Can they walk the talk in the real world that is the real question.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    06-28-11 12:30 AM
    ohhhhhh I can't wait to get my grubby little fingers on the new devices..... bring on the T2
    06-28-11 12:37 AM
    well having hands in exp with 9900 loaded with 7.0.0.100 it was quite impressive but but the small screen does make pinching not too usable. i was still using keyboard more than touch. but could be habit as well
    06-28-11 12:55 AM
    Only problem is the 9900 will be competing with the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 4.
    I'm with you on that. A little too early to call IMO
    06-28-11 08:20 AM
    ohhhhhh I can't wait to get my grubby little fingers on the new devices..... bring on the T2
    wash your hands dear!
    06-28-11 08:31 AM
    well having hands in exp with 9900 loaded with 7.0.0.100 it was quite impressive but but the small screen does make pinching not too usable. i was still using keyboard more than touch. but could be habit as well

did you ever own a Treo?
    I will agree that the screen on the 9900 is small as a touch screen, but it is worth Noting the HTC Touch (circa 2007) was the same screen size being an all touch device, as well as the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini (circa 2010) was even smaller with a 2.55" screen

I have a torch and I'm still 90% trackpad usage, I really believe it has to do with habits and how you use your device, I rarely have 2 hands free and if I do, I've pulled out the playbook, so single hand holding+navigation the trackpad > all touch screen
    06-28-11 08:37 AM
    All that matters is that RIM provides a browser that is in the same class as iOS and Android. They do not have to top all the benchmarks. They just need to remove the dated browser as a negative for others to sell against.

If they do this and can get enough mainstream apps support, they'll be in good shape.

Oh.. and get this thing *released*. That too.
    06-28-11 03:57 PM
    did you ever own a Treo?
    I will agree that the screen on the 9900 is small as a touch screen, but it is worth Noting the HTC Touch (circa 2007) was the same screen size being an all touch device, as well as the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini (circa 2010) was even smaller with a 2.55" screen

I have a torch and I'm still 90% trackpad usage, I really believe it has to do with habits and how you use your device, I rarely have 2 hands free and if I do, I've pulled out the playbook, so single hand holding+navigation the trackpad > all touch screen
    I had a Treo. Good combo, and best keyboard ever IMO. The Moto Droid Pro has a 3.1" screen, which is quite nice.
    06-28-11 04:06 PM
    did you ever own a Treo?

I never owned a Treo, but I've been a PDA user. Palm IIIc, Palm V, Handspring Visor, Visor Prism, and **** I still have a Sony Clie with a battery that craps out on me after 10min lol. 32bit screen was the **** back then lol.

But when I really tried using touch on the 9900 (I mean, its the ****... TOUCH :O!), I was missing links a lot of times. You'd have to pinch zoom to accurately click a link. Back then I had a stylus so stuff can be small. The 9900 screen is great :O feels great to hold but... it's just... I don't know, habit is one thing but... IMO, it's a little too small to make touch usable :3

Glad the kept the trackpad. I kinda need it for sure :O!
    06-30-11 02:41 PM
    minimal checkerboarding? i've never seen any of my android phones checkerboard, ever not one time...
    06-30-11 05:50 PM
    this was posted a couple months ago so i will be curious to see it in use. it doesnt say what sites they used which i find odd. Also i find it odd that they are boosting a javascript test when clearly that slows down the PB browser a ton! lol
    i'm curious too
    07-18-11 07:32 AM
    I don't care if it beats apple or android as long as it isn't too far behind and doesn't make for an excruciating experience waiting on it and the hour glass.

So far it's only excruciating on my tour sometimes to me so for me I'm sure it'll be just fine.
    07-18-11 07:43 AM
    I never owned a Treo, but I've been a PDA user. Palm IIIc, Palm V, Handspring Visor, Visor Prism, and **** I still have a Sony Clie with a battery that craps out on me after 10min lol. 32bit screen was the **** back then lol.

But when I really tried using touch on the 9900 (I mean, its the ****... TOUCH :O!), I was missing links a lot of times. You'd have to pinch zoom to accurately click a link. Back then I had a stylus so stuff can be small. The 9900 screen is great :O feels great to hold but... it's just... I don't know, habit is one thing but... IMO, it's a little too small to make touch usable :3

Glad the kept the trackpad. I kinda need it for sure :O!
    So the screen is not to small to use pinch zooming. What about app launching from the main screen?
    07-18-11 07:56 AM
    it is nice to hear all these good things about os 7 but its about time we had the proof in our hands i agree matt
    07-18-11 09:08 AM
    N4BB had an 18 minute+ video previewing the 9900. Aside from a touch screen (which appears to really only be useful to scroll) and a faster processor, it is pretty much the same phone as the 9780. The idea that OS7 phones are something revolutionary is hardly the case. At the end of the day, they are still the same old BBs, just with a little more juice under the good.

Now, I fully expect that extra juice to be enough to satisfy the faithful Crackberry-ers, but, really, what selling points does the 9900 provide?
    Guess there is none for you. I guess the iphone4/5 are just juiced up from the previous then too. Have you read anything about OS7 and the changes? Nothing real big but some good stuff too.
    07-18-11 01:32 PM
    Not really an Apple guy, but, yes, the iPhone 4 was basically a juiced up version of the iPhone 3G.

The honest question is this:

If someone comes into a store, looking for a new phone, what can the sales person add to the sales pitch? "Um, it has a faster processor. The icons have been changed a bit."

Lets call it what it is: OS6 on a faster phone. To call this OS7 reeks of desperation from RIM.
    Now I don't sell phones but if a person came into a store I WAS selling phones this would be how it goes

What do you use your phone for
    -> I text a lot
    -> some internet searching
    -> some talking
    Do you like all touch screen
    ->Yes ---------------- I show 9810, iPhone4, Latest Androids, Windows 7s
    -> NO ----------------- I show 9900, Androids, Windows 7's

Now I break the devices down by
    Published Battery life
    Cost of owner ship ( if on Rogers it is $10 more per month to own anything but a blackberry if you want minimal data)
    and have them use the keyboard

the 9900 IF it's keyboard is equal to the 9000 the keyboard will sell the device to a first time smartphone buyer
    when asked about specific apps one would have to be clear that is where the device is lacking, but RIM has an Excellent twitter, facebook, MSN, yahoo, and gtalk app native.

the device will continue theoretically to have compression built into the device keeping data costs down, if user knows people with blackberry's they will be able to use BBM

User will get the best of the Keyboard, and a good camera (not as good as the torch it seems) and a long standing brand name with minimal published comprises.

Will have MASS storagemode, and will have user themes for customizing without the need to do any "hacking"

it is what is called a "turn key" device.
    07-18-11 04:28 PM
    DeR...you ARE selling phones here, you're just not getting a fair commission!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-11 04:36 PM
    And, for better or worse, most customers will be zoning you out the moment you start getting technical with them.

The point is, the 9900 doesn't really provide any additional selling points above the 9650/9700 phones other than a faster processor and a very small touch screen.
    Have you even bothered to look at the differences? Guess not since you failed to mention the substantially larger keyboard....

07-18-11 05:23 PM
    Is a larger keyboard really a selling point? It's still a QWERTY keyboard... a BB is a BB is a BB.
    Seriously??? I was going to say more, but that pretty much sums it up.
    07-18-11 05:42 PM
    Seriously??? I was going to say more, but that pretty much sums it up.
    Just look at post history....
    07-18-11 05:52 PM
    DeR...you ARE selling phones here, you're just not getting a fair commission!

I will Admit I have sold probably 20 or so Blackberry's to people and a half dozen playbooks while in business meetings, or getting my taxes done,

and you know what all I ever get is PIN's for help! hahaha
    07-18-11 05:53 PM
    Is a larger keyboard really a selling point? It's still a QWERTY keyboard... a BB is a BB is a BB.
    Well if that's the way you're going to be, then an Android is an Android is an Android. There, I said it.

But if a significantly faster processor and optimized OS isn't enough, exactly what do you think would be a selling point?
    07-18-11 05:57 PM
    Well if that's the way you're going to be, then an Android is an Android is an Android. There, I said it.

But if a significantly faster processor and optimized OS isn't enough, exactly what do you think would be a selling point?
    Duh!!!!

4G is the only selling point
    07-18-11 06:35 PM
    Says one of the biggest BB fanboys...
    I have no qualms of my visible appreciation for what blackberry brings to the table,

I also am quick to bring up what I feel they do wrong, and have admitted when I am wrong openly

I'm still more of a Windows Fanboy than I'll ever be of a RIM fanboy, if Windows Mobile had a quality hardware form factor I'd be all over it.
    07-18-11 07:41 PM
    And, for better or worse, most customers will be zoning you out the moment you start getting technical with them.
    Then that's an ignorant/careless customer who will regret their lack of care for researching before dropping $100s on a device they'll be using daily.

^ Sums up your reasoning skills.

Stop ignoring the other drastic improvements in the device. If you're not interested move on to another phone that suits you. It's really not that difficult.
    07-18-11 07:50 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD