I commented on the blog post about this, but I wanted to know what others thought of my comment regarding the name change to OS7. We have seen mentions of both OS6.1 and OS6.1 Lite.

The way I see it:

OS6.1 will now be OS7
    OS6.1 lite will now be known as OS6.1
    OS7 (QNX) will now be OS8

Obviously this is all speculation, but it would make much more sense than having a "lite" version.

Current OS6 devices will be upgradable to OS6.1 and all new devices will be on OS7. There is no reason for my current Bold to have NFC support, compass support, extra graphics support and the other upgrades that my phones hardware wont be able to take advantage of.
    04-27-11 05:11 PM
    That's a logical thought, actually. I had an additional thought about it from a purely marketing perspective. I'm thinking that they're trying to avoid the QNX release (which will presumably be huge news for them) having a '7' number, which might make it "blend in" with Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 to the average person on the street.
    04-27-11 05:33 PM
    Current OS6 devices will be upgradable to OS6.1 and all new devices will be on OS7. There is no reason for my current Bold to have NFC support, compass support, extra graphics support and the other upgrades that my phones hardware wont be able to take advantage of.
    Yeah, this is what I thought too. OS6.x will be left to current phones and OS7 will be the new devices.

I think RIM is doing this to cause less confusion as to what phones will be compatible with which OS version. Making OS7 for the new phones, people will more likely understand this is for the new phones only.
    04-27-11 05:41 PM
    What is 6.1 lite?

All us 9550 owners long awaited OS6 lite and look how that turned out.

I think they should call the new OS 6.5, since its nothing too major and leave OS7 for QNX. I personally dont care, but if what we currently know as 6.1 is now 7, i think the blogs will tear RIM apart as usual for such a small change for such big labeling.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 04-27-11 at 05:53 PM.
    04-27-11 05:48 PM
    6.1 lite was seen on one of the device leaks. I think it was one of the new Curves that only had 528mb memory.
    04-27-11 06:57 PM
    What is 6.1 lite?
    I think 6.1 lite is going to be a version of OS6 for devices without some of the hardware features needed for 6.1 (accelerometer, magnetometer).

Just a guess tho...
    04-27-11 08:16 PM
    I'd wager that they will scrap the OS567 ect with qnx altogether. Its a totally new OS. I vote calling it BBQ cuz hopefully it smoke the competition lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 08:20 PM
    I cant decide if it would make sense to call it QNX 1 or BB8 when it comes out. You have to remember they started at 1 for the tablet OS.

Or maybe start at 10 to really stress the difference.

No matter how they do it, people will rip on RIM for their decision and it will still kick ***!
    04-27-11 08:26 PM
    Yeah who cares what they call it! Just get it on the BT and release the thing already!!
    04-27-11 09:14 PM
    I commented on the blog post about this, but I wanted to know what others thought of my comment regarding the name change to OS7. We have seen mentions of both OS6.1 and OS6.1 Lite.

The way I see it:

OS6.1 will now be OS7
    OS6.1 lite will now be known as OS6.1
    OS7 (QNX) will now be OS8

Obviously this is all speculation, but it would make much more sense than having a "lite" version.

All this makes a lot of sense. There's been talk from the RIM execs that the release previously known as 6.1 was going to be an overhaul. I Think more than anything they want customers to know that it's more than just a facelift, which is what 6 to 6.1 sounds like. OS6 to OS7 suggests major differences, and considering the hardware it will be running on, I think the new naming convention is warranted and should avoid a lot of confusion around what versions of the OS will run on which devices. Smart move, even if it is just a different shade of lipstick.
    04-27-11 10:02 PM
    Good post, makes sense to me.

From available info, I'd expect 6.1 to be a modest but noticeable improvement for existing devices. That said, liquid graphics, the stuff of transitions and kinetic scrolling, is mostly important for touch UI, where responsiveness to touch is essential to an engaging user experience. On a device utilizing a trackpad, the interaction is indirect and expectations are not as high.

I kind of wish RIM just upped the specs on a successor to the 9780 because I like the compact form factor, even if it was left non-touch. The Curve might be that but I'm not keen on the keyboard.

If only RIM truly delivers on the promises seen on the leaked docs, I think they'd be justified calling it 7.
    04-27-11 10:30 PM
    having a '7' number, which might make it "blend in" with Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7 to the average person on the street.
    I hope nobody connects BBOS7 to WP7!
    04-27-11 10:42 PM
    I hope nobody connects BBOS7 to WP7!
    You'd hope not, but you have to remember that people like us who hang around on forums like this are generally a little more informed than the average person on the street. I've had to educate people who are otherwise pretty smart about android as an OS vs Droid as a phone. There are many people out there to whom a phone is a phone, and all of these numbers are just confusing.

I was just tossing out an idea, though frankly, I think the OP's idea has more merit. Carry on!
    04-28-11 11:31 AM
    I don't think the average person would know or go buy a phone just for a specific OS. I doubt "normal" people would get confused about BB OS7. I think to most casual people, its just "a new BlackBerry".

04-28-11 01:34 PM
    I'd like to hear Kevin's input on this.
    04-28-11 01:37 PM
    I'd like to hear Kevin's input on this.
    m.crackberry.com/blackberry-6-1-now-blackberry-7-and-no-it-not-qnx-based

04-28-11 01:45 PM
    m.crackberry.com/blackberry-6-1-now-blackberry-7-and-no-it-not-qnx-based

I meant on my comments about still having 6.1 for older phones and 7.0 for new phones.
    04-28-11 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD