As the title says...

Blackberry: 8700
    Network: Orange UK (though the phone is SIM-Free)
    Data plan: Pay-as-you-go + BIS �5

Hi there, I've recently aquired a Blackberry, and using the Orange SIM i had already in my previous phone, i contacted Orange to purchase the BIS service for �5 that they offer.

Everything went fine, got all service books downloaded, signed up to the blackberry.orange.co.uk site, set up push email - everything working great, or so i thought...

I had made no calls or texts or MMS', yet i'd noticed my credit dropping down (i'm on PAYG) on the Orange website i can see that i've used some GPRS data, and i am being charged for it.

My understanding (from what the CS agents told me) was that once i had signed up to BIS, i would have 50MB worth of data (all WAP/email etc) per month, for a fee of �5.

There is no way in **** i have used 50MB, i've only been using it for 3 days, installed 4 apps and browsed a few sites (less than 20 pages)

Nobody at the Orange CS can explain the questions i ask. I'm hoping you kind folks can!

1) Is all data used by mobile web / email / WAP / push-services included in the BIS data plan i have?

2) If not, which services are included in the BIS plan i have?

3) Some apps i use have an option to connect via BIS or TCP/APN, but some do not. Is there a 'global' setting i can use to enable BIS-only apps to run?

4) How do i 'lock-down' my phone to only use a BIS connection?

5) My Blackberry is SIM-Free, can you recommend a network i could switch to, that gives me unlimited WAP/GPRS/BIS/Email/Push-servies for a one-off, monthly fee?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by xpdamus; 08-30-09 at 06:14 AM.
    08-30-09 06:10 AM
    Go to Option/Advanced options and TCP/IP. Check if APN is ticked and you have APN name, user and pass provided. If so that's what are you paying for. TCP/IP traffic is not included in BIS. Clear them fields, untick APN Setting Enabled and you not going to be charged again...
    08-30-09 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD