Hi guys. Since we need a 3rd and 4th OS. RIM is battling MS to number three and for bronze. 4th is not good enough for one OS. my friends are asking which one is gonna be third

It's Wp8 vs BB10

vs

Wp8: Windows phone 8 is a entirely new OS. It features a new live tile interface that are resizable. Built from the Windows 8 Kernel. It has tones of features. Direct X. enhanced Xbox live integration and Cloud integration etc. It also introduces the enterprise features Windows 8 and Windows 7 has.

BB10: is also a new OS built from the QNX kernel. It has a new interface that is nowhere like BB OS7 and it also has new enhanced Enterprise features. It fits all factors. touch to qwerty devices

Which Do you think will win and why. and what is the potential. Be Honest

I'm no Troll. I own a Lumia 800 and a Bold 9900.

REMEMBER THIS IS A FRIEND QUESTION!

This is on Wpcentral as well.
    Last edited by 12Dandaman; 09-15-12 at 03:12 AM.
    09-15-12 02:47 AM
    Hi guys. Since we need a 3rd and 4th OS. RIM is battling MS to number three and for bronze. 4th is not good enough for one OS

It's Wp8 vs BB10
    Click to view quoted image

vs
    Click to view quoted image

Which Do you think will win and why. and what is the potential. Honest

I'm no Troll. I own a Lumia 800 and a Bold 9900.

This is on Wpcentral as well.
    I am either going to get a Nokia 920 or a bb10, my prediction is that windows wins out simply because RIM runs out of cash (they will burn through that two billion cash pile pretty quickly), Nokia alone needs wp8 to success and they alone will be going for broke. If Samsung or HTC get more serious about WP8, then it gets more difficult.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    kevinnugent and Drew808 like this.
    09-15-12 02:56 AM
    I am either going to get a Nokia 920 or a bb10, my prediction is that windows wins out simply because RIM runs out of cash (they will burn through that two billion cash pile pretty quickly), Nokia alone needs wp8 to success and they alone will be going for broke. If Samsung or HTC get more serious about WP8, then it gets more difficult.

Well I do Think While Samsung and HTc are dead serious about Wp8 now. HTC stated they are going big with wp8. and Samsung are distancing themselves from google to MS. makes sense. Samsung or HTC will release Wp8 versions of their android phones. Samsung will pretty likely release an Ativ Note
    09-15-12 03:05 AM
    I will most likely be going for a BB10 device when it comes out, but at this point, i think that WP will be the 3rd ecosystem.

1) Microsoft has the resources to keep pushing it. Simple example, the xbox.

2) WP8 seems to be a more consumer oriented OS.

3) Windows 8.

This is simply my opinion at this point, as we have yet to see more details about BB10. But to me it really doesn't matter that much. I'll most likely be going for BB10 for a couple of reasons.

In the end, why worry who will be the 3rd ecosystem? Just go for what works best for you and leave it at that. Let RIM and MS fight it out for themselves, their battle for 3rd is none of my concern. As long as it has the apps that i currently use on my BBOS 7 device on BB10, I'll be perfectly happy with it. And of course, as long as BB10 does well enough to survive in the long run.
    12Danny123 likes this.
    09-15-12 04:05 AM
    I will most likely be going for a BB10 device when it comes out, but at this point, i think that WP will be the 3rd ecosystem.

3) Windows 8.

This is simply my opinion at this point, as we have yet to see more details about BB10. But to me it really doesn't matter that much. I'll most likely be going for BB10 for a couple of reasons.

In the end, why worry who will be the 3rd ecosystem? Just go for what works best for you and leave it at that. Let RIM and MS fight it out for themselves, their battle for 3rd is none of my concern. As long as it has the apps that i currently use on my BBOS 7 device on BB10, I'll be perfectly happy with it. And of course, as long as BB10 does well enough to survive in the long run.
    There is that argument but I think that if BB10 fails to establish itself as a solid third, people are in for a webOS like experience (which might include me if I do end up with a bb10 devices - I'm currently more likely to get a wp because of the support for things like skydrive, office 365 and so on).

12Danny123 likes this.
    09-15-12 04:11 AM

3) Windows 8.

Yea. You do have a point. Windows 8 is enormous. It's basically Wp8 senior and wp8 is windows 8 junior in cell phone mode. it's basically Windows 8 on a smartphone
    09-15-12 04:26 AM
    There's something really cool to consider about this thread. Now, me personally I don't give a d*mn what the mass consumer market at large considers number "anything", but I appreciate both RIM and MS for one simple thing; they are INNOVATING, as in creating something new rather than just tweaking the same designs and concepts everyone else is doing. Just a little point to consider rather than worrying about who's outselling who. Good things for all of us yes?

For my personal life, I both rely on and personally have deep feelings for BlackBerry, so to me RIM is above all else, no number 3 or etc. Sorry for sounding goofy, i'm just one of those emotional kind of people

Written from BitPusher's BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Alex_Hong, Jake Storm and Balti43 like this.
    09-15-12 07:17 AM
    In all. Honesty I'm expecing Windows Phone 8 as well as the whole microsoft ecosystem to have a strong holiday season and grab the third place slot (2nd place in the tablet market). I'll probably be grabing a samsung ativ or nokia lumia 820. Will be skipping windows tablets this year in wait for the next intel chipset people have been telling me about and grabbing a wii U.
    09-15-12 07:30 AM
    There is that argument but I think that if BB10 fails to establish itself as a solid third, people are in for a webOS like experience (which might include me if I do end up with a bb10 devices - I'm currently more likely to get a wp because of the support for things like skydrive, office 365 and so on).

I really hope BB10 doesn't go the way of WebOS. I bought a Pre when they first came out, and it was a remarkable OS, but had half-baked hardware and relatively poor 3rd party app support (partly because of the lack of native SDK). If BB10 is a revolutionary OS like WebOS, I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate.
    09-15-12 07:53 AM
    No one has a crystal ball. BlackBerry has it's installed base, that if they can leverage, they can hold on to third. But like others have mentioned, Microsoft has the resources to push WP 8 and W8 and W8 RT and XBOX hard. What they don't have is a UI that has mass appeal, it's polarizing and divisive. People either love it or they hate it.

If RIM is the company that can make gestures catch on, and RIM can leverage QNX being everywhere and make some of the neat tricks they show off in demos a reality, then they don't need an XBox, they have your car, the subway, the ABM ect... But they need to actually come up with a real world day to day use case that makes BB 10 interact with all the devices out there running QNX and for that they need partnerships beyond just QNX license agreements. Can this be accomplished, yes, but it's not really what I'd call a safe bet. It's the long shot. But RIM has to be looking at pulling it off if they really want to stay relevant in the land of Giants.

RIM really does have to become a mobile computing company and a SOFTWARE company. They are taking the right steps, but the odds of success are long.

QNX is in 8 out of 10 cars on the road right now. Yet RIM can't seem to sell the Car 2 Platform to anyone. Maybe 4 out of 10 cars on the road today have an iPod Doc connector yet when Apple announce Siri for Auto, 9 of the World's top 10 automakers had already signed on to use it.

What RIM needs to do is figure out how to SELL their ideas to other companies. They need companies outside of Mobile to sign on to use their platforms. Google has the OHA, Microsoft has it's legion or PC manufacturers, Apple puts sh!t on a stick and it sells, RIM needs to be able to compete with that.

From a technology standpoint, a standards compliance standpoint, and an open ecosystem that does not force you to use a particular service [ala Razor+Blades or Printer+Ink type Business model], BB 10 is vastly superior to Windows Phone.

Just look to the HTML 5 compliance, and the open standards used in creating BB 10. It's a developers dream and a hackers wonder toy.

Windows Phone is NOT based on the Windows 8 Kernel despite what that greasy little weasel Stephen Elop mentioned at the Nokia event. Plus it's still just Windows and not open standards compliant. Sure, Microsoft has the muscle to push their standards, but there has also been some push back lately from game developers who are moving more towards the open standards used in BB 10.

Nokia is also a big hindrance long term to the Windows Phone strategy. What other sane OEM wants to push Windows Phone to the top of their product portfolio when there is one OEM that gets paid to use Windows Phone and gets preferential treatment above all others in the ecosystem from Microsoft? Do you want to be an HTC when only Nokia gets to use their camera tech in Windows 8? Do you want to be a Samsung when only Nokia gets their special suit of Apps and you get stock like the other less loved kids? Why do you think Windows Phone 7 had 16 OEMs and Windows Phone 8 has only 4? Cause everyone else said if the playing field isn't level and Nokia is the OEM that will always be favored by Microsoft, then we don't want to play.

As much as people see the 1 billion dollar loss Samsung suffered to Apple as reason to signal the end of Android, the 1 billion a year payments to the special child Nokia is even more toxic to Windows Phone being a multi-OEM platform. Yes, Google now owns Motorola too. But they are keeping them as a wholly owned but separate subsidiary and using Motos patents to go on the offensive against Apple. Which makes Android OEMs happy. They are still letting other companies make Nexus devices and still not charging licensing fees. So Android will continue to be number 1.

But when it comes to platforms that you can really use how you want to use them with whatever services you want, the only alternative to Android will be BB 10.

The other two, iOS and Windows Phone are both walled gardens that lock you into that camps services.

So Maybe there will be 4 platforms but there will be two in each camp.

Android and BB 10 for people who want to customize the experience to their liking and who can share files via bluetooth or NFC

and iOS and Windows users who are stuck using iTunes and Xbox services.
    09-15-12 08:12 AM
    Provided Windows 8 (on desktops/laptops/tablets) isn't a mess when its released, I think the synergy between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will push WP 8 into the #3 spot. The fact that RIM is missing Christmas 2012 with BB 10 is another factor.
    09-15-12 08:21 AM
    As I see it, RIM's only chance to be in third place is just right
    Genius marketing process. This will restore the BlackBerry users who have left for IOS and Android back home.

I personally buy BlackBerry 10 because of loyalty to RIM.
    WP8 definitely going to be a strong contender.

I do not know about it only three operating systems can live and fourth fall.
    If RIM and MS will bite into Apple and Google may be here a strong competition between the four competing.
    09-15-12 08:23 AM
    Never encountered a fan of WP... it seems to me that people are using it just because its out there... its on the phones they like the looks of...
    09-15-12 08:32 AM
    I'll rehash what I said on WPCentral, as I don't really see it mentioned.

When I saw the second image I immediately thought Android. I'm not sure whether that will play well for BlackBerry. If it plays in their favour (people think it's Android so buy it and then take a liking to it) then WP8 is toast. If it doesn't play out in BB's favour though, then we've got it.
    Copied word for word, but I need to say more here.

Seriously, no matter what MS do, if people buy it because they think BB10 is Android, and take a liking to it, then WP8 is going down. Devs will stop developing for WP8 no matter how much cash Nokia throws their way, because everyone on WP8 will migrate to the other 3 OS's, and even I'll have to. Unfortunately, WP8's success depends on RIM more than it does MS. BB10's fate also depends on RIM more than MS. The ball's in RIM's court, can they seize it or will they bluff it?

Never encountered a fan of WP... it seems to me that people are using it just because its out there... its on the phones they like the looks of...
    Hello, you've just met your first fan of WP! I tried it because it's out there, immediately took a liking to it. Love the OS, love the way it functions, and I love the integration to my Xbox scene.

P.S. it feels weird being back here having since migrated to WP... I feel as though I shouldn't be here...
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 09-15-12 at 08:38 AM.
    09-15-12 08:33 AM
    I personally think the market will be fragmented more than most people think...

Apple will most likely start losing market share in a couple years from the perpetual release of "just another iPhone"

Android will probably become more bloated and slow in comparison to other OS's

WP will pick up more for simple convenience

BB10 will pick up more because they'll have the only completely modernized OS

HP is gonna put skin in the game again apparently

There are a whole bunch of factors to weigh in... Technically the market is still young...
    mud314 likes this.
    09-15-12 09:23 AM

Office365 currently works on the PlayBook and even in the 9900 browser, so I expect BB10 will support it as well.
    09-15-12 10:04 AM
    Well I do Think While Samsung and HTc are dead serious about Wp8 now. HTC stated they are going big with wp8. and Samsung are distancing themselves from google to MS. makes sense. Samsung or HTC will release Wp8 versions of their android phones. Samsung will pretty likely release an Ativ Note
    HTC has to go big with something. They made a great reputation with MS products (WM), then never seemed to do much with the switch to Android. They need a kick start and, with a successful past history with MS, WP8 sounds like it might help. On the other hand, with RIM openly courting phonemakers to license BB10, that might be HTC's salvation.

The one thing we know for sure is that there are "indicators", but anything we say is really nothing more than an "educated guess", the only question being who's more educated and who's more guessing.
    09-15-12 10:08 AM
    Please stop with the wp argument. First it was wp 7 that was a game changer, now it's wp8. What is the compelling reasons to buy this phone? other then MS throwing everything at it and expecting it to stick. I think ms is in a bigger predicament then rim is. Rim is reverse engineering their customer, in that they are bringing people from the smart phone to the tablet and eventually the mobile computing platform. MS is faced with doing it the other way from the computer os to the phone. This may prove to be more difficult to sell.
    09-15-12 10:13 AM
    At what point in time? By Jan 1, 2013 or by Jan 1, 2015?
    09-15-12 10:41 AM
    HTC has to go big with something. They made a great reputation with MS products (WM), then never seemed to do much with the switch to Android. They need a kick start and, with a successful past history with MS, WP8 sounds like it might help. On the other hand, with RIM openly courting phonemakers to license BB10, that might be HTC's salvation.

The one thing we know for sure is that there are "indicators", but anything we say is really nothing more than an "educated guess", the only question being who's more educated and who's more guessing.
    HTC is a clone maker.
    09-15-12 10:42 AM
    I choose Android and went with SG III recently. So far Windows 8 phone looks nice, but I think both Android and WP 8 will have similar user experience. Android market seems to have more useful apps.
    09-15-12 10:45 AM
    Please stop with the wp argument. First it was wp 7 that was a game changer, now it's wp8. What is the compelling reasons to buy this phone? other then MS throwing everything at it and expecting it to stick. I think ms is in a bigger predicament then rim is. Rim is reverse engineering their customer, in that they are bringing people from the smart phone to the tablet and eventually the mobile computing platform. MS is faced with doing it the other way from the computer os to the phone. This may prove to be more difficult to sell.
    But if you pony up the extra cash for the x86 tablet, those Windows programs you already own will run on your tablet...

It's the simplicity that's going to push Win 8 and WP 8 into a contenders spot...

I will be buying a BB10 phone and an LTE Playbook... I will also be buying the Surface Pro...
    09-15-12 10:56 AM
    I understand the comment that WP8 is polarizing that folks like it or they don't but I think you can say that for W8 as well. More and more as W8 computers are sold and folks get used to the tiles and that desktop, the phone will appear to be just another extension as the tablet will be as well. The 3 will support each other in this regards, at least that is what MS is hoping here - its an even bigger change of it's eco-system than RIM is attempting. Windows is still the most used OS on the desktop - if consumers warm to W8 I think the tabs and the phones will by extension benefit. If W8 is the next Vista - all bets are off.
    09-15-12 11:06 AM
    Windows seems to be that big old Cadillac with everything in it, except practicality

I'm no expert or an analyst, but I look at my own use as a consumer and I have completely dropped the laptop, from using it daily to now only at tax time. I have a tablet and a smartphone and they give me all I can handle, as far as tech time goes. It's funny in that the phone/tablet has limited my access to certain things that I use to use on my laptop and now don't seem to want or need any longer. Its like I went from a luxury car with all the bells and whistles, to a mini cooper with just enough the satisfy me. I don't speak for everyone and I am getting on in age so that may explain it.
    antonnin and jonno_atamaniuk like this.
    09-15-12 11:25 AM
    I personally think the market will be fragmented more than most people think...

Apple will most likely start losing market share in a couple years from the perpetual release of "just another iPhone"

Android will probably become more bloated and slow in comparison to other OS's

WP will pick up more for simple convenience

BB10 will pick up more because they'll have the only completely modernized OS

HP is gonna put skin in the game again apparently

There are a whole bunch of factors to weigh in... Technically the market is still young...
    The market is still young and growing. I believe four or more OS will be in the norm. Only apple and Google spin doctors say otherwise. The smartphone market will be a monster which is why all these "late comers" like Microsoft ,dell , HP are jumping in. The game is still early but apple and Google are afraid and hate competition. The market will grow to billions of users and cb is a small sample size of users and We have four OS.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-15-12 12:58 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD