I just got my ATT Bold 9900. Love it. Keyboard amazing. My first BB with touchscreen and it makes the whole experience even more amazing, especially to be able to touch and correct spelling mistakes. However I am pretty much completely disappointed with the camera. I knew it had no auto focus and featured this EDOF camera (evidently to save space), but the pictures are not good. Very soft and often slightly blurred. Overall, I don't mind as they keyboard and touch screen functionality more than make up for it.

I was wondering if there was any news about what type of cameras the new devices (OS 10) will be packing. Are they going to stick with the EDOF or go back to autofocus? Also, other than the picture software they demonstrated a few months ago, will there be any improvements to the lens/sensor?

I do like to take pics with my phone but always know that the 4s and newer android phones are taking way better video and stills and that bugs me that BB needs to be so far behind in their camera quality. I really hope their new phones will have cameras on par with the competition's current lineup. IMO, blackberry needs to give their loyal owners and new adopters phones that don't make them feel behind the curve (there is a pun there). No one aspect of the phone should be years behind the competition and megapixels or 1080p means nothing, it's the end result of the lens/sensor/AND processing. Apple has done a great job with their new lens and their color processing, the pictures look fantastic (some would say overly saturated with high contrast), but they still look great. My ipad 3rd gen pictures are almost on par with my Canon point and shoot from a year ago. I only hope the newer BB's will have good to great cameras.

I am somewhat worried that the time shift software they demonstrated a few months back is a gimmick that is meant to appease BB users when they realize that the camera on the new OS 10 devices still doesn't compare to the apples/samsungs/htcs. That would really be unforgivable.

Was anything said in the past few months regarding the new cameras?

Thanks!
    Last edited by sevoman; 06-10-12 at 01:19 PM.
    06-10-12 01:16 PM
    I think there's a post in the dev alpha section of the forum that says the dev alpha has autofocus. That means the bb10 devices will almost certainly have autofocus.

I would be very, very surprised if they didn't.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-10-12 01:34 PM
    I think there's a post in the dev alpha section of the forum that says the dev alpha has autofocus. That means the bb10 devices will almost certainly have autofocus.

I would be very, very surprised if they didn't.

the 9700's had auto focus as well, any mention of the actual quality of the dev alpha device pics?
    06-10-12 01:38 PM
    the 9700's had auto focus as well, any mention of the actual quality of the dev alpha device pics?

Not that I've found, other than that the camera is apparently 8mp.

06-11-12 10:42 AM
    Have faith my friend. I personally don't think the 9900's camera is bad at all, but lord knows I miss auto focus....but RIM is in no position to be cutting corners when BB10 drops. If they really wanna wow people, I believe they know they have to bring the hardware that will speak for itself.
    06-11-12 11:47 AM
    I'd really like to see autofocus. I hope they don't go above 8 megapixels though. 8mpx is fine and I'd rather not fill up all of my storage space with close-up pics of business cards.
    06-11-12 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD