05-03-11 04:37 PM
    So he seems to think QNX will not come to phones nor with there be an updated Torch... Hmm. I think that's says enough about the article right there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 04:45 PM
    So he seems to think QNX will not come to phones nor with there be an updated Torch... Hmm. I think that's says enough about the article right there.

well it's been a year since the torch came out right? and not successor in the foreseeable future, i sort of get his point, it is strange that they're not keeping with that model, seemed like a good idea to me. the fact that they didn't announce one means if they do make one it'll be next year, why the long delay?qnx phones are what next year? the ones just announced won't run it so ...
    05-03-11 04:47 PM
    well it's been a year since the torch came out right?
    No.

/10chars
    05-03-11 04:52 PM
    correction *8 months
    05-03-11 04:54 PM
    And how long has it been since we had a "proper" Bold update? . (I do not consider the 9700 a Bold "update".). The 9000 was a huge hit for RIM.

My point was, it seems a Torch 2 is coming. That's is all that he really seems to be upset about. That and he doesn't know QNX IS coming to phones. Eventually...

I hope he didn't get paid to write that article.

05-03-11 05:00 PM
    There will be a Torch 2, so I'm confused by the article. There was even some brief video showing one (link below is to the Rumored Section with the specs).

http://forums.crackberry.com/f236/bl...-specs-575708/
    05-03-11 05:19 PM
    PC Mag has been on a toilet grade journalism, downward spiral for quite sometime.....
    05-03-11 06:05 PM
    Yeah I goto PCMag for any kind of valuable information at all...

I'm at a loss to understand why RIM did not introduce an update to the Torch. Its first full-screen/physical keyboard smartphone was not a failure. But RIM has been treating it like one for months. Where, exactly, is the Verizon version of this BlackBerry? My Torch is only available on AT&T; a fact that made little sense considering how quickly RIM typically rolls out multiple carrier versions of its phones. Look at the new Bolds. They'll ship ready to work on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint.
    Somehow this guy missed all the statements about AT&T's investment in the Torch and the trend of exclusivity even going back to the Bold 9000... The exclusive devices were not the same devices that released on multiple carriers later on... This has always been true. Same deal with the Storm. If it ends up on another carrier it's because the exclusivity period was over by the time the new model came out (something like 2 years after the Storm 2?)...
    Last edited by papped; 05-03-11 at 06:14 PM.
    05-03-11 06:07 PM
    RIM may be the absolute slowest of any mobile company to do something right but the notion that they can possibly go backwards is pretty ridiculous.
    05-03-11 06:10 PM
    There's even a video of the torch2
    05-03-11 06:59 PM
    correction *8 months
    Only 8 months and we already know through the leaks that there is one on the way, so that is a pretty immediate fail for the article even before you move onto the fairly idiotic comment that Torch is only available on at&t when it is widely available and selling in great numbers globally, clearly at&t put in a big enough order that Rim got the sales they wanted from the states without going to the hassle of creating a separate cdma variant.
    05-04-11 04:13 AM
    well it's been a year since the torch came out right? and not successor in the foreseeable future, i sort of get his point, it is strange that they're not keeping with that model, seemed like a good idea to me. the fact that they didn't announce one means if they do make one it'll be next year, why the long delay?qnx phones are what next year? the ones just announced won't run it so ...

Torch came out in August I believe in the US, October in Canada.

so it has yet to be a year, so the FIRST new phone release should be the 9000 successor at that has been 3 years in the making, and it is the most desired phone from traditionalists, with the Full touchscreen following it, and 3rdly would be a Torch model

there are already rumoured touch successors coming, his issue is that it isn't first, and he feels like the 99XX is going the way of the Treo, but I greatly disagree, though the treo was an awesome device in it's day.
    05-04-11 08:34 AM
    My opinion is the writer is a clown. There are plenty of leaks, on more places than just Blackberry, for both the Torch 2, and the Monaco/Monza, as well as updated Curve offerings. RIM probably made a mistake in not showing at least the Monaco/Monza at BBW because "i Diot" tech bloggers out there assume that is the only new BB coming out.
    05-04-11 08:53 AM
    PC Mag has been on a toilet grade journalism, downward spiral for quite sometime.....
    BINGO! It is rubbish.

05-04-11 09:08 AM
    He sounds like a Spurned Lover if you ask me. To be quite frank, this guy has about as much journalistic ability as a HS kid who just got told "It's not You, it's Me."

05-04-11 09:39 AM
    Ok... it's all fact and he knows exactly what RIM needs to do and everything they did wrong. The smartphone world rests in his journalistic hands. Happy?
    05-04-11 04:42 PM
    Or how about this piece on today's edition?

Will Microsoft Buy RIM? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    05-05-11 05:39 PM
    The guys is trolling for hits, don't give him the benefit of your page views. I've actually used Monaco/Monza, it's definitely almost ready for carrier certification, if it isn't there already.

Some of the delays may be due to the carriers wanting to stagger the launch of their different phones, ie. don't launch a new Android phone the same week as a new BB. I would guess mid-early June for 9300, July for Monaco/Monza.
    05-05-11 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD