Hello,

Noob question here... I've found a good deal on an unlocked 8900 and the seller has mentioned that an OS reload would undo the SIM unlock. Is this also the case if I do an OS upgrade to the latest rev?

Thanks in advance.
    06-03-09 12:51 PM
    An OS upgrade will NOT relock your phone. Unlocking is a one-time irreversible event. An upgrade is no different from a reload of the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 12:59 PM
    Thank you, Jeff... Any idea why the seller would say: "The unlock is permanent unless you reload the operating system." Ignorance?

Is there some sort of non-permanent software unlock he might be using?
    06-03-09 01:05 PM
    Thank you, Jeff... Any idea why the seller would say: "The unlock is permanent unless you reload the operating system." Ignorance?

Is there some sort of non-permanent software unlock he might be using?
    Possibly ignorance. But it's not clear what sort of unlocking software he's using, assuming he's using one of his own. Basically these phones are unlock ready and just need the number code and it's done.
    06-03-09 01:07 PM
    I don't know what he means by "SIM unlock." I've only heard it called "unlocked." Like 29 says, he may be meaning something different by the use of the phrase.

06-03-09 01:12 PM
    I don't know what he means by "SIM unlock." I've only heard it called "unlocked." Like 29 says, he may be meaning something different by the use of the phrase.

OK, sorry, SIM unlock was my phrase not his. He just says unlocked.
    06-03-09 01:18 PM
    Very good. Unlocked is unlocked. You cannot relock a GSM phone by wiping and reloading an OS, nor can you relock it by upgrading an OS. That may not be true of non-BlackBerry GSM phones, which may be the source of the original owner's confusion.

06-03-09 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD