Heins was on the right track... Funniest thing I've heard all day. I assume that's why he was fired? Because he was on the right track?

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    09-28-15 12:03 PM
    BB10 will live on. No doubt.

  
    BarefootBerry likes this.
    09-28-15 12:09 PM
    Losing BB10 is very sad for me. I really think the OS is ahead of it's time. My son was showing me how he can swipe away and close his apps on his ios9 the other day.... I had to giggle a little. I can't imagine going back to a back button and working without all the gestures. I know it is just a phone but I am really bummed about this.If this os was installed on an iphone or android you would hear nothing but praises about it's brilliance. I know that anyone who I show it to had no idea BlackBerrys could do any of the things it does so well. Damn apps!!!
    09-28-15 12:38 PM
    Heins was on the right track... Funniest thing I've heard all day. I assume that's why he was fired? Because he was on the right track?

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    Yes he was by producing high quality products. Which stopped once he was let go. I didn't say he didn't make his mistakes to. But. I meant he was on the right track by making phones that people would want

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    09-28-15 01:20 PM
    Not to put too fine edge to the word abandon, the word simply means, in this case, that BlackBerry is turning it's back on loyal customers who fought through all the initial issues with BlackBerry 10 to realize what a gem BlackBerry 10 is.
    "fought"? That's a bit strong, huh? Users bought because of blind brand loyalty, the price was right, wanted something different, etc... If BlackBerry didn't deliver on some level, these loyalists would abandon...

I am one of those customers.

If Android was an answer for me there are already devices in the market that would suffice. And as you can surmise from my signature, I use a phone that is well spec'd.

For BlackBerry 's sake, I hope Priv succeeds for BlackBerry. But, I will not be buying one for at least two years, and that is only if Android as released by BlackBerry can come close to the BlackBerry 10 experience on my Passport.
    Yup, if they don't deliver to your expectations, you'll "abandon"... and they were "fighting" so hard to give everyone what they wanted...
    09-28-15 02:34 PM
    More I think about it, more pi$$sed I feel when they say 'secure the android first' ... do they realised being slaves to OHA and google policies the only security they can bring on board is poping those silly notification that warns people about what permissions are being violated by google? Let them have an androtting phone but I am sick of hearing talks about secure android. For stand alone users this Priv is as secure as a paper boat in storm.
    As many have pointed out, BlackBerry security is only truly secure with a BES server; otherwise, it's no better than Android or iOS, except for "security by obscurity", which means the user base is too small to be worth attacking.
    09-28-15 02:38 PM
    People have been crying for a high end all touch bb10 phone since the z10 was released. The z30 was a great choice at the time but it's been 2 years and yet still no high end all touch. Yet we get the passport niche the classic niche. The leap. We'll the leap. Yet still no high end all touch. So as far as I am concerned BlackBerry did this to them selves. They have still yet to give people what they have been asking for. And then can't figure out while sales are dropping. You take away the option s people will move on.

It's so frustrating to see the stupid mistakes this company is making. The z Line was late making them sub high end. hienz was on the right track they should have just stayed the course. Chen has completely destroyed the hand set market for BlackBerry
    Post #18 and #20 would disagree with you. A high-spec Q10 is the answer, not a full slab!

The true answer is to upgrade every form factor sold so far.
    09-28-15 02:40 PM
    Please don't fall into this line of thinking Prem. The app availability hasn't been solved they just completely migrated platforms. The apps availability probably will always exist. That is over now. Your new problems will lie within the android framework.

Posted via CB10
    And how doesn't that solve the app issue? New OS, apps available, issue solved for BlackBerry with new OS.
    09-28-15 02:50 PM
    As many have pointed out, BlackBerry security is only truly secure with a BES server; otherwise, it's no better than Android or iOS, except for "security by obscurity", which means the user base is too small to be worth attacking.
    I do understand that as an end user a blackberry phone is as vulnerable as any other phone in the wild. Nor it is an impregnable fortress without BES. As an ‘end point’ nothing beat a blackberry device. Those limitations on BB10 and inherent strength on BES are known and widely acknowledged facts.
    But now a days it has become fashionable to decry the scent little offering on the device itself, many many users are happy with simple things like anti theft protection, encrypting the device and SD card contents, photo lock and freedom to actually decide what permission they will allow an app to access on the phone itself.
    It may not be huge for 90% android rooting users and they laugh at 1% for being sukers for 'BESless' security but for the life of me I cannot understand why a stupid Taxi calling app need to access my entire contact list. I do have WhatsApp because unfortunately my BBM contacts went to 5 from 35. WhatsApp seriously r@pe my contact list, but that's all it does on my phone because after installing it I lock out permissions to bare minimum.
    When Priv android takes away even that little control away from me. I don’t know what really is a secure android, BES notwithstanding on both devices.
    Batibreaker likes this.
    09-28-15 03:16 PM
    I do understand that as an end user a blackberry phone is as vulnerable as any other phone in the wild. Nor it is an impregnable fortress without BES. As an ‘end point’ nothing beat a blackberry device. Those limitations on BB10 and inherent strength on BES are known and widely acknowledged facts.
    But now a days it has become fashionable to decry the scent little offering on the device itself, many many users are happy with simple things like anti theft protection, encrypting the device and SD card contents, photo lock and freedom to actually decide what permission they will allow an app to access on the phone itself.
    It may not be huge for 90% android rooting users and they laugh at 1% for being sukers for 'BESless' security but for the life of me I cannot understand why a stupid Taxi calling app need to access my entire contact list. I do have WhatsApp because unfortunately my BBM contacts went to 5 from 35. WhatsApp seriously r@pe my contact list, but that's all it does on my phone because after installing it I lock out permissions to bare minimum.
    When Priv android takes away even that little control away from me. I don’t know what really is a secure android, BES notwithstanding on both devices.
    Maybe wait until the Priv gets the Marshmallow update, when you'll get more app permissions control?

BlackBerry has shown the way with app permissions and it seems like the other platforms are adopting...
    09-28-15 03:34 PM
    People are freaking out as if BlackBerry is shutting down BB10 phones in the next 30 days. Relax, by the time the current generation of BB10 devices need to be replaced (in 1-3 years, depending on your need for apps) we will have seen two new generations of mobile phones. It's hard to predict what the UIs will be like, and what you'll want to do with your phone then

If you like BB10 now, relax and enjoy it. If you are frustrated with BB10 you now have a new option.

Just because the handwriting is on the wall for BB10 does not mean your phone will suddenly stop working.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 03:35 PM
    Ubuntu and Jolla (Sailfish OS) both good enough for now (they are still new).

Now kill BB10 if you wish, but open source it before you do that :P
    09-28-15 03:36 PM
    Unfortunately he's right. No developer is going to want to create 4 platforms of one app. They have to constantly update all of them.

We can barely get the developers to update facebook.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 04:02 PM
    "fought"? ... and they were "fighting" so hard to give everyone what they wanted...
    Really?????????

I hope you are being sarcastic!

If you read through these threads, therein lies the problem - BlackBerry did not really try to deliver what people wanted.

For me the Passport is an excellent device, but I feel badly for those who wanted and/or needed a high end full touch BlackBerry circa 2015.

In addition, BlackBerry needed to be marketing BlackBerry 10 and wining and dining developers for BlackBerry 10.

As hard as it is for me to say, BlackBerry wasted precious resources on phones nobody wanted due to the app ecosystem. Every device after the Z30 was a disaster due to apps. The resources expended needed to be directed to marketing and app development.

The Priv may solve the app ecosystem but at the price of moth balling the excellent BlackBerry 10 OS.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2639 on T-Mobile
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    09-28-15 04:10 PM
    Really?????????

I hope you are being sarcastic!
    I was, thus the quotes around "fighting". I was being sarcastic with your framing of the situation as a great battle "fought" by BlackBerry loyalist to keep BlackBerry afloat. In reality, the loyalist bailed in droves with very few remaining and those remaining are ready to bail at a moment's notice. The real loyalists will be the ones that will stick with them no matter what OS is under the BlackBerry banner.

If you read through these threads, therein lies the problem - BlackBerry did not really try to deliver what people wanted.
    Let's see... loyal BBOS7 users only wanted the same, only better specs, which was a dwindling group because some of them saw something better in going Android or iOS. BlackBerry made a point to produce a full touch, to match Android/iOS. They then adapted the Bold to the Q10... few takers. They saw that users were buying up large screen devices, so the Z30. Maybe the existing BBOS7 users were baulking at the prices of the Z10/Q10... so the Z3/Leap/Q5 were developed. Oh, the Q10's flaw was that they skipped the toolbelt... nope, people asked for it but ultimately didn't buy. Okay, do something crazy, shake it up with the Passport. Huge freak out from the users, which eventually said, "Oh, it's an excellent device".

BlackBerry has been trying to please users too much. Apple produces whatever it produces and tries to convince you that it's what you need. BlackBerry was trying to follow its fickle users.

For me the Passport is an excellent device, but I feel badly for those who wanted and/or needed a high end full touch BlackBerry circa 2015.

In addition, BlackBerry needed to be marketing BlackBerry 10 and wining and dining developers for BlackBerry 10.
    Marketing was lacking, true, but they tried wining and dining developers. The key ones, Netflix, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, etc. didn't care.

As hard as it is for me to say, BlackBerry wasted precious resources on phones nobody wanted due to the app ecosystem. Every device after the Z30 was a disaster due to apps. The resources expended needed to be directed to marketing and app development.

The Priv may solve the app ecosystem but at the price of moth balling the excellent BlackBerry 10 OS.
    I like BB10 like most here, but I do realize that this board is full of people asking for apps or complaining about not having certain native apps. That's what the users are telling BlackBerry, through message boards and lack of sales. They're trying to deliver what users want, just not what /you/ personally want.
    09-28-15 04:29 PM
    Doom and gloom. Nothing is set in stone. He's just weighing options and thinking / talking out aloud...

No problem with that. Still, QNX will continue, and so will the BB10 OS, although on a lower level now that the apps availability problem has been solved using another OS... :-)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    I believe that is the problem - there has been a great deal of "talking out loud". However, unlike some other executives who have attempted and the few who succeed in massive turn arounds, Chen has prevaricated, and I use the word intentionally.

While I do not truly follow in depth, I have never had the impression of a vision, of clarity of desire from Chen. Survival, existence and continuance have been his mantra, but in a very opportunistic way. To exaggerate in an extremely silly way, if Chen thought BB could survive manufacturing the hardware and software for household appliances connected to the "internet of things", he would while jettisoning the BB legacy.
    crackberry_geek and BuryLancs like this.
    09-28-15 07:10 PM
    You forgot to add "NOT" to your not-joke.

Posted via CB10
    Nope.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 07:16 PM
    At this point, Chen's looking at the big picture. He knows Android with Google Play Services has apps.

People like apps.

People like phones.

But people assume the BlackBerry name is tarnished (which it really is.)

So, in essence JC is hoping that with all the tech-buzz going around the Priv, people might actually buy this phone.

This phone will run their favourite apps.

If it becomes a hit, then yes, BB10 will die in a year. Right now it's in maintenance mode

It has been for a year now.

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    Are you kidding? Technology companies don't do "Maintenance" mode. rewind to 2007. What the hell do you think got BB to this point in time. Kicking back and doing nothing kills these types of companies. If BB was going to keep BB10 they would have said so. There would be no reason to hide it. There is a big reason to hide it's demise. Am I the only one who see's "PLAYBOOK" here? really? I am really amazed at the members here and how you have mostly all embraced what was the worst OS out there. If someone had suggested 2 years ago to do this you all would have run him outta here. BB pitches the idea and you all jump up saying how great an idea it is. After this, don't think that you are any different than the iMore members.. LOL
    acovey and BuryLancs like this.
    09-28-15 07:31 PM
    I believe that is the problem - there has been a great deal of "talking out loud". However, unlike some other executives who have attempted and the few who succeed in massive turn arounds, Chen has prevaricated, and I use the word intentionally.

While I do not truly follow in depth, I have never had the impression of a vision, of clarity of desire from Chen. Survival, existence and continuance have been his mantra, but in a very opportunistic way. To exaggerate in an extremely silly way, if Chen thought BB could survive manufacturing the hardware and software for household appliances connected to the "internet of things", he would while jettisoning the BB legacy.
    I'm guessing he's smart enough to know that IoT isn't going to happen overnight and have seen the lessons from HP and Nokia. The previous CEO of HP tried to turn HP into a software services company and started to jettison hardware. Unfortunately for him, that was where all of HP's revenue was coming from. He was fired in less than a year. In Nokia's case, they jettisoned Symbian before Windows Phone was ready and ended up losing their entire hardware division.

Hardware may be losing money for BlackBerry but those revenue numbers do count for something. A company that's losing money could stop making whatever it is they're making and basically have no products to sell at all. Losing money attempting to make product, which is a "chance" at turning things around, is better than having no product at all, which is immediate death.
    JeepBB and BuryLancs like this.
    09-28-15 07:48 PM
    Are you kidding? Technology companies don't do "Maintenance" mode. rewind to 2007. What the hell do you think got BB to this point in time. Kicking back and doing nothing kills these types of companies. If BB was going to keep BB10 they would have said so. There would be no reason to hide it. There is a big reason to hide it's demise. Am I the only one who see's "PLAYBOOK" here? really? I am really amazed at the members here and how you have mostly all embraced what was the worst OS out there. If someone had suggested 2 years ago to do this you all would have run him outta here. BB pitches the idea and you all jump up saying how great an idea it is. After this, don't think that you are any different than the iMore members.. LOL
    Um... there are folks here who have been saying BlackBerry should have gone Android years ago...

BlackBerry has these options on the table:

1. Continue building BB10 devices and have every review say it's a great device with BB10, but there are no apps and/or the Android Runtime can't run everything without Google Services. This road has already seen declining sales, which makes carriers reluctant to carry the devices and no amount of marketing will help if consumers can't go down to a store and be able to buy the devices.

2. Adopt Android and spend their resources securing Android to some level acceptable to Enterprise, which at this point, doesn't seem to high a standard as most Enterprises are okay with the security level in Android. BlackBerry can only make it better.

People here don't want BB10 to die, but if BlackBerry were to die, there would be no BB10 at all. Going Android will at least keep the business alive, hopefully, and maybe there will be enough resources one day to update BB10, if BlackBerry wants to expand their security beyond what Android is capable of /and/ the Enterprise side still doesn't care about apps. The consumer side will always want apps.
    09-28-15 08:04 PM
    still got 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 coming...
    09-28-15 11:15 PM
    Still a clickbait post. Sounds as if Chen openly said "we iz gonna stops BB10".

Posted via CB10
    Chen NEVER says anything openly. As native Americans say "he speaks with a forked tongue"
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-15 11:31 PM
    If BlackBerry could just get one last rotation in of high-spec'd BB10 phones out on the market before they "kill it off", I know I'd be one happy camper.

All I want is a better spec'd Classic/Q10, is that too much to ask? :/

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    09-28-15 11:54 PM
    In my opinion, there's no sense thinking about it. If Chen really wants to ditch BlackBerry 10 OS, it will happen regardless of what consumers say. If it does happen, then I'll probably switch on another platform, but as long as BlackBerry 10 is there, I'm gonna utilize it. After all, it's still "just a phone".

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    extisis, TgeekB, Kesharik4 and 1 others like this.
    09-28-15 11:55 PM
    Chen NEVER says anything openly. As native Americans say "he speaks with a forked tongue"
    Chen's most remarkable ability is to speak for ever without saying ANYthing

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    09-29-15 01:29 AM
188 1234 ...