Just got off the phone with T-Mobile tech support for BlackBerry. She said they have over 45,000 Blackberry users in the USA and as long as they have Blackberry users, they will continue to support Blackberry for their customers. She said they had a focus group and she didn't get the feeling nor the opinion that T-Mobile was going to stop sending out updates for BlackBerry. She said she knows 10.2 has been out for about a year now, but the 10.2 is not compatible with T-Mobile right now. She said it keeps crashing the system and that they are working with BlackBerry to get a fix. She didn't know when it is supposed to be resolved. She said BlackBerrys' can and will be sold by T-Mobile, but will be sold through Her department which all I know is Tech support.
    Last edited by 1st-smartberry; 03-09-14 at 04:23 PM.
    03-09-14 04:09 PM
    .....i also told her what people were saying on the forums about T-Mobile stopping support for BlackBerry and that supposedly-others had spoken with T-Mobile and were told by representatives that BlackBerry would not get updates nor continue selling BlackBerry. She said she hasn't heard that but said T-Mobile will continue to support Blackberry as long as they have Blackberry users. When I had asked her when 10.2 would be out, she said that was the million dollar question. She said lots of people have been calling asking that very same question.
    03-09-14 04:13 PM
    Just got off the phone with T-Mobile tech support for BlackBerry. She said they have over 45,000 blackberry users in the USA and as long as they have Blackberry users, they will continue to support Blackberry for their customers. She said they had a focus group and she didn't get the feeling nor the opinion that T-Mobile was going to stop sending out updates for BlackBerry. She said she knows 10.2 has been out for about a year now, but the 10.2 is not compatible with T-Mobile right now. She said it keeps crashing the system and that they are working with BlackBerry to get a fix. She didn't know when it is supposed to be resolved. She said BlackBerry's can and will be sold by T-Mobile, but will be sold through Her department which all I know is Tech support.
    This is very similar to what Tmo BB support told me as well (except the actual age of 10.2 not really close to a year yet).

But be careful... you'll be bashed into smithereens around here for saying anything positive about a carrier... or for trying to point out the facts about BlackBerry's flawed OS update since 10.2...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-09-14 04:19 PM
    Haha-thx 4 the heads up!
    03-09-14 04:21 PM
    This is very similar to what Tmo BB support told me as well (except the actual age of 10.2 not really close to a year yet).

But be careful... you'll be bashed into smithereens around here for saying anything positive about a carrier... or for trying to point out the facts about BlackBerry's flawed OS update since 10.2...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    ... it's almost made me embarrassed to be a BlackBerry fan, when I see how ardently some refuse to accept the obvious... worse than iSheeple frankly...

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-09-14 04:22 PM
    I take it all with a grain of salt-too much: "he said, she said" going around. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
    03-09-14 04:26 PM
    Blackberry should be selling the phones direct to public and say "hell with carriers".
    Why is it so difficult? Verizon should also just drop it so BB can finally sell it direct. But who knows what's going on behind the scenes....

About carrier not pushing updates...Who cares, honestly? We all get our updates here anyway...
    03-09-14 04:43 PM
    Did somebody say there are only 45k blackberry users on T-Mobile? That is terrible. I had no idea it was that low. That isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    03-09-14 05:02 PM
    Did somebody say there are only 45k blackberry users on T-Mobile? That is terrible. I had no idea it was that low. That isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    Sounds like the perfect reason to drop BB from their lineup. 45k users is absolutely NOTHING.
    xandermac and bbq10l like this.
    03-09-14 05:08 PM
    Blackberry should be selling the phones direct to public and say "hell with carriers".
    Why is it so difficult? Verizon should also just drop it so BB can finally sell it direct. But who knows what's going on behind the scenes....

About carrier not pushing updates...Who cares, honestly? We all get our updates here anyway...
    The problem is that with TMO, they've spoiled us to a degree with WiFi calling (WFC,) which can be a pretty big deal for TMO customers. And if TMO BB10 users install a non-carrier OS, that breaks WFC. So that set expectation goes unmet. Now, if we were all on AT&T, Verizon, etc, or the TMO Z10 and Q10 never had WFC (like the Z30 that people are using,) it would be a much easier decision. Some people could still choose to hold out for the simple reason that they want an "official TMO approved OS," but most in the real world would install something.
    03-09-14 05:23 PM
    The problem is that with TMO, they've spoiled us to a degree with WiFi calling (WFC,) which can be a pretty big deal for TMO customers. And if TMO BB10 users install a non-carrier OS, that breaks WFC. So that set expectation goes unmet. Now, if we were all on AT&T, Verizon, etc, or the TMO Z10 and Q10 never had WFC (like the Z30 that people are using,) it would be a much easier decision. Some people could still choose to hold out for the simple reason that they want an "official TMO approved OS," but most in the real world would install something.
    Yup... we'll put.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-09-14 05:39 PM
    This thread specifically pertains to T-Mobile USA.

Yes it IS an app, and it is NOT a T-Mobile specific feature. It is a telecom standard.

IP Multimedia Subsystem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...mobile-820697/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...d-here-825827/

However in the USA, T-Mobile is probably the highest-profile carrier pushing this particular way of doing WiFi calling - in general this feature is mostly of interest for carriers which are at a disadvantage in geographical coverage compared to their competitors.

MetroPCS (in the process of being acquired by T-Mobile) also offers WiFi calling, via a system called joyn.
    MetroPCS launches Joyn, iMessage and Facetime rival - TechSpot
    http://www.metropcs.com/metro/suppor...+Wi-Fi+Calling

Sprint is now starting to offer WiFi calling, though I don't know which technology they use. (Most of these are some form of VoIP)
    Sprint launches WiFi calling, but only on two Samsung phones for now

T-Mobile used to use the UMA technology for this (And this was supported on older Blackberries), but they have changed over to a technology called IMS instead now.

Probably a key reason why this is slow to get implemented on BB10 is because it probably has to be built from scratch. The vendor for this technology that T-Mobile uses has frameworks for all sorts of smartphone platforms, but NOT BlackBerry 10:

MOVIAL - IP Communications Clients

And in fact, WiFi calling with BlackBerry 10.2.1 on T-Mobile has been working for over a month, someone who is beta-testing it has already demonstrated this (Post #23 in that thread):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...7/#post9947089
    I didn't make that post. Where did you quote that from? It links to a completely different thread/post for me as well.

I am not where how that arrived here because I didn't write it or post it in this thread.

I see no posts from me in this thread. So I'm not sure where you got that quote from. It links back to this post for me:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    03-09-14 11:01 PM
    just stop even mentioning tmobile. They are getting some free press which they dont need. The best thing we can all do is just move on. For those blackberry customers on tmobile its become painfully obvious you wont be supported so move carriers asap. These guys care about one thing. Themselves. They could care less about customer service and they just said so by having this release about how they will support phones that they sold. Thats bad business and frankly they should be ashamed of themselves and the best way to handle them is to stop talking about them.period.
    Most people would move platforms before they pay $30 a month more just to keep a blackberry phone.

You cannot be serious saying that. Are you?

bbq10l likes this.
    03-09-14 11:06 PM

And they can have fun being last in line for carriers to certify the products for the it network.

Have fun getting Verizon to activate an uncertain device. Nexus users found out the hard way.

03-09-14 11:08 PM
    And they can have fun being last in line for carriers to certify the products for the it network.

Have fun getting Verizon to activate an uncertain device. Nexus users found out the hard way.

Get the product certified by the carrier and then release it in the wild. There are a lot of Chinese imports in India of unknown origin and they work perfectly fine with the carriers. Seems to me that getting it certified by the carriers is just an eyewash.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 11:14 PM
    Get the product certified by the carrier and then release it in the wild. There are a lot of Chinese imports in India of unknown origin and they work perfectly fine with the carriers. Seems to me that getting it certified by the carriers is just an eyewash.

Posted via CB10
    Having a product launch delayed behind competitors by 2 weeks can affect sales quite a bit. If the carriers want to play dirty, they can. I don't think BlackBerry is in any position to go to war with them given their market position here.

03-09-14 11:17 PM
    Interestingly I just went to the T-Mobile website and several BB models are listed prominently for sale there. . Could the low level T-Mobile rep the OP spoke to have been wrong.
    03-10-14 12:04 AM
    Having a product launch delayed behind competitors by 2 weeks can affect sales quite a bit. If the carriers want to play dirty, they can. I don't think BlackBerry is in any position to go to war with them given their market position here.

Carriers are already playing dirty. Why not BlackBerry? The market for BlackBerry in the US ain't going to improve overnight and with the carriers pushing their reps to sell iPoo and DROID for incentives the market is going to go below the present 3%. So if BlackBerry does not have the money to push itself, like Apple and Google did, get out.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 03:02 AM
    Interestingly I just went to the T-Mobile website and several BB models are listed prominently for sale there. . Could the low level T-Mobile rep the OP spoke to have been wrong.

Well Rich, it sounds like you're late to the party with regards to T-Mobile news then.

As of the time that T-Mobile announced their faux Blackberry promotion (which is now ended), T-Mobile offered exactly ONE model of BlackBerry 10 device on their website:

A refurbished Q10. For $385 - ie $86.00-$96.00 more than Verizon and AT&T sell NEW ones for.

Only after being hounded by BlackBerry faithful on social media and so on because it was blatantly apparent they had little intention of selling people trying to take advantage of that trade-in promo an actual BlackBerry, did they relent and put the Z10 and NON-refurbished Q10 back on the website. (For anywhere between $130 and $160 more than what their competitors sell the same thing for, off contract)

Of course, they announced back in September 2013 that they were pulling BlackBerry products out of all their retail stores. And we have heard many, many accounts of how people bringing in those tradeins and trying to get a new BlackBerry were aggressively pressured to get a non-BB device with that trade-in. And of course there is little indication they have shown any interest whatsoever in carrying the Z30.

Which is why I call it a faux promotion.

As for the actual subject of THIS thread, I have already posted here (Post #59) that there is at least one person who has demonstrated that he has been running a build of 10.2.1 on a T-Mobile device, complete with WiFi calling feature which works just fine, for over a month now. (He's got carrier connections so he's essentially a beta tester)

Proof that WiFi calling IS working on OS 10.2.1 for over a month now
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-10-14 at 03:21 AM.
    zyben likes this.
    03-10-14 03:09 AM
    I didn't make that post. Where did you quote that from? It links to a completely different thread/post for me as well.

Correcting my correction.

Looks like I pasted an incorrect attribution into that followup. That text I was responding to was from sixpacker, as per the cite above the one naming you in that followup.

Obviously I got things mixed-up there. Sorry about the confusion.
    03-10-14 03:14 AM
    Well Rich, it sounds like you're late to the party with regards to T-Mobile news then.

As of the time that T-Mobile announced their faux Blackberry promotion (which is now ended), T-Mobile offered exactly ONE model of BlackBerry 10 device on their website:

A refurbished Q10. For $385 - ie $86.00-$96.00 more than Verizon and AT&T sell NEW ones for.

Only after being hounded by BlackBerry faithful on social media and so on because it was blatantly apparent they had little intention of selling people trying to take advantage of that trade-in promo an actual BlackBerry, did they relent and put the Z10 and NON-refurbished Q10 back on the website. (For anywhere between $130 and $160 more than what their competitors sell the same thing for, off contract)

Of course, they announced back in September 2013 that they were pulling BlackBerry products out of all their retail stores. And we have heard many, many accounts of how people bringing in those tradeins and trying to get a new BlackBerry were aggressively pressured to get a non-BB device with that trade-in. And of course there is little indication they have shown any interest whatsoever in carrying the Z30.

Which is why I call it a faux promotion.

As for the actual subject of THIS thread, I have already posted here (Post #59) that there is at least one person who has demonstrated that he has been running a build of 10.2.1 on a T-Mobile device, complete with WiFi calling feature which works just fine, for over a month now. (He's got carrier connections so he's essentially a beta tester)

Proof that WiFi calling IS working on OS 10.2.1 for over a month now
    The T-Mobile promo was not a sham. It was obvious that devices would not be in stores... hence the free overnight shipping.

I walked into a random Tmo store, as I was traveling, immediately when the promo started and traded in an old Curve for another Z10... which arrived the next day. There was no attempt to change my mind, just a simple transaction. This occurred before any of the "hounding" you reference so it was not a result of that.

And please... quit referring to the ONE person in the entire forum claiming that wifi calling works for him... as he's the person who misrepresented himself... so no I won't accept that as legitimate evidence.

FWI, I had it confirmed to me directly by Tmo BlackBerry support AGAIN yesterday that testing of wifi calling on 10.2.1 is still not stable and continues to crash servers... so it is NOT working reliably yet.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-10-14 07:31 AM
    Doesn't everyone do drop shipping of BB right now? Perhaps things will change if BB gets more popular again.
    03-10-14 07:58 AM
    I wonder....
    Is it Wifi calling or the crashing or their servers. The rationalizations are all over the place. And, no one still knows for sure except from what CSRS have told them. An official press release would shut everyone up on both sides of the issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 10:16 AM
    The T-Mobile promo was not a sham.

When you raise the price of the product $160 over what your competitors charge and then offer a "discount" of $200, then yes, it's a sham.

When your salespeople are almost universally arm-twisting people NOT to buy a Blackberry on that trade-in deal, then yes, it's a sham.

When your retail stores have no BlackBerry product available to either demonstrate or sell you, then yes, it's a sham.

When your website doesn't even show most of the desired BB10 products for sale until people hound them to change that, and even then the most desirable and recent BlackBerry product is nowhere to be found, then yes, it's a sham.

When your phone sales reps mostly seem to know nothing about the promo, tell customers either that they don't sell BlackBerry any more or that the company is out of business, then yes, it's a sham.

And please... quit referring to the ONE person in the entire forum claiming that wifi calling works for him... as he's the person who misrepresented himself... so no I won't accept that as legitimate evidence.

If you have actual evidence that that person was lying about having a working build of 10.2.1 on a T-Mobile phone complete with working WiFi Calling, then post it. Otherwise I will just assume you are passing around FUD.

FWI, I had it confirmed to me directly by Tmo BlackBerry support AGAIN yesterday that testing of wifi calling on 10.2.1 is still not stable and continues to crash servers... so it is NOT working reliably yet.

And I've had it confirmed to me directly by a representative of the Roman Catholic Church that other religions worship false gods.. so what? T-Mobile USA's credibility at this point is close to zero in my book, based upon their behaviour. And I've seen some fairly credible evidence that they are on a campaign to malign BlackBerry at this point as well, so that doesn't exactly take away from that impression.
    03-10-14 02:11 PM
    Doesn't everyone do drop shipping of BB right now? Perhaps things will change if BB gets more popular again.

I don't know what you're trying to say there. You mean ONLY drop shipping? No. Of course vendors will ship phones to you. Verizon oftentimes give you a discount if you order anything online, simply because it's cheaper for them than taking up retail staff time. But lots of people prefer to go into a retail store, see things in person, have it activated and setup before they walk out of the store with it. I'm one of those people. (Because among various other things, if I get a bad product online I am stuck with a nonworking thing and then I have to go through hoops to return it, and if something doesn't work right the burden-of-proof is on me rather than company reps to get it working. It's faster to pick up something retail than have it shipped. Etc.)

I wonder....
    Is it Wifi calling or the crashing or their servers. The rationalizations are all over the place. And, no one still knows for sure except from what CSRS have told them. An official press release would shut everyone up on both sides of the issue.

I love this "crashing of the servers" stuff. Sounds like pure bunkum if you ask me.
    03-10-14 02:18 PM
112 ... 2345