07-21-11 07:08 PM
87 ... 234
tools
    Being a BB also has its drawbacks, does it not? Saying, "It is a BB!" is not nearly the spark that it used to be. And, say what you wish, but Android HAS clearly become a bigger name than BB. Perhaps that isn't the case as much in RIM's native Canada, but it clearly has elsewhere.

As for the form factor, sure, it has its appeal... to a pretty stagnant portion of the market - i.e. mainly current users, a good percentage of whom have indicated, via various polls, that they are ready to leave RIM behind.

Your selling points help demonstrate the point that I've been making: At the end of the day, there is little to distinguish this being just another BB, in the eyes of the average consumer.
    Android to the informed public has a name
    To the uninformed they know Blackberry, they don't know RIM, they know iPhone , they don't know iOS, they know Sony they know Motorola, half because they make other products. In the consumer space people don't know what OS they have on their computer, they always have "the new one". That is it.
    We will never agree on this topic, you are down on what you believe RIM represents, I am up on what RIM represents.
    And our veiws of consumers are different, I generally sell, and have research into middle class to middle high class population in North America, demographics of 35-45 and 60+ being where when I am working I am talking to, and my experiences in consumer sales. Though it is business to business I appreciate most. And where the Blackberry form factor still dominates

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Daisy1960 likes this.
    07-20-11 10:02 AM
    I guess it will not distinguish itself from the competition with having a better browser, liquid graphics (whatever that is but is suppose to be a smoother faster experience), the hardware isn't 2 years old but isn't current. The newest droid isn't current either and probably sucks up more battery.

As far apps go it may not compete there either if you care about silly stuff but think it will have most of the apps people use. And for blackberry users it may have enough to keep them around instead of switching. Will it bring new customers? Probably but not in hoards.
    No it will "not distinguish itself from the competition with having a better browser, liquid graphics". No one knows what liquid graphics are and the 9900 is unlikely to offer the best browsing experiance.

It will appeal to hardcore traditional BB users because it will be the best BB RIM has ever released. I doubt it will pull in new users though.
    07-20-11 11:20 AM
    And have you noticed she chastises me when I attempt to do the same..

women.
    Well that's because you're so confrontational, and she's so, you know, hot.

07-20-11 11:53 AM
    LOL!!!! Ask Branta and PK how hot headed I am!!!! They both know!!!!
    07-20-11 12:53 PM
    Holy flippin' Son of a *******! That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! (No seriously)

07-20-11 11:21 PM
    Any feature is a selling point, since bb's aren't selling anywhere well, except in parts of the world where they're pretty much giving them away, a keyboard doesn't seem to be something that keeps someone or brings anyone else in

The BlackBerry keyboards are what is pulling me in oh yeh and my wife, together with security and also design I think they look fab not just a slab of boring glass, very tacktile and by the way (i hate abbreviations) the OS looks great too.
    h20work likes this.
    07-21-11 07:22 AM
    If I might drag this thread back to its original topic, I frankly think the thread title is laughable. From what I've seen of OS 7 on videos of the 9900, it doesn't set the bar high at all -- it's not at all distinct from OS 6. If there is anything different, it's due to the improved hardware specs (fluidity, etc.).
    howarmat, psufan32 and katiepea like this.
    07-21-11 07:55 AM
    If I might drag this thread back to its original topic, I frankly think the thread title is laughable. From what I've seen of OS 7 on videos of the 9900, it doesn't set the bar high at all -- it's not at all distinct from OS 6. If there is anything different, it's due to the improved hardware specs (fluidity, etc.).
    See: every iteration of iOS
    grover5 likes this.
    07-21-11 08:19 AM
    What you see of OS7 is the UI, which works pretty well as it is, so why significantly change it. According to the lucky few who have shared their experiences with it here, it does set the bar high. I think hands-on experience of people who have actually used it carries just a little more weight than what you or I see from this side of the interwebs.

07-21-11 08:41 AM
    What you see of OS7 is the UI, which works pretty well as it is, so why significantly change it. According to the lucky few who have shared their experiences with it here, it does set the bar high. I think hands-on experience of people who have actually used it carries just a little more weight than what you or I see from this side of the interwebs.

What do you see different in the UI between iOS 3 and iOS4? Or to iOS5. I know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference by watching them on a youtube video, yet each time a new OS comes out with a slightly different "REVOLUTIONARY" feature (), people sell their kidneys to get them.

Supposedly "biggest recession" for xx number of years, but Apple comes out with a new toy and sell record units.
    Guatiao likes this.
    07-21-11 09:44 AM

Admittedly, those who have used it can provide better insight, but even from just the video one can tell that it's a refresh, to borrow car industry lingo. It's not a new model. And set the bar high for whom, and in relation to what? I don't think other mobile OSes would have much trouble clearing the bar. No doubt OS 7 is an improvement over 6.0, and there are some cool features added, but no one was expecting that it would be worse. I'm quite sure it's the best damned BB OS ever, but it's not a quantum leap. That, of course, will presumably come with QNX.
    07-21-11 12:52 PM
    The topic of this thread is BlackBerry OS 7 and whether or not it sets the bar high or not. It's not about any one particular person or a group of them. It's not about anything but OS 7. Any posts deviating from said topic will be deleted from this post forward and if it continues we'll just shut the thread down.
    I understand everyone has their opinion, but it's not going to hijack a thread and turn in te CB world war xxxx. Thanks in advance.
    Guatiao likes this.
    07-21-11 07:08 PM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD