09-22-09 02:04 AM
29 12
tools
    In networking, the ping is the smallest TCP request and it should never be blocked by a firewall (port 7, if i remember)

It is used to diagnose connection problems and to estimate route performance.

Just as a unit circle is loved by mathematicians, the ping is very interesting to a computer geek especially on mobiles because of the aggressive bandwidth charges.

According to at least one vodafone staff, ping data does count against your fair usage quota. This means you are technically charged just to see if its technically possible to be charged!
    you are correct. although more software firewalls on home PC's are blocking pings because of people getting DOS'ed. On my personal computer my software firewalls is set to block it, because I have had a Denial Of Service attack launched at my ip.
    01-26-09 02:33 PM
    Yeah, ping is completely blocked at both of my work sites for that very reason. Can't use it, and no one inside the firewalls can receive it.
    01-26-09 03:04 PM
    go into an open conversation in your blackberry messenger and click on ping contact. =]
    I thought there was some "shortcut" way to Ping someone 100 times. That was what I was after.

I think the Ping is a good idea because I really don't like listening to the notifier every time I get a message and have turned tone off...so if someone pings me first then I know they are trying to open a conversation (or pings me if I don't respond but appear available).
    01-26-09 05:33 PM
    So, no shortcut for ping?
    09-22-09 02:04 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD