After reading about all the new products and integrations that Google announced yesterday, one thing is clear, BlackBerry will never be able to compete in the consumer market beyond smartphone devices. There's just no point in them creating wearables (or SDKs to go along with them), TV solutions, thermostats that talk to everything, etc etc. It's a waste of resources, time, and money.

I believe BlackBerry is on track to be the "back-end" for all these connected devices, much like it is already the back-end for all the new Auto-connectivity that is coming (Android Auto and Apple CarPlay). Is being the "brain" really a bad thing? Sure they don't get the recognition or fan-fare, but they do receive royalties/licensing dollars as these new products surface. Imagine if BlackBerry could receive royalties on every connected device that comes out in the future - - because they would all use a secure back-end that uses QNX as its brain.

In order to stay relevant to the general consumer though, BlackBerry needs to have full Android access in BB10 so that BlackBerry devices can connect to these IoT devices just as well as the other consumer devices on the market. A new smartwatch should not dictate what smartphone a person buys.

I really think this is where BlackBerry is headed. They're not going to come out with a BlackBerry Watch, or a BlackBerry Car, or a BlackBerry TV solution. They're going to be the brain that enables other manufacturers to create securely connected devices, because that's what their strength is.
    fescue1 likes this.
    06-26-14 07:36 AM
    Manufacturers should adopt QNX and pay "Fees" over just downloading and tweaking Android to their needs for free?
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-26-14 09:02 AM
    About full Android access I also wonder why can't we sign into ggogle maps and chrome etc if ios tinzen firefox windows etc can

Just don't know the gap. BlackBerry would be the ultimate machine giving you the best of both. Android is the most customisable os and BlackBerry the most secure

I can see my cake and eat it tooo

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 09:06 AM
    Manufacturers should adopt QNX and pay "Fees" over just downloading and tweaking Android to their needs for free?
    While they probably wouldn't use Android to replace QNX, there are embedded versions of Linux and BSD that are much more likely candidates.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-26-14 09:40 AM
    About full Android access I also wonder why can't we sign into ggogle maps and chrome etc if ios tinzen firefox windows etc can
    iOS is the only one of those that can sign into Google Services, and that's because Google has written a full suite of iOS Google Apps. iOS having 40+% of the US market and being the #2 mobile OS worldwide was enough to get Google's attention.

But Windows Mobile, Ubuntu Phone, Jolla Sailfish, Firefox, and obviously BB don't have Google-developed Google apps, and none of them are Google-certified Android phones, so they can't run the Android versions of these services.

Google isn't stupid - they wouldn't spend over a billion dollars developing Android and a huge app and services market just to let other companies steal it away from them. They have full control over Google Services, and by making them more and more compelling and necessary for tight integration with other devices, more and more devs will be using Google Services in their apps, by choice. This will lock out other OS platforms from using those apps, unless the developer decides to make a second version of their app without Google Services, which would mean much of the functionality that Google Services provided would be gone.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-26-14 09:48 AM
    So isn't Google missing out on advertisement from all those other platforms or do they make money off of their services beyond ads?

Seems they are cutting out a lot of revenue.
    06-26-14 09:54 AM
    So isn't Google missing out on advertisement from all those other platforms or do they make money off of their services beyond ads?

Seems they are cutting out a lot of revenue.
    The other platforms are too small in marketshare percentage to be worth developing native Google apps for them. And in a great many cases, those folks are still using Gmail and doing Google searches via the web browser, so Google still gets some data from them. Google is also well aware that some of the people using these niche mobile OSs are specifically trying to get away from Google and refuse to use any Google services, which gives them even less motivation to create Google apps for those platforms.

Remember that between iOS and Android alone, Google has access to about 96% of the global mobile market. It would be awfully expensive to go after the other 4%, when the money could be better spent (far better returns) continuing to improve their iOS and Android services.
    kbz1960 and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-26-14 10:07 AM
    QNX isn't the brain of the smartphone-based in-dash systems. It's the touchscreen display, microphone, and speakers.
    06-26-14 10:12 AM
    QNX isn't the brain of the smartphone-based in-dash systems. It's the touchscreen display, microphone, and speakers.
    How many brains do you have? 3 ?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 06:08 PM
    Guess what I do not get in this... usuing the OP's rational.. Should I not just buy an Android device and be done with it.... if Google services are the important... why go BB anyway???
    howarmat and kbz1960 like this.
    06-26-14 06:14 PM
    I think the only way BlackBerry will get full access to Android is if they build the BB10-skinned Android phone that has been discussed to death in other threads. And that would only happen, if at all, if all the forthcoming BB10 devices fail. Even then, there's nothing to indicate that a BB10-skinned Android wouldn't fail, but it would be the only arrow left in their handset quiver.
    06-26-14 06:16 PM
    Guess what I do not get in this... usuing the OP's rational.. Should I not just buy an Android device and be done with it.... if Google services are the important... why go BB anyway???
    Some people really like the BB10 UI, but want the Google services. That's the rationale.
    06-26-14 06:18 PM
    I think the only way BlackBerry will get full access to Android is if they build the BB10-skinned Android phone that has been discussed to death in other threads. And that would only happen, if at all, if all the forthcoming BB10 devices fail. Even then, there's nothing to indicate that a BB10-skinned Android wouldn't fail, but it would be the only arrow left in their handset quiver.
    There's not a lot of reason for them to do that, either. It risks a ton of brand confusion.

There are a lot of phones that don't hook into Google Play services. Android support is getting so good in BB10 it's almost like having two phones in one.
    06-26-14 06:23 PM
    Honestly this is your best bet. If you want all the goodies that google offers then buy an android device. Its an easy solution. BB is never going to get the access like this.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-26-14 06:25 PM