that.

3) leaks. This isn't something you want to do on your daily driver. But its still an option.

If its locked, you need to unlock the phone first. You need to ask Telstra if its locked to their carrier, or its unlocked.
    04-07-14 05:48 AM
    Just grab the z30 now. Don't wait because you can enjoy the fun and who knows when z50 is coming out.

We sure know 2 devices are coming

? Slicing using my ?
    04-07-14 06:36 AM
    thanks mate
    04-07-14 06:39 AM
    Adam Scott for back to back Master! Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oy, Oy, Oy!

Posted via CB10 on my Zee-Tree Zero!
    04-07-14 06:46 AM
    thanks mate
    Your ability to get updates is hampered by your carrier, regardless of if your device is locked or unlocked. What you can do is use Sachesi which allows you to mimic a software update by downloading the upgraded files of the new OS from a carrier who's released the OS.

All in all it's not too bad. Sachesi is pretty quick and I don't think you'll mind too much using it.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    04-08-14 11:24 AM