I have hundreds of contacts and a busy calendar on my Z10, and I can't afford to lose that information if I lose or brick my phone. For years, I've been backing it up to Outlook on my computer, but now that Link is no longer functioning (see the myriad complaints in the Link forum), I need another solution (vs a different brand of phone). I am clueless since I've never used anything other than Outlook. I don't really want to go to Outlook.com, since that seems to have its own problems.

Other suggestions?
    10-02-15 10:30 PM
    Use Office 365, it sync all that info with their cloud which in turn you can sync with Outlook, or use the the free Outlook.com

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 11:17 PM
    I started having same problems with Link & MS Outlook/ after much headache bought a native BB10 app called Ultimate Backup, has all the Outlook stuff + more...

Great option for those who don't want to use online & cloud services.

Options for backing up Contacts/Calendar?-img_20151003_122145.png

 Q5 / Z30
    rhitdoph and Droidophobe like this.
    10-03-15 01:54 AM
    If you want to spend some 5 bucks, try backup pro native app on BBW
    You can save to a file. Where you keep this file is up to you.

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    10-03-15 02:11 AM
    I have hundreds of contacts and a busy calendar
    Are these stored in the local DB? I.e. Aren't they synced with your email account implicitly?
    10-03-15 02:15 AM
    I started having same problems with Link & MS Outlook/ after much headache bought a native BB10 app called Ultimate Backup, has all the Outlook stuff + more...

I'll definitely check this out. Thank you.

If you want to spend some 5 bucks, try backup pro native app on BBW
    You can save to a file. Where you keep this file is up to you.
    I'll check that out too, but I need to be able to open that file on my laptop and at least see, and hopefully edit, the entries in case I lose the phone.

Are these stored in the local DB? I.e. Aren't they synced with your email account implicitly?
    No, they're in the BB DB and backed up to Outlook on my laptop. I use gmail, and I HATE Google's calendar and its saving garbage to my contacts list. This is one reason that I have a BB and not an Android phone. If I can't resolve this newest issue, I'm going to have to move to an iPhone, after 15 years as a BB owner.
    10-03-15 06:44 AM
    No, they're in the BB DB and backed up to Outlook on my laptop. I use gmail, and I HATE Google's calendar and its saving garbage to my contacts list. This is one reason that I have a BB and not an Android phone. If I can't resolve this newest issue, I'm going to have to move to an iPhone, after 15 years as a BB owner.
    I've never noticed that Google put any extra garbage to my contacts or calendars (3 active accounts). They seamlessly sync [knock-knock]. But, it's everybody's choice. I agree that a broken Link is a broken link, and should be fixed.
    RWB3325 likes this.
    10-03-15 07:13 AM

According to the info for Ultimate Backup on BBW, it only backs up to various cloud services, not Outlook.
    10-03-15 07:01 PM
    According to the info for Ultimate Backup on BBW, it only backs up to various cloud services, not Outlook.
    But it states you can backup to your SD card and phone storage, so you could copy them by hand to your computer and import them to Outlook, contacts and calendars can be saved in .csv formats for example, which can easily imported into Outlook.
    The description also states the app can e-mail the backup files to you, so you could simply open the mail on you computer, save the attachments and import them without connecting the phone. Else you could just attach them yourself, a good thing we are free to attach anything we want in our BB10 mails.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 09:41 PM
    Cloud storage is an extra option.

The app makes zipped folders containing the backup files on your device memory or sd card as per your choice.

Within the zipped folder the info is stored in 4 formats/ .csv and .html are accessible and editable on the PC.

The .csv file doesn't properly import the data in MS Outlook / at least it didn't when I first bought the app, there have been many updates since and I haven't checked this again/ you could contact the app developer to confirm this particular thing.

Options for backing up Contacts/Calendar?-img_20151004_153628.png

Options for backing up Contacts/Calendar?-img_20151004_153553.png

 Q5 / Z30
    10-04-15 05:12 AM
    Slightly OT

Whatever version of Link/BB10 was released about an year ago, it started messing up the backups etc.

I had reinstalled Windows & MS Office on my PC about 6 months back but this particular issue of contacts & calendar not syncing with MS Outlook didn't go away.

The main problem/ bug seems to be in Link -BB10 sync... and with the corporate shift towards PRIV etc., doesn't seem BlackBerry would fix it any time soon.

 Q5 / Z30
    Droidophobe likes this.
    10-04-15 05:24 AM
    I have started using Fruux to sync contacts between my phones (and desktop). This uses CardDAV for contacts and CalDAV for calendar. Only using for my contacts at the moment but seems quite smooth between all my phones. Go to fruux.com and check it out. It is cloud based and there are several other similar services available.
    10-04-15 08:02 AM
    Having to create and transfer files every time I want to "back up" my phone to Outlook is not useful to me.

I just looked at Fruux. Their system makes Fruux my primary calendar which I don't want.
    Last edited by Droidophobe; 10-04-15 at 01:36 PM.
    10-04-15 01:04 PM
    Having the same problem.
    Options for backing up Contacts/Calendar?-img-20151022-wa003.jpg
    10-22-15 09:22 AM
    You would think that BlackBerry would get off its backside and fix the problem, talk about not taking care of its present customers before trying to wow new with the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    ilverodonguido likes this.
    10-22-15 10:51 AM
    In the past 3 weeks, I have spent >20 hours on the phone with Tier 3 BB Tech Support. The bottom line for this problem is that the latest version of Link and the latest OS together no longer permit sync'ing of a local calendar to Outlook (desktop version). Period. You have to use a Link calendar setting in your phone associated with a specific computer and put all your calendar entries on it on the phone to sync with Outlook on that one computer. You cannot use the local BB device calendar. If you already have entries on a local calendar on your phone, you must change them manually, one at a time, to the Link calendar setting in order to sync them to Outlook. That Link calendar has to be associated with an Email address so appt requests in Emails can be applied to the calendar.

You also have to use a different Link calendar on your phone for every computer you use, and there is no cross-pollination of calendar entries. So you cannot sync a Link calendar with Outlook at work and then go home and sync the same calendar with a different home computer.

Contacts can be selected to cross-pollinate across local and Link calendars so they should sync OK with Outlook on different computers.

Bottom line is that even though it always worked before, I can no longer sync all the entries on my phone's local calendar to my computer, and it's going to require a lot of work to manually change them all so that I can. And BB made this change without any warning or solution.
    Option B is a cloud service (Outlook.com, Fruux, etc.)
    Option C is creating and transferring a bunch of files around (Ultimate Backup or similar)
    Option D is an iPhone.
    10-22-15 01:28 PM
    Blackberry Link really sucks
    Droidophobe likes this.
    10-22-15 02:48 PM
    Blackberry Link really sucks
    ^That actually seems to be the bottom line.
    10-22-15 04:30 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151003_122145.png 
Views:	413 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	374232

 Q5 / Z30
    This. It was on special or promo quite a while ago... :-)

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-22-15 04:42 PM
    According to the comments earlier in this thread and on BBW, Ultimate Backup won't work with Outlook. Has anyone actually used it successfully with Outlook?
    10-23-15 09:27 AM
    I did when it was first released, then some time back it just failed sucks the big rock.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 04:15 PM