If you're running a non carrier OS version, or a hybrid OS, will you still be able to do OTA (wireless) upgrade onces your carrier pushes it? I ask because I wonder if the vendor file or something would cause the device to be "overlooked". Thanks
    09-02-10 02:15 PM
    The vendor file doesn't go on the device, and would have to be deleted for another carrier's OS to be installed. OTA will still work fine.
    09-02-10 02:20 PM
    Each blackberry is programed with a vendor file in the System Tools that you cannot access. You cannot change or edit that VendorID, on the phone. So the carrier/supplier of the phone will still see your device as one of theirs. The only thing that might come into factor is when they ping your phone, if your phone has a higher OS number it will most likely by-pass your phone. But i might be wrong on that.

VERY few carriers use OTA updates anymore since they are highly unstable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mjneid; 09-02-10 at 02:42 PM.
    09-02-10 02:27 PM
    You can still update OTA, but there's a good chance that you won't be alerted to the new OS being available for you via OTA. I remember I was running Sprint's release of 5.0 on my Tour prior to VZW making it available. Once VZW launched it people who were running VZW 4.7 were getting OTA alerts, but the folks who had jumped on the Sprint release weren't getting any notification of a new OS being available.
    09-02-10 02:28 PM
    Also, if you have an unlocked phone on a different carrier, you will definitely want to avoid an OTA upgrade. That will install useless apps. As MJ said, the phone is permanently ID'd by it's vendor. An unlocked att on T-Mo will still be seen as an att, if at all.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 09-02-10 at 02:35 PM.
    09-02-10 02:33 PM
    To be honest, as Mike mentioned, I think I would prefer to avoid an OTA OS load and do it myself. Fewer chances for something to go wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD