Because any Tom, Richard, or Harry and edit WikiPedia. There is no uniformity or proof that the statements on that page are 100% in fact truth. I could edit the "smart phone" page to say " a smart phone is any phone that will wipe your **** after you ****."... and it would stick.... then you'd have some knuckle head @ BGR doing a 3 page rant on how we all thought Smartphones were so uncool before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I remember reading this in a book a while ago, which your post reminded me about.
    02-18-10 01:44 PM
    When local colleges and universities refuse to accept their references in papers.... it's a major no-no in my book. in fact my sister currently has one professor that has said " if you site one Wikipedia Source in a paper, you will fail that paper and have 10% taken off your GPA."

but hey - im not in college so what do i care.
    They arent accepted because they arent academically reviewed, Joe Blow could put anything he wanted is basically why.

I've used Wikipedia before, but you just have to be slick and use the references at the bottom pertaining to whatever info you drag out of it and use that as your source. Never gotten busted and i've had those Nazi "USE WIKIPEDIA I PHAIL U! LULZ" english professors.

Thats still no where near as bad as my old journalism professor...1 spelling mistake was 5% off your paper, and if you missed more than 3 you automatically failed the paper.
    02-18-10 03:38 PM
    They arent accepted because they arent academically reviewed, Joe Blow could put anything he wanted is basically why.
    And that is the exact reason i do not trust it .... thank you for supporting my theory.
    02-19-10 08:00 AM
    And that is the exact reason i do not trust it .... thank you for supporting my theory.
    Still wikipedia is spot on 98% of the time (check out some of the science pages or military stuff). Its definitely the go to place to get a general feel of the content and overview, but you'd still need to do your own research to get in-depth with it

02-19-10 09:16 AM
    rim better not come out with an os 6.0 that brings nothing new to the table that we have already seen.
    for rim, a dramatic overhaul of the current os. is the only cure to their problems.
    02-19-10 11:25 PM
    rim better not come out with an os 6.0 that brings nothing new to the table that we have already seen.
    for rim, a dramatic overhaul of the current os. is the only cure to their problems.
    That, my friend, is a double-edged sword. When I had a Centro, at first, apps were a'plenty, support was great, forums were active, etc. When webOS come out, almost everything under Garnet came to a screeching halt. My Centro started feeling old and dated faster and faster. It was left behind. Everything was all about webOS. And it's the biggest reason I upgraded my phone.

Point being, if they did a COMPLETE overhaul - similar to Palm - then a lot of current BB owners may start to feel left out.

Trust me, we all want something that is quite different with a lot of improvements. And yes, it would be exciting if it was a complete rebuild, butI just started this 2-year contract. I'll be frakkin ticked off if they do this. Yeah, I'm selfish like that.
    02-20-10 08:58 AM
    Ha ha ha... 6.0.

I can't get 5.0 released from my carrier.
    02-20-10 09:29 AM
    Why because the UI was slightly changed?
    Good point. I think that's why I thought it was a big jump. I dunno what went on with the internals. For the Storm...4.7 really got a lot smoother in the higher builds leading to 5.0. So I'd say the transition between the Verizon OFFICIAL versions of those were pretty big.
    02-20-10 04:09 PM
    That, my friend, is a double-edged sword. When I had a Centro, at first, apps were a'plenty, support was great, forums were active, etc. When webOS come out, almost everything under Garnet came to a screeching halt. My Centro started feeling old and dated faster and faster. It was left behind. Everything was all about webOS. And it's the biggest reason I upgraded my phone.

Point being, if they did a COMPLETE overhaul - similar to Palm - then a lot of current BB owners may start to feel left out.

Trust me, we all want something that is quite different with a lot of improvements. And yes, it would be exciting if it was a complete rebuild, butI just started this 2-year contract. I'll be frakkin ticked off if they do this. Yeah, I'm selfish like that.
    But eventually you just have to suck it up and do it or youll become Palm with a 2% marketshare and customers complaining how antique the OS is compared to everything else.

RIM is very soon going to have to take the risk and redo the OS. There's plenty of BB support out there since it runs Java like tons of dumbphones, so the support wont go away like Garnet.

All it will mean is if you want the new OS you get a new phone, if you dont keep using what you are. There are plenty of people still using Treos and Centros and are happy using them. Its not like they shut off once WebOS was released. The old school and gov users wont care one bit since most dont come to Crackberry getting OS leaks, most arent even running 5.0 likely since theyre older devices. My dad works in the US gov and still uses an issued 8830, and couldnt care less about new BBs or OSs. Most of those corporate users use email the most and arent tech savy to care about new OS support etc, they ll continue to use what theyre given.
    02-20-10 04:53 PM
    I like the current OS. There are additions that I would like, but I hate the android OS and WebOS so I don't want to see them change too much of what they currently have.
    02-20-10 09:56 PM
    What you mean "with webOS"?
    WebOS is the OS on the Palm Pre and Pixi
    02-21-10 09:39 AM
    Same thing was said about 5.0. We know how that turned out

5.0 really wasn't all THAT bad. Sure it's definetly not up to par with the other smartphones but it's better then 4.7
    02-21-10 09:41 AM
    Yeah, you're correct, anyone can edit it. Just like anyone can post on a message board and claim fact from nowhere. (Sincerely not meant as sarcasm, simply an example.)

However, when it is fact, it is cited. And if you spend a bit of time on Wikipedia, you'll find that a large majority of the pages have citations for a good portion of the information listed.

And when edits are made, they must be approved. If you edited that page to say that, it would be removed in moments. I edited the page for my birthday once to add myself, and within 2 minutes it was gone again.

You'll find Wikipedia is a far more reliable source than the rap it's been given, but it's definitely not 100% accurate. Expecting that though, is unrealistic. But once that's been accepted, ... Wikipedia is incredibly addicting.
    Thank you!! Not to mention..if you post something stupid like "the moon is made of cheese" I believe they track your ip adress and don't let you edit posts anymore.
    02-21-10 12:34 PM
    I am hoping against hope that it will be hardware-backwards compatible. Hey, I can dream, right?
    It will be like 5.0, it will first appear on new devices and later it will show up on older devices, although how fast that latter part happens is another matter because clearly the carriers will be more interested in new devices than updating older ones.

Ha ha ha... 6.0.

I can't get 5.0 released from my carrier.
    If you can't wait then there are leaked versions of 5.0 to use, but sadly for us as customers there is less eagerness from carriers to spend time approving 5.0 on older devices than to releasing new hardware from rim and other handset makers. On the plus side, at least the support is coming eventually, it seems like some 1.5 and 1.6 android devices have already been cast aside in only a few months when it comes to upgrades.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 02-22-10 at 03:31 AM.
    02-22-10 03:27 AM
    I like the current OS. There are additions that I would like, but I hate the android OS and WebOS so I don't want to see them change too much of what they currently have.
    If you only read forums and blogs then you might think that you were a lone voice with an opinion like this and you will no doubt get criticised by some on here for even daring to make such a comment, but the reality is that where some people dismiss the blackberry os as outdated or obsolete, many more people see it is familiar and want additions and improvements rather than a total change and if you look at their ever increasing sales it does seem that consumers aren't moving away from RIM.

It's always the nature of the blogs etc. that they need things to move faster than makes sense commercially, these days you even see complaints about the iphone because their updates don't match up to the outlandish rumours and hype that preceded their introduction.

Revolutionary changes make better headlines, but unless you have no existing market share to worry about then the thing that works best for your customers are evolutionary changes, building on what they already know and like without expecting them to relearn things each new device.
    02-22-10 03:41 AM
    If you only read forums and blogs then you might think that you were a lone voice with an opinion like this and you will no doubt get criticised by some on here for even daring to make such a comment, but the reality is that where some people dismiss the blackberry os as outdated or obsolete, many more people see it is familiar and want additions and improvements rather than a total change and if you look at their ever increasing sales it does seem that consumers aren't moving away from RIM.

It's always the nature of the blogs etc. that they need things to move faster than makes sense commercially, these days you even see complaints about the iphone because their updates don't match up to the outlandish rumours and hype that preceded their introduction.

Revolutionary changes make better headlines, but unless you have no existing market share to worry about then the thing that works best for your customers are evolutionary changes, building on what they already know and like without expecting them to relearn things each new device.
    I agree with you 100%.
    02-22-10 05:45 AM
    I just got this tweet from bbleaks...
    I wonder why bbleaks hasn't posted one single thing about this on their own website yet - now nearly a week later...

...at least give us some clarification if nothing else.
    02-22-10 10:02 AM

well said, and i completely agree. I am one that just wants additions and improvements to the OS. Maybe some minor visual tweaks. I don't want some flashy webOS thing. That is not BB, and I think RIM knows it never should be...

I am content with the OS (of course I'm salivating at the thought of the new WebKit browser), Apps get me more excited, bring on the better Apps!
    02-22-10 11:51 AM
    There's nothing wrong with making things flashier, the crucial thing is that usability needs to be improved in the process, it shouldn't just be a cosmetic change for the sake of it.

The webkit browser is a much needed upgrade, along with that they clearly need to improve things like memory management and 3rd party developer support, but starting over completely is not the answer.
    02-22-10 12:29 PM
    There's nothing wrong with making things flashier, the crucial thing is that usability needs to be improved in the process, it shouldn't just be a cosmetic change for the sake of it.

The webkit browser is a much needed upgrade, along with that they clearly need to improve things like memory management and 3rd party developer support, but starting over completely is not the answer.
    But starting over is the only way that RIM is going to make any progress with OS development. We've all seen it happen with the transistion from 4.6/7 to 5.0. The early builds were bug ridden and even approaching .500 it seems everytime they fix a problem another 2 come up and fill its place.

The current OS really has reached end of life as far as development terms can take it. Right now the only way RIM can innovate is to start from stratch and redesign OS6 from the ground up.

A better base is always a better thing, and they could finally create an OS that could use more than 512mb of ram without crashing and burning
    02-22-10 04:31 PM
    I love the two discussions about Smartphone OS's and Wikipedia.

I personally love 5.0, Once you discover that OS 5.0 has SCREEN TRANSITIONS it refreshes the feel of the entire device. Some widgets would be nice. Like a native weather widget or something. But I think the Blackberry OS is fine, it just needs to simplify some of its menu's and roll out that new browser.
    02-22-10 09:43 PM
    Like everyone else I'm ready to see the revamped OS and check out any new features
    02-25-10 09:35 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD