I suppose it's immaterial now but did the opportunity to subscribe to BB10 ever come up as an option, there may have been but the depths of time mean I've forgotten? Lots of apps have premium options where subscriptions apply and some only offer free trials for a defined period, so why not a OS subscription. I appreciate hardware has a lifespan based on at least memory and processor performance, esp as apps become more sophisticated, but given the option I'd have seriously considered subscribing to BB10 to keep my classic's software current at least until these limitation created problems. This would have generated a revenue for RIM in addition to the sale of hand sets that could have sustained the platform and phone development, maybe, or may I barking up the wrong tree? Would you have subscribed?
    06-12-21 04:38 PM
    I suppose it's immaterial now but did the opportunity to subscribe to BB10 ever come up as an option, there may have been but the depths of time mean I've forgotten? Lots of apps have premium options where subscriptions apply and some only offer free trials for a defined period, so why not a OS subscription. I appreciate hardware has a lifespan based on at least memory and processor performance, esp as apps become more sophisticated, but given the option I'd have seriously considered subscribing to BB10 to keep my classic's software current at least until these limitation created problems. This would have generated a revenue for RIM in addition to the sale of hand sets that could have sustained the platform and phone development, maybe, or may I barking up the wrong tree? Would you have subscribed?
    There wouldn't be enough. You'd need 1 million people to pay $100 a year for even minimal survival-level support.
    06-12-21 05:20 PM
    Would you have subscribed?
    Nope, not a chance.
    06-12-21 10:24 PM
    Would I have subscribed?

Abso-F'n-lutely not.

With no one else doing that, BlackBerry would have lost users faster.
    06-12-21 10:49 PM
    No, what good would support for the OS be if the line of business applications that I need aren't available on it? the overall marketshare for the OS was so tiny to begin with that with even, generously, 10 per cent paying for support, BlackBerry would have ended up losing even more money on the OS than they already did.
    06-13-21 07:58 PM
    Why would I?

Back in 2013 you might have sold people on the security aspects, but today Android and iOS are MUCH improved in that area.

It's been an idea for years that BB10 should be a subscription option, but the reality is the cost just don't balance out with the possibility of a viable userbase. We are talking about a group that had a hard time with $1.99 subscriptions...

Heck I'm wondering what MS is going to do with Windows 11 costs this time around... I suspect a LOT of people will still be on Windows 10 on October 14, 2025.
    Laura Knotek and pdr733 like this.
    06-15-21 09:35 AM
    Why would I?

Back in 2013 you might have sold people on the security aspects, but today Android and iOS are MUCH improved in that area.

It's been an idea for years that BB10 should be a subscription option, but the reality is the cost just don't balance out with the possibility of a viable userbase. We are talking about a group that had a hard time with $1.99 subscriptions...

Heck I'm wondering what MS is going to do with Windows 11 costs this time around... I suspect a LOT of people will still be on Windows 10 on October 14, 2025.
    MS is not in the same position. It seems they have enough revenue to cover the OS for a while. I've yet to hear anything that would indicate they plan to do anything different with Win 11 than what they've done with Win 10 as far as cost to the consumer is concerned. I think they have plenty of Office 365 subscriptions (personal and corporate) to cover it for now.
    Laura Knotek and Tsepz_GP like this.
    06-15-21 09:44 AM
    Given that Win11 will only be installable on PCs with CPUs no older than 2 (AMD) or 3 (Intel) years old, you can say that again. Tens of millions of perfectly good PCs will never get 11.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-21 09:55 PM
    Given that Win11 will only be installable on PCs with CPUs no older than 2 (AMD) or 3 (Intel) years old, you can say that again. Tens of millions of perfectly good PCs will never get 11.
    Last time around the started with the new PC's. Then expanded to older models around 10 years old. 8 months after first roll out my old Acer laptop was updated to Windows 10 64 bit.

Windows 11 needs 64bit and not 32 bit.
    07-01-21 01:05 AM
    Last time around the started with the new PC's. Then expanded to older models around 10 years old. 8 months after first roll out my old Acer laptop was updated to Windows 10 64 bit.

Windows 11 needs 64bit and not 32 bit.
    Windows 11 is 64 Bit, and only 64 Bit...

The only real limitation is the TPM 2.0 requirement.....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-21 07:15 AM
    Windows 11 is 64 Bit, and only 64 Bit...

The only real limitation is the TPM 2.0 requirement.....
    yeah that has me tripped up currently. Have to go check my bios and turn it on perhaps. Not 100% sure it supports it yet.
    07-01-21 08:36 AM
    yeah that has me tripped up currently. Have to go check my bios and turn it on perhaps. Not 100% sure it supports it yet.
    Yeah many won't have it turned on.... https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...-its-supported

I know my five year old Surface Pro 4... a MS device won't support it.

TPM 2.0 came out in 2019, but some manufactures knew it was coming and their MB offer the needed support and updates. But you have a pre 2019 computer (or one built with older components), it's going to be a crap shoot as things stand. Possible your MB might accept a newer TPM module, and possible you MB manufacture has the needed BIOS updates...

But sounds like a good time to by stock in Del and HP.... folks are going to be needing new PC, if they want Windows 11
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-21 09:00 AM
    Yeah many won't have it turned on.... https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...-its-supported

I know my five year old Surface Pro 4... a MS device won't support it.

TPM 2.0 came out in 2019, but some manufactures knew it was coming and their MB offer the needed support and updates. But you have a pre 2019 computer (or one built with older components), it's going to be a crap shoot as things stand. Possible your MB might accept a newer TPM module, and possible you MB manufacture has the needed BIOS updates...

But sounds like a good time to by stock in Del and HP.... folks are going to be needing new PC, if they want Windows 11
    Wouldn’t it make better sense to buy a Windows 11 machine as needed, when needed so that it’s optimized for the OS rather than create issues with a current Windows 10 optimized system ?
    07-01-21 09:06 AM
    Yeah, I just built my current PC a month ago. In my hunt for parts over the course of the previous 4 months and trying to keep cost down, I ended up with a Gigabyte motherboard that only supports up to the 10th gen Intel Core chips. I wasn't thinking, but really should have gotten one that does 10th and 11th gen CPUs. Not that big a deal, though. Just limits my future upgrade path. Unless I get a BIOS update that adds 11th gen support.

Then saw the Win 11 issue and quickly checked using that compatibility checker that MS pulled for not being specific on why a system isn't compatible.

"Not supported".

But, read more and found out about just turning on a setting in the BIOS. I hunted around for the PTT in the BIOS, found it, turned it on, checked again, and I'm ready for Windows 11.

Of course, that's caused a whole scalping industry overnight for TPM chips that mostly aren't necessary.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-21 09:32 AM
    Windows 11 is pretty sweet though. Running smoothly too.
    07-01-21 09:55 AM
    Yeah, I just built my current PC a month ago. In my hunt for parts over the course of the previous 4 months and trying to keep cost down, I ended up with a Gigabyte motherboard that only supports up to the 10th gen Intel Core chips. I wasn't thinking, but really should have gotten one that does 10th and 11th gen CPUs. Not that big a deal, though. Just limits my future upgrade path. Unless I get a BIOS update that adds 11th gen support.

Then saw the Win 11 issue and quickly checked using that compatibility checker that MS pulled for not being specific on why a system isn't compatible.

"Not supported".

But, read more and found out about just turning on a setting in the BIOS. I hunted around for the PTT in the BIOS, found it, turned it on, checked again, and I'm ready for Windows 11.

Of course, that's caused a whole scalping industry overnight for TPM chips that mostly aren't necessary.
    Well the word is 8th gen Intel or better but it could be as low as 7th depending on the experience of beta software users. I have an old Lenovo 5th and initially thought the leaked (and crippled) Win11 would install, but no cigar.
    07-01-21 11:30 AM
    Windows 11 is pretty sweet though. Running smoothly too.
    It does look nice! I got a new Dell XPS 13 for Christmas with the 11th i7 so should be good to go later on.
    07-01-21 11:32 AM
    Well the word is 8th gen Intel or better but it could be as low as 7th depending on the experience of beta software users. I have an old Lenovo 5th and initially thought the leaked (and crippled) Win11 would install, but no cigar.
    I heard about that CPU limit. I knew I was fine, CPU-wise. Apparently, there was a big uproar about stopping at the 8th gen Intel because the 7th gen was very popular - many gamers are still on it and don't want to give it up. That's why MS backed off a bit on that limit.

I updated just in time. My last system was an AMD system using the FX-4300 that I put together back in 2013. It's done well for me all these years, but my work with AutoCAD and Building Information Modeling software (Revit) did bog it down as I do more work at home now.
    07-01-21 11:46 AM
    There's gnu/linux as an alternative, including virtual machine solutions.

Personally I haven't used windows in 7 years. It's still at 6.6.3 (10), when 11 gets officially released, it'll be at 6.6.9 or 6.7.0. (going by original version numbering).

At least we have options, that Microsoft will never give us.
    07-05-21 03:33 AM
    I heard about that CPU limit. I knew I was fine, CPU-wise. Apparently, there was a big uproar about stopping at the 8th gen Intel because the 7th gen was very popular - many gamers are still on it and don't want to give it up. That's why MS backed off a bit on that limit.

I updated just in time. My last system was an AMD system using the FX-4300 that I put together back in 2013. It's done well for me all these years, but my work with AutoCAD and Building Information Modeling software (Revit) did bog it down as I do more work at home now.
    More RAM and turning off virtual memory (or limiting to 16MB) would definitely help.

If there's free open source alternatives to what you currently use, especially autoCAD, those could be the best alternatives.

If what you use can run smoothly in a virtual machine, you may not need windows at all.
    07-05-21 03:40 AM
    More RAM and turning off virtual memory (or limiting to 16MB) would definitely help.

If there's free open source alternatives to what you currently use, especially autoCAD, those could be the best alternatives.

If what you use can run smoothly in a virtual machine, you may not need windows at all.
    Not in my situation. I've got 32MB now, so I'm fine. Autocad isn't the main program. It's Revit - a collaborative software that allows multiple users to work on the model. Within the same firm, and outside engineering consultants. Files are saved to Autodesk's own cloud-based service - BIM360. Files can be a few MBs in size to tens of GBs for just one file.

There is no open source alternative to that.
    07-05-21 09:38 AM
    Not in my situation. I've got 32MB now, so I'm fine. Autocad isn't the main program. It's Revit - a collaborative software that allows multiple users to work on the model. Within the same firm, and outside engineering consultants. Files are saved to Autodesk's own cloud-based service - BIM360. Files can be a few MBs in size to tens of GBs for just one file.

There is no open source alternative to that.
    Yeah if there were and open source alternative that could open any CAD file format, including Revit Modeling... why would Autodesk exist?

Same for Windows 11... not "really" any alternatives for enterprise.

Individuals might be able to make Linux or Chromebook work for them. But for now most users of "programs" need Windows. Now as more and more solutions move to subscriptions and to cloud offerings, and as speeds increase. We are getting closer and closer to the point where all that's needed is a browser.

Which is why MS isn't really charging for Windows 11.... only making sure the hardware is going to provide the most secure experience.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-06-21 07:40 AM