are you using the BB browser or the WAP browser?
    Connect to the net and open options and see what is listed for general properties default browser, and browser configuration > browser
    options/advanced options/browser

default browser configuration - hotspot browser

default MDS browser configuration - internet browser

default wap browser - orange world

is this where you mean?
    09-24-09 03:00 PM
    options/advanced options/browser

default browser configuration - hotspot browser

default MDS browser configuration - internet browser

default wap browser - orange world

is this where you mean?
    NO. open the browser and connect to any website then click the BB menu button and select options and get the info there.
    09-24-09 03:04 PM
    NO. open the browser and connect to any website then click the BB menu button and select options and get the info there.
    It says hotspot browser, oddly, what now seems to be happening is that when I open the browser and select a web page, UMA lights up and the wifi symbol lights up and it goes there, but, when i quit the browser, it reverts back to GPRS and a greyed out wifi symbol!

EDIT: nope, that must have been a fluke, it now just doesn't find the page, rewueesting forever, I give up
    Last edited by hazwheel; 09-24-09 at 03:16 PM.
    09-24-09 03:13 PM
    Hazwheel,

I stand by my previous post - Orange don't support/enable/allow UMA on 8900.

It will never work - sorry.

Most of the people in these forums offering advice on 8900/UMA issues are in the USA on T-Mobile - a network that DOES allow UMA on a 8900.

Thanks,

Toppoff
    Hi, Orange does support UMA on the 8900. I get UMA at home with no problems at all, but i do have to admit i can never get it to work when i am out and about.

Hazwheel, i originally had the same issues as your self when i got my 8900 back in April and with help from 3CISSBB it now works perfect when at home, will try and find the link to post, hopefully it might help.
    09-24-09 03:17 PM
    Hi, Orange does support UMA on the 8900. I get UMA at home with no problems at all, but i do have to admit i can never get it to work when i am out and about.

Hazwheel, i originally had the same issues as your self when i got my 8900 back in April and with help from 3CISSBB it now works perfect when at home, will try and find the link to post, hopefully it might help.
    I have his help page, but my netgear router does not have all the options his linksys router has, appears the netgear is p.o.o at this sort of thing with the blackberry
    09-24-09 03:19 PM
    This worked for me didn't change any settings on my roter just on my BB, thanks again to 3CISSBB :-

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/so...estion-198939/
    09-24-09 03:27 PM
    It says hotspot browser, oddly, what now seems to be happening is that when I open the browser and select a web page, UMA lights up and the wifi symbol lights up and it goes there, but, when i quit the browser, it reverts back to GPRS and a greyed out wifi symbol!

EDIT: nope, that must have been a fluke, it now just doesn't find the page, rewueesting forever, I give up
    Do this with the phone connected to your wifi network,set the phone to mobile network only. enter an internet address manually and don't use a bookmark link. I need to know what listed for general properties > default browser, and browser configuration > browser.
    09-24-09 03:29 PM
    Do this with the phone connected to your wifi network,set the phone to mobile network only. enter an internet address manually and don't use a bookmark link. I need to know what listed for general properties > default browser, and browser configuration > browser.
    general properties-default browser- hotspot browser

browser configuration - hotspot browser

EDIT tried another web page - UNABLE TO FIND THE REQUESTED SERVER
    Last edited by hazwheel; 09-24-09 at 03:37 PM.
    09-24-09 03:34 PM
    general properties-default browser- hotspot browser

browser configuration - hotspot browser
    Then that website opened over WIFI, so you are browsing over wifi not mobile network
    09-24-09 03:37 PM
    Then that website opened over WIFI, so you are browsing over wifi not mobile network
    tried another website and got UNABLE TO FIND THE REQUESTED SERVER

wifi greyed out again!

clearly the phone is capable, the connection seems to keep dropping
    09-24-09 03:39 PM
    First check the WiFi Guide link in my signature then check the UMA Guide (3Cs UMA Guide) link in my signature.
    09-24-09 03:41 PM
    tried another website and got UNABLE TO FIND THE REQUESTED SERVER

wifi greyed out again!

clearly the phone is capable, the connection seems to keep dropping
    And that was with it set to mobile network only in mobile network options?
    09-24-09 03:45 PM
    And that was with it set to mobile network only in mobile network options?
    yes, didnt change anything from trying BBC - Homepage to Yahoo! UK & Ireland, worked for the first site, not the second!

it must be the connection dropping and reconnecting because its random whether it works or not
    Last edited by hazwheel; 09-24-09 at 03:54 PM.
    09-24-09 03:52 PM
    yes, didnt change anything from trying BBC - Homepage to Yahoo! UK & Ireland, worked for the first site, not the second!

it must be the connection dropping and reconnecting because its random whether it works or not
    Thats to bad you cant even use WIFI with that router and your phone. Have you checked for firmware updates for the router.
    Last edited by zwood; 09-24-09 at 04:06 PM.
    09-24-09 04:04 PM
    Thats to bad you cant even use WIFI with that router and your phone.
    It would appear not, it must be the router, i had the same problem with my first 8900. looks like i'll be using my orbit (HTC) for wifi browsing at home
    09-24-09 04:07 PM
    From your BB try: Go into manage connections, then Wi-Fi options. Highlight your home conenction and select edit. UNCHECK the box that says 'allow inter-access point handover. This will prevent your phone from trying to connect to every signal it picks up. Credit 3CISSBB

This solved greyed wifi icon and wifi dropping in & out for me.
    09-24-09 04:13 PM
    It would appear not, it must be the router, i had the same problem with my first 8900. looks like i'll be using my orbit (HTC) for wifi browsing at home
    Have you checked for firmware updates for the router.
    09-24-09 04:18 PM
    From your BB try: Go into manage connections, then Wi-Fi options. Highlight your home conenction and select edit. UNCHECK the box that says 'allow inter-access point handover. This will prevent your phone from trying to connect to every signal it picks up. Credit 3CISSBB

This solved greyed wifi icon and wifi dropping in & out for me.
    its already unchecked, problem persists....
    09-24-09 04:19 PM
    Have you checked for firmware updates for the router.
    yep, problem is, its customized by and for my isp, the firmware version has a higher number than the manufacturers own latest firmware and various forums say DONT update with the manufacturers firmware, it'll mess it up!
    09-24-09 04:21 PM
    yep, problem is, its customized by and for my isp, the firmware version has a higher number than the manufacturers own latest firmware and various forums say DONT update with the manufacturers firmware, it'll mess it up!
    Looks Like a new router should be at the top of your wish list.
    09-24-09 04:33 PM
    other than wifi, do you get GPRS or gprs lowercase?

also does it say in bb menu, options, mobile network:-
    09-24-09 04:36 PM
    New router would be nice

Yes get gprs but if wifi is on and connected but greyed out and gprs is showing, can't bowse

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 04:38 PM
    Some ISP's do that so they can control what protcols run over their network. A very shady and unethical practice. A Linksys is in order for you. I do happen to have one for sale on my eBay store page. If you're interested, here's a link.

PS: I have 100% feedback.
    09-24-09 04:43 PM
    New router would be nice

Yes get gprs but if wifi is on and connected but greyed out and gprs is showing, can't bowse

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So your only getting gprs & uma in lower case only?? not in Caps GPRS / UMA ??
    09-24-09 04:45 PM
    what does your handset say in bb menu, options, mobile network?
    09-24-09 04:47 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD